Titleist 714 AP2 - THP Review Thread

Had these out for a maiden round, today. Some ugly swings, and a few good ones. For the good swings, really nice ball flight , and good spin on approach shots. Sound and feel great. I'm still fighting too much right-to-left movement, but that's me, not the clubs.

glad to see you are liking these and whats the cause of your right-left miss?

glad to see you are liking these and whats the cause of your right-left miss?

It's my natural shot shape, but I have developed a pretty nasty casting motion, so also flipping at impact, which exaggerates the miss.

Had these out for a maiden round, today. Some ugly swings, and a few good ones. For the good swings, really nice ball flight , and good spin on approach shots. Sound and feel great. I'm still fighting too much right-to-left movement, but that's me, not the clubs.

Glad you got these out there today. How was the forgiveness ?

Glad you got these out there today. How was the forgiveness ?

Not too bad, actually. Slight toe, and slight thin seem to turn out pretty well (my main miss is toe-side). I get very few heel-ish hits, so can't comment on that. I hit a couple of chunkers, early in the round, that didn't go anywhere... My previous G25s would have helped there, but no sense in comparing G25s for AP2s - obviously, completely different clubs.

Not too bad, actually. Slight toe, and slight thin seem to turn out pretty well (my main miss is toe-side). I get very few heel-ish hits, so can't comment on that. I hit a couple of chunkers, early in the round, that didn't go anywhere... My previous G25s would have helped there, but no sense in comparing G25s for AP2s - obviously, completely different clubs.

I'm a toe guy miss too. As you said, these aren't GI clubs by any means, but I do think they are pretty forgiving out to the toe.

Put a full round in, yesterday, and am liking the irons even more. Most of my misses were thin, and the AP2s proved to be more than capable of helping with that. I pulled my hybrid and put the gap wedge in - smart move, as it was used for at least 5 shots, and the hybrid would have been used for 1 or 2.

Having these paired with the Recoils might be one of the better equipment decisions I have made. No joint pain at all after rounds or practice, even when hitting off of mats, and the ball flight remains predictable, both in trajectory and direction.

Last edited:
I'm torn between these and the AP1's... I'm a 12 Handicap, decent ball striker... I make up for it with my game inside 100 yards. Looking for something that's going to increase consistency while still give me optimum performance when I hit that sweet spot. Either clubs seem like a good fit for me, I'm just wondering how to decide... I have AP2's right now from 6-4 and I hit them okay, although they are the harder of the set to hit. Any ideas?

I'm torn between these and the AP1's... I'm a 12 Handicap, decent ball striker... I make up for it with my game inside 100 yards. Looking for something that's going to increase consistency while still give me optimum performance when I hit that sweet spot. Either clubs seem like a good fit for me, I'm just wondering how to decide... I have AP2's right now from 6-4 and I hit them okay, although they are the harder of the set to hit. Any ideas?

I would hit the AP1's in the longer irons to see. I've been looking at either AP1's or AP2's myself, similar handicap. The AP2's are solid irons, but AP1's just offer that little bit more. On shots out of the middle of the club, honestly I didn't notice much difference, slight distance difference with AP1's, but nothing major, maybe half club difference. The major difference being when it's not the middle of the club. The AP1's had little distance loss and very little dispersion differences when not hit out of the middle, compared to the AP2's.

For me anyways, that every confidence knowing that if I'm not hitting the ball perfectly that day, that I can still have some consistency outweighs everything I like about the AP2's. Again, it will be personal preference, but I see no shame in hitting the AP1's to see the results yourself.

I might go AP 1's man. Why not. If you are looking for that extra forgiveness it just makes sense. I get your issue though. The AP2's are sooooooo gorgeous.

That's exactly it. The AP2's are stunning clubs that offer forgiveness as well. I'm completely torn...

They won't offer the same level of forgiveness. With a set like the AP1's that (in my opinion) look great and offer what you are seeking, I see zero reason why you would go elsehwere from what you are describing as a goal. No reason other than aesthetics, which is a silly reason in my book. Especially knowing the AP1's feel good and still have such a nice profile. That's just me though.

That's exactly it. The AP2's are stunning clubs that offer forgiveness as well. I'm completely torn...

I guess I just dont see even a close level of forgiveness between the 1s and 2s.

I guess I just dont see even a close level of forgiveness between the 1s and 2s.

Could the forgiveness maybe be relative to the whole 714 line? Compared to the CBs, the AP2s offer more forgiveness. But to compare the AP2s to the AP1s in terms of forgiveness seems like a stretch with the AP2s.

Could the forgiveness maybe be relative to the whole 714 line? Compared to the CBs, the AP2s offer more forgiveness. But to compare the AP2s to the AP1s in terms of forgiveness seems like a stretch with the AP2s.

Definitely more than the CB's, if not for the tungsten weights alone. I'm just basing my comment on what JOEE stated in the AP1 thread as to what he's looking for right now.

Definitely more than the CB's, if not for the tungsten weights alone. I'm just basing my comment on what JOEE stated in the AP1 thread as to what he's looking for right now.

I know. I am just trying to stretch the thinking I guess.

They won't offer the same level of forgiveness. With a set like the AP1's that (in my opinion) look great and offer what you are seeking, I see zero reason why you would go elsehwere from what you are describing as a goal. No reason other than aesthetics, which is a silly reason in my book. Especially knowing the AP1's feel good and still have such a nice profile. That's just me though.

Definitely appreciate the advice. My only concern is I'm playing 710 AP2's in my long irons right now and I'm hitting them decent. The AP2's are still going to give me a lot more forgiveness than I'm currently experiencing.

Definitely appreciate the advice. My only concern is I'm playing 710 AP2's in my long irons right now and I'm hitting them decent. The AP2's are still going to give me a lot more forgiveness than I'm currently experiencing.

Maybe, but the forgiveness difference is quite small (between 710 & 714 ap2 lines)

Maybe, but the forgiveness difference is quite small (between 710 & 714 ap2 lines)

Definitely. I contemplated just buying PW-7 iron, but I'd rather have all the same clubs. The only way I'd split is if I went AP1/AP2.

The weights are what's pulling me to the AP2's, not to mention the aesthetics which is complete gravy. The only sure way to know is to go to GolfTown and hit them both side by side. Has anyone done that here?

Definitely. I contemplated just buying PW-7 iron, but I'd rather have all the same clubs. The only way I'd split is if I went AP1/AP2.

The weights are what's pulling me to the AP2's, not to mention the aesthetics which is complete gravy. The only sure way to know is to go to GolfTown and hit them both side by side. Has anyone done that here?

I've hit both, as I was in the same boat.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...eview-Thread&p=2948824&viewfull=1#post2948824

If I were to change anything with my iron set-up, I would consider an AP1 in 4 thru 6 (most likely a 4 and 5). Hmmm... That's going to become a current ponder.

If I were to change anything with my iron set-up, I would consider an AP1 in 4 thru 6 (most likely a 4 and 5). Hmmm... That's going to become a current ponder.

I was considering this myself. Sounds like Zach Johnsons setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was considering this myself. Sounds like Zach Johnsons setup.

Yep, he plays an AP1 4 iron. My ponder didn't last long; found a 4 and 5 iron; should be here later this week, then off for a re-shaft.

There was no comparison when I hit these beside the AP1's. Unless you're really confident that you're a good ball striker, I can't see why you'd buy these over the AP1's. They're still great clubs, but for a better than average ball striker I'd say.

There was no comparison when I hit these beside the AP1's. Unless you're really confident that you're a good ball striker, I can't see why you'd buy these over the AP1's. They're still great clubs, but for a better than average ball striker I'd say.

I don't think they are targeted for the same player. The AP 2 is a players iron

Back