Adams 2014 Pro Hybrid Review Thread

Sounds like a 3-h is what you are looking for. Hard to say whether you should go with the mini or not.

I'm in a dilemma at the moment I'm
Currently gaming a cally x hot pro at 16* but to be honest it's a little too close to my 3 wood and too far from my next iron which is 4!

So lofts?? What are your thoughts?

Second problem do I go pro or mini???? Is the mini that different to last years proto? Other than paint and shaft??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Pro and the Mini are awesome, but I would say Pro for 2 reason, 1 being the slightly larger head inspires a bit more confidence and 2, the Aldila Tour Red is a bit higher launching and more appropriate.

I am sort of on the fence with this club (I have the 20* Aldila Tour Red S). I swapped it out for my trusty amp cell 3H for one round this weekend, then the next day put the Adams back in my bag. I'm not a huge fan of the heavy draw bias. My normal shot shape is straight or a little fade, but not with this club. I like everything else about it... but it is a draw machine for sure. Now, when the shot calls for it, it's great. super easy to turn it left - in fact, I used it off the tee today on a very short left-turning 265yd par 4. I put it up over the inside tree and I was 10 yards off the green and exactly where I wanted to be... but not many holes like that are out there. it's great for punch shots, too... but if I want to hit a straight shot or even fade it, I have to really try. like I said, I don't know.

What makes you think it's a draw biased hybrid? Especially in relation to the Amp Cell?

What makes you think it's a draw biased hybrid? Especially in relation to the Amp Cell?

I don't find It to be draw biased at all either if I am being honest. Pretty much the opposite of draw biased

because of the shot shape I get with it in comparison to my amp cell. The Adams will be a draw nearly every time. The Amp Cell won't.

This club is definitely not draw bias. If it were, I would be hooking this thing severely. It produces whatever swing you put on it. I get either straight or a nice draw from this club. I have produced a few fades, but that is not typically the shot that I want with this club.

Well, everything must be draw biased if we're using that criteria for me lol. Must be something else going on, because by nature it's not really a draw biased club. Not saying it doesn't produce a left moving ball for you, but just to clarify for readers.

This club is definitely not draw bias. If it were, I would be hooking this thing severely. It produces whatever swing you put on it. I get either straight or a nice draw from this club. I have produced a few fades, but that is not typically the shot that I want with this club.

ok well call it whatever you like, but for me, this club has a draw flight where all of my other hybrids do not. When I get a draw nearly every time from a club, but my normal shot shape is straight to fade, then I call that a draw bias.

FWIW, I got the same feedback from another much better golfer than myself when I lent it to him to try out. "why does it want to go left so much?"

I hit this club a few times in a scamble the other day and I just need more time with it. I am getting the distance I want with this club, and feel that I just need to work with it as I'm losing everything right. I know it is the Indian and not the arrow though.

ok well call it whatever you like, but for me, this club has a draw flight where all of my other hybrids do not. When I get a draw nearly every time from a club, but my normal shot shape is straight to fade, then I call that a draw bias.

FWIW, I got the same feedback from another much better golfer than myself when I lent it to him to try out. "why does it want to go left so much?"

Probably has more to do with the shaft than it being draw biased.

Probably has more to do with the shaft than it being draw biased.

possibly. It's the only aldila tour red I own. But, the other gentleman I was talking about has the tour blue in all of his hybrids and woods, and he had the same experience.

I've hit all the Adams hybrids quite a bit over the last two days to get some final thoughts together before I write the review. Going to copy/paste this post in each thread to save a little time.

I have to say that I probably wouldn't play any of them long term. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but they just aren't great matches for me and I have much better results from some others.

Good swings with the Pro deliver a pretty piercing ball that is reasonably long, but for a hybrid that I'd be hitting into greens I'm not sure I can deal with the trajectory. Lots of balls showed that it delivered the highest ball out of the three Pro series hybrids, but even then it wasn't that high/soft shot that most are looking for in a hybrid. Misses were pretty penal compared to some others as well, with this one being the kindest to misses.

I go back and forth on the feel. It's muted. Is that a good or bad thing - I guess that's up to the individual, but when I really put down a good swing I love to hear/feel a sound that reflects that - like the X2Hot, Mashie, Super LS, etc.

Of the turf I think they lag behind a little bit compared to many others as well. With that all said, these are better player hybrids, and I'm me. Probably not the target market, even on the internet.

If I could pick a favorite, it would probably be the Mini, and I'd use it pretty much exclusively off the tee. Windy days or firm fairways would make that a decent option, but that's makes the club pretty one dimensional. It's not a club made people that miss either. Big difference in center contact and elsewhere.

The Dhy feels absolutely harsh on lower face or heel side misses. As in it made my hands hurt, which was unexpected. If I was going to keep that club it would have one job - punch shots. It sends some low rockets out there, but again - that's one dimensional for a hybrid. A stronger player could probably do more with it though.

In all, a bunch a quality clubs, but the Tour focus is pretty apparent.

Totally agree with you on the dhy. Just brutal feel and something I had no business trying to swing.

Totally agree with you on the dhy. Just brutal feel and something I had no business trying to swing.

Center is fine. Not center is shocking. I must have really been hitting it well the last time I was out with it, because I didn't notice that at all until yesterday. Ouch.

Center is fine. Not center is shocking. I must have really been hitting it well the last time I was out with it, because I didn't notice that at all until yesterday. Ouch.

My first was was ehh, the end and 3rd were flush and I was like ok here we go. Then I missed a smudge and it felt like I was hitting balls in 20* weather.

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one that noticed that. It was in the 30's yesterday too. I wanted to run home to mommy.

The DHY is good for that...

It's a very good thing there is a more robust hybrid from adams.

I didn't find the pro that harsh on mishits. What I did find was that with poor swings it was not as forgiving as others in the same category, but what it did do is force me to swing with a smoother. Smooth swing is rewarded with a piercing trajectory & distance for me.

Hawk, did you notice the mishits being a result of trying to "get after" one as opposed to smoother swings?

I didn't find the pro that harsh on mishits. What I did find was that with poor swings it was not as forgiving as others in the same category, but what it did do is force me to swing with a smoother. Smooth swing is rewarded with a piercing trajectory & distance for me.

Hawk, did you notice the mishits being a result of trying to "get after" one as opposed to smoother swings?

Oh, I didn't think the Pro was harsh. Just the Dhy.

Mishits came when I wasn't sequencing right. Upper body getting out in front of the lower. Mostly smothered hooks that were really low, which is my miss with basically everything when I start doing that.

Oh, I didn't think the Pro was harsh. Just the Dhy.

Mishits came when I wasn't sequencing right. Upper body getting out in front of the lower. Mostly smothered hooks that were really low, which is my miss with basically everything when I start doing that.

Agreed. I still can't figure out the love for the DHy, I have never once hit a shot with it that felt good.

The Pro on the other hand, a definite upgrade over the Super 9031. Its either the head or the Tour Series shaft. Either way it fits the bill nicely, not explosive long like the X2Hot Pro, but just right for targeted distance.

I hit this for the first time yesterday, and while I won't run out and buy it right away, I think that this club is what I was hoping the DHy would be - a perfect precise distance gapping hybrid. It's not "what the hell club did I just hit" long, but it flies a very predictable distance consistently, and with a very piercing iron like trajectory. I was hitting the 20* about the same distance as I hit my 22* X Hot (the X Hot actually has a slightly longer shaft), but with a lower trajectory.

This club's strength though is that it has little offset for a hybrid and is very easy to work one way or the other. And I don't hesitate to say that it is the best feeling hybrid I have ever hit, bar NONE. Just solid and pure on a center strike, muted sound and iron-like "nothing" feel. I would seriously consider these if you like long irons but can't hit them solid consistently.

Another trip to range yesterday and I'll echo my earlier thoughts. When I put a smooth swing on it, it worked flawlessly. When I didn't, it was obvious. That said, it is making me swing a little smoother and that is carrying over the rest of the bag.
I'm not looking for crazy long, just dependable. I'm getting that. Flush 215-220 yards, every time.

Many thanks to the contributors on this thread - it's the most comprehensive review of the Adams hybrid getting around.

Does anyone have a view on whether either the 20deg or 23deg is the right hybrid for the high, soft landing shot that goes around 200 yards? Or should I be looking at another hybrid for that?

A number of reviews here suggest this club produces more of a stinger-type ball flight rather than the high/soft outcome I'm looking for, particularly on the long par-3s. I realise there's many assumptions built into the above (swing speed, plane etc), but any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks to the contributors on this thread - it's the most comprehensive review of the Adams hybrid getting around.

Does anyone have a view on whether either the 20deg or 23deg is the right hybrid for the high, soft landing shot that goes around 200 yards? Or should I be looking at another hybrid for that?

A number of reviews here suggest this club produces more of a stinger-type ball flight rather than the high/soft outcome I'm looking for, particularly on the long par-3s. I realise there's many assumptions built into the above (swing speed, plane etc), but any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I've hit the Pro on a few occasions and have the XTD version in my bag currently; I'd say that if your looking for a high ball flight that lands softly you might have to look at higher lofts than you expect or change shafts. The Adilla Tour Red in this club is a good fit in my opinion to get the ball up in the air. These clubs by Adams are rocket launchers and hit the ball farther than previous hybrids I've hit in the past few years so needs to be accounted for when analyzing your gaps. The XTD with the stock Redtie doesn't launch real high if that's what you are looking for but the Adilla Red may be better suited for that.

Best thing you can do of course is get one to try outside and see how the ball reacts to your swing and the distances you get out of it to see if it fit's what your looking for in a hybrid.

Back