Same Brand Irons-Wedges

Ricky_davis13

College Student
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.4
Hey all,

do you guys see a correlation in any way when you play the same brand wedges as you do irons (ie. playing Mack Daddy 2s when playing Callaway Irons or playing Vokeys and playing Titleist Irons)? Or do you believe it doesnt matter? And if you do currently play differing wedges, would you expect to see different results if you played same brand wedges?:cool:

No preference. I did get my current wedges with Callaway irons, but have used them with several sets since. Before these I used Adams wedges and didn't have any Addams clubs. Until a few years later when I tested some Adams irons and hybrids.

Doesn't matter at all to me. Currently gaming mizuno irons with taylormade wedges. I just look for what feels and performs best in each category when selecting sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to keep them the same company as my irons. And my driver and fairway woods all the same. Kind of picky about it. But I am looking at other brands as well. So it is not set in stone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do worry about them matching my irons but i like them to match each other

I think picking the same brand when you are looking at blade wedges has more to do with looks or your like for certain features that brand offers.

For me, I found that having similar or the same shafts helps with consistency on full shots with my wedges. The shaft weight between brands/flexes can be pretty significant.

With that in mind, if you have GI irons, picking a set that has matching GI/cavity back style heads with the exact same shaft would probably feel just like the rest of your short irons. I can't speak from experience, but I know a lot of people here loved the A wedge in their Taylormade Speedblade sets.

Thanks for all the replies guys!! im in the process of getting Callaway Xhot Pro irons and am wondering if getting the Mack Daddys will improve my game based on the fact that i have irons from the same brand!

I don't think it matters at all. Play what works best for you from each category.

No difference. Its not as if you clubs are going to not get along if they arent all the same brand.

I am using TaylorMade irons, one Titleist wedge and one Hopkins wedge.

I owned my TM wedges before I had my TM RocketBladez. I guess it is nice that they match now but certainly not something necessary.

As an interesting point, I play my 52 more like a true wedge than my PW. TBH, I consider my PW as a 10 Iron and tend to pick with it rather than go for descending blows back in my stance like my wedges.

Hey all,

do you guys see a correlation in any way when you play the same brand wedges as you do irons (ie. playing Mack Daddy 2s when playing Callaway Irons or playing Vokeys and playing Titleist Irons)? Or do you believe it doesnt matter? And if you do currently play differing wedges, would you expect to see different results if you played same brand wedges?:cool:

I play different wedges than my irons, my irons are Mizuno and the only difference for me is looks, both the Nike and mizuno wedges perform the same and have the same lofts, bounce, and shafts.

No difference here. I believe I will get the same results with pretty much any wedge thus I picked mine 100% because I wanted continuity through my bag.

Doesn't make a difference. Callaway wedges and Adams irons for me.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Doesnt matter to me. I like my Cleveland wedges over the Taylormade versions, so thats what I hit.

I always match brand with irons now days but there has been a few exceptions over the years.

I like my gap wedge to match my iron set (not just brand, but model too), but the other two can be anything related or not.

Wilson irons and Cleveland wedges or a Hopkins wedge. I get the results I want from both wedges and would expect the same/similar results from any wedge I dropped in the bag.

My iron set is taylormade 4-pw & aw, the aw has the ATV sole and it has been really good to me so i bought the ATV wedges.

I only got mine because i got fit into them. Im not complaining, i love my wedges and I will test other brands and models when it comes time to replace them.

I think wedges are pretty personal. The wedge shape doesn't always match the OEM irons so I don't think it's a big deal to play different brands. Personally I play mizuno irons and cleveland wedges.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I went from cally irons a mizuno wedge and 2 cally wedges to mizuno irons and the same cally wedges. I don't think it makes any difference other then My gap wedge now matches my iron set instead of being a blade.

I don't think it's necessary to match irons and wedges in terms of brand or OEM. Irons you're swinging somewhere between a full shot and a 3/4 shot, maybe with a 3/4 and choking down an inch or something. By comparison, wedges have myriad different shots; full shots, 3/4 shots, 9 o'clock shots, 7:30 shots, chips, pitches, sand shots. What you're expecting from a wedge and what you're expecting from an iron are pretty different. To that end, tune according to your needs, not because you have a similar iron set.

It doesn't bother me if they are different brands, I just go with what works for me.

Back