Niblick Unboxing & Thread

I think the 49 Niblick will fill that gap nicely for you. Also, you might find that you can use it off the fairway because I think way it plays feels between the 42 and the 56.

Will a 28* hybrid will usally play longer than a 28* 6i? A 32* hybrid might provide a better distance fit. I tried a used Ping G10 32* hybrid for a week once, and it was so much easier to hit than a 6i. Maybe I should have kept it, but that would have meant I'd also get need to get the 28* to fill the gap below it, and I was running out of money.

Thanks for the input, as for the hybrid, I like the Cleveland I have so I am just getting one club lower.

That sounds just crazy enough to work. I ended the season with the Niblick 42 and can can easily see chucking the 9 or PW for it. The only thing holding me back from the 56 is the sand shots but I think having the 42 and 49 in place of the 9 and PW makes sense. In fact, depending on if I can continue hitting the Niblck well this season I will probably get the 49 and do just that.

I guess if I found I could hit all the niblicks better than the equivalent irons then it would be a no brainer. Then it would just be a matter of playing to get in range of the Niblicks. It would make the bag look strange but it would look better and better as you kept hitting those greens.

By the way, make sure you try out those cleveland XLS hybrids before you buy. I had one and did not like it at all. Not the same feeling of balance or confidence as with the XLS woods or the XLi irons. Maybe the 09 Launchers or DSTs are different.

Used it this past weekend and loved it

Ahh another high desert guy! I'm from ridgecrest.....quick question for you....does the high bounce of the niblick help you with your chipping on tight lies....it does me......just was wondering if it was just me/....

It's great on tight lies. I like the extra weight of the clubhead. I'm no longer hitting my chips thin or fat like before with with my 8i. I tried sw, pw, 9i, 7i for chipping but settled on the 8i. It was the less evil of the others. But after using the niblick it was an ahah moment.
I had a 118 yd. shot to the pin yesterday at Cal City. Very tight lie. Before I would have used my pw but with the tight lie 50/50 chance of a decent shot. I pulled out my 37* niblick and picked it clean. Ball landed softly on the back of the green a little past the flag. Two putted for a par. For me the difference was the niblick over the pw.

Re: 49* & 56* Niblick Unboxing

Re: 49* & 56* Niblick Unboxing

water34 said:
It's great on tight lies. I like the extra weight of the clubhead. I'm no longer hitting my chips thin or fat like before with with my 8i. I tried sw, pw, 9i, 7i for chipping but settled on the 8i. It was the less evil of the others. But after using the niblick it was an ahah moment.
I had a 118 yd. shot to the pin yesterday at Cal City. Very tight lie. Before I would have used my pw but with the tight lie 50/50 chance of a decent shot. I pulled out my 37* niblick and picked it clean. Ball landed softly on the back of the green a little past the flag. Two putted for a par. For me the difference was the niblick over the pw.

Cal city? How do you like that course? Haven't played there yet but have been meaning too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cal city? How do you like that course? Haven't played there yet but have been meaning too.

Ditto...

I had a 118 yd. shot to the pin yesterday at Cal City. .

I always like driving under the bridge at that course. Do you play at Isabella too?

Cal City

Cal City

I mostly play there in the winter. It's usually 10-15 degrees warmer than here. I go there when our course is closed due to the snow. What I've been told it was originally designed to be a tpc course with the surrounding area to be developed for a housing boom. But that didn't happen. The course is in overall fair shape, could be better, but considering its a small town course, it's o.k. Most of the greens are elevated and well protected. Very challenging. The greens are always in great shape and very fast.

Lets keep this one about the Niblick everybody.

Lets keep this one about the Niblick everybody.

Yuppers.

I'd like to say one thing quasi Niblick related though....

At another forum I frequent (wrx) there is currently a thread about chippers with tons of snoody individuals claiming the Niblick as nothing more than a "chipper" and one trick pony...without ever trying one. I stepped in to mention it is a legitimate wedge/high-iron replacement and can do it all and that gets rattled around by the snoody. No real moral to this, just that I'm thankful that this place opened my eyes tot he virtue of a this club which really saves strokes and can do it all...more importantly it makes me happy I found this place...it truly does.

Sorry to vent/rant JB...just needed/wanted to say that bit.

I love my Niblicks!!!

I think there is truly a spot in the world for every club. Some are better for others and some are not. I agree about one thing. Why can someone bash a product without trying it. If you read my original niblick review, that is what the article was about. It is about ego and how it plays role in club selection. That is not meant as a bashing or mean statement, but that some cannot play a club because it is different. We have some on this thread saying that they would rather make a shot hard and play it with a traditional club, than have an easier shot with an easier club. Its part of human nature.

Yuppers.

At another forum I frequent (wrx) there is currently a thread about chippers with tons of snoody individuals claiming the Niblick as nothing more than a "chipper" and one trick pony...without ever trying one. I stepped in to mention it is a legitimate wedge/high-iron replacement and can do it all and that gets rattled around by the snoody. No real moral to this, just that I'm thankful that this place opened my eyes tot he virtue of a this club which really saves strokes and can do it all...more importantly it makes me happy I found this place...it truly does.

I love my Niblicks!!!
Agree completely...I too found the soem of the posters on the other site to be off-putting, if not downright arrogant.

It's like Niblick heaven here!:blob:

Sorry,JB

Sorry,JB

Sorry, JB. Got carried away off topic. Back to niblicks. I have a 37* niblick that I've been using a couple of months. Love it for chipping. Has shaved some strokes off my score. So, I ordered and just received a 49* niblick to take the place of my 52* gap wedge which I use for pitch shots. I didn't have time to practice with it as I received it the same day I planned on playing. I like the 37* so much I figured, what the heck?, so I put it in my bag.
Geez, the 49* is so easy to hit. Without any practice I was pitching up on the green and getting close enough to the pin to give myself an opportunity for a one putt. I didn't make all the putts but at least I had a reasonable chance.
On one of the holes I was 43 yd. from the pin. I pitched with the 49*, nice soft high trajectory, and ended within 3 ft. of the cup. I didn't miss that putt for par.
I don't care if other golfers disregard the niblick. It works for me. It has made chipping and pitching easier for me with better results than my other clubs I was using. What do they say about no pictures on a scorecard?

I don't care if other golfers disregard the niblick. It works for me. It has made chipping and pitching easier for me with better results than my other clubs I was using. What do they say about no pictures on a scorecard?

That is the key. If it makes the game more enjoyable for a person, that is all that matters.

Cleveland Niblick Newbie question

Cleveland Niblick Newbie question

I have problems getting my pitch shots close to the hole. I experience this problem when I am 10 or 15 feet off the green and want to land my shot close to the hole to eliminate a long putt.

Which Niblick would suite me better? 42, 49 or 56 loft?

Can you also tell me what club each is supposed to replace?

42 =
49 =
46 =

Did these replace your PW, SW, GW that came with your iron set?

Do you think they were better than your PW and SW or GW that came with your set?

Why do you think so?

I sometime use my hybrid club for shots off the green.

Can someone tell my how the niblick would make the shot easier etc?

Thanks again. This site is a great source of info:beauty:

I have problems getting my pitch shots close to the hole. I experience this problem when I am 10 or 15 feet off the green and want to land my shot close to the hole to eliminate a long putt.

Which Niblick would suite me better? 42, 49 or 56 loft?

Can you also tell me what club each is supposed to replace?

42 =
49 =
46 =

Did these replace your PW, SW, GW that came with your iron set?

Do you think they were better than your PW and SW or GW that came with your set?

Why do you think so?

I sometime use my hybrid club for shots off the green.

Can someone tell my how the niblick would make the shot easier etc?

Thanks again. This site is a great source of info:beauty:

I moved this thread to our "official" niblick thread. I am not sure that the word "better" can be used, but for me, they were different. I started with the 42* and have since gone to the 56* because of the course I play.

Depending on how you will use it, it can be extremely versatile. I believe the niblick is easier to use than a conventional wedge when chipping because of the weighting that goes along with it compared to that of a regular wedge. Some would argue that, and that is fine, but for me, it has worked great. I also use mine in a ton of other situations from trouble shots, to bunkers, etc...

The niblick will be easier than a hybrid for two reasons.
1. The weight of the head and shorter shaft make the natural movement easier for pitching.

2. The grooves of the club promote more spin compared to that of a hybrid which in many ways is not geared for this shot. It can be used and used well, but most amateurs will struggle with distance control with it and would be better off using a putter even than a hybrid.

From that distance, is it better to use less loft like the 42 or 49 than the 56? What has been your experience in the difference between the 42, 49 and 56 in terms of chipping 10 -15 feet from the green?

Last edited:
Re: Niblick Unboxing & Thread

I don't feel confident using my low bounce/one dot 56* in the fairway, so I was going to add a standard bounce/two dot Cleveland CG14 56*... But all the Niblick talk has me thinking I'll try one.
The debate I'm having is what is the best loft to fit below my 52* CG14. The 56* Niblick is obvious, but I'm concerned that the shorter shaft and full swing distance. Since I haven't found a place I can take full swings with a Niblick, how would a Niblick 56 compare (distance wise) to a CG14 (or equivlant) 56?

From that distance, is it better to use less loft like the 42 or 49 than the 56? What would experience is the difference between the 42, 49 and 56 in terms of chipping 10 -15 feet from the green?

That will depend on your technique, the course played, and more.

Bit the bullet

Bit the bullet

Ok I bit the bullet and I am now the proud owner of 4 Niblicks and I am going over how to reshape my bag the next time I play to put all of them into play. I expect to play next weekend and will keep you all posted of how this little experiment goes. :banana:

Ok I bit the bullet and I am now the proud owner of 4 Niblicks and I am going over how to reshape my bag the next time I play to put all of them into play. I expect to play next weekend and will keep you all posted of how this little experiment goes. :banana:

Congrats WR!

no excuses now Rhino! :act-up:

Back