TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

It seems like I'm in the minority on this one, but I've been loving the SLDR. I've played 3 rounds with it in the bag and I'm hitting it further and straighter than I've hit any other driver before. That's saying a lot too. I've had some of the best drivers on the market in my bag this past year and the SLDR seems to be setting a new standard for sure. I'm swinging very well right now so I know that has a lot to do with it, it'll be interesting to see what happens when I go through my first slump with it.....if that happens or not. We'll see!

It seems like I'm in the minority on this one, but I've been loving the SLDR. I've played 3 rounds with it in the bag and I'm hitting it further and straighter than I've hit any other driver before. That's saying a lot too. I've had some of the best drivers on the market in my bag this past year and the SLDR seems to be setting a new standard for sure. I'm swinging very well right now so I know that has a lot to do with it, it'll be interesting to see what happens when I go through my first slump with it.....if that happens or not. We'll see!

that's scary. I've never seen you drive the ball like you did down in Myrtle.

I'm right there with you. I did not think it could kick the R1 out of my bag, but I got fit for the TP 9.5 and it just hits missiles. I'm lofted up 1 notch with the weight just one notch toward draw and just straight bombs for me. Cannot slice it which I could with the R1.

Hoping to take my new 9.5 SLDR out today for the first time. WIsh this day would go by a little faster.

Hoping to take my new 9.5 SLDR out today for the first time. WIsh this day would go by a little faster.

I was going for the same, woke up though to see more snow on the ground and more coming down. This winter will never end it seems.

If you don't mind my asking, what led you to end up with a 9.5° setting on the SLDR?

that's scary. I've never seen you drive the ball like you did down in Myrtle.
Thanks bro, yeah that X Hot Pro treated me really well and the move to the SLDR has been even better. I get so much confidence out of that low spin, knowing that even on a miss I'm not going to slice it out of bounce or off the map. I've been able to really get comfortable with it fast. I'm using the stock shaft too, no fitting, just picked one up off the rack and left all the settings exactly how they were and I don't see a need for a change right now. It's been good.

Playing a round at an away course today and taking a 12* SLDR with me for a full round test drive (pun intended). I'm excited to see how I do with it. I hit it well at a recent Demo Day. But, that was just with a dozen swings or so.

Whoa, Ken trying something new off the tee? I wonder what will happen...

Spoiler
You're going to hit fairways. Like always.

If you don't mind my asking, what led you to end up with a 9.5° setting on the SLDR?

No problem at all. I have a couple swing faults which produce high spinning moon balls. My SS is usually mid 90s to low 100s but I generally get 200 to 210 out of my drives.(no rollout) I went into a PGA superstore to hit some of the new drivers and tried to "loft up" on the SLDR. I hit everything about the usual, 200-210. I then just happened to loft down to the 9.5 and got 260 out of it launching at 15 degrees with lower spin. I'm sure it is just my wacked swing, but the 9.5 just looks better to me at address, so maybe I dont flip the wrists as much. I dunno. Im going to post a video on my swing once I figure out how to do that for freddie to fix me. haha

I am right there with you the SLDR is the longest straightest driver i have hit

I think a lot of people are not lofting it high enough for the SLDR to do its thing. My normal drivers of the past have all been 9.5 degree lofts. I went and tested the SLDR with 9.5 and thought it sucked... Then they put the 10.5 in my hands and it was still meh... It wasnt until I swung the 12 degree that I saw the magic that is the SLDR.

I think a lot of people are not lofting it high enough for the SLDR to do its thing. My normal drivers of the past have all been 9.5 degree lofts. I went and tested the SLDR with 9.5 and thought it sucked... Then they put the 10.5 in my hands and it was still meh... It wasnt until I swung the 12 degree that I saw the magic that is the SLDR.

Yeah I tried it at 9.5º and had an 8º launch and 1500 spin. My r1 at 8º gives me a 13º launch and about 2300rpm. I have yet to try the 12º but I think I would see much better results.

Yeah I tried it at 9.5º and had an 8º launch and 1500 spin. My r1 at 8º gives me a 13º launch and about 2300rpm. I have yet to try the 12º but I think I would see much better results.

I would be comfortable to say you would see some improvements on your best swings. The question comes in, what happens on the strikes that are not on center.

I would think that you should get a better LA with the 12* or 10.5* i went from a R1 set at 9* to a SLDR 460 10.5 I was also fit for a SLDR 430 12* so as my spin has gone down i have had to add loft

White SLDR in my MC bag. I can definitely see it happen.

I would be comfortable to say you would see some improvements on your best swings. The question comes in, what happens on the strikes that are not on center.

SLDR is no bueno on off center hits... Its super forgiving in regards to slice/hook mitigation (by far the most forgiving of any driver I have ever hit in this regard) but you lose a lot of distance if you hit it around the edges.

SLDR is no bueno on off center hits... Its super forgiving in regards to slice/hook mitigation (by far the most forgiving of any driver I have ever hit in this regard) but you lose a lot of distance if you hit it around the edges.

Just don't miss the center. Heheh

So after wanting to love the SLDR and today giving it another shot, for the third time, I just can't. Love the shape, the look, everything, but it doesn't out perform what I have now enough to justify it.

So after wanting to love the SLDR and today giving it another shot, for the third time, I just can't. Love the shape, the look, everything, but it doesn't out perform what I have now enough to justify it.

Was there a particular thing that stuck out to you as the reason that it didn't match up to your gamer?

Was there a particular thing that stuck out to you as the reason that it didn't match up to your gamer?

Just consistency. The SLDR out drove the Burner considerably when struck well by 20-25 yards on average, but that gain wasn't consistent. It wasn't the club itself, but more my swing. The Burner just gives me 255-265 off the tee constantly. So far the only two things close have been the 913 and Bio Cell when it comes to consistent distance.

SLDR Frankenstein

SLDR Frankenstein

My R11 driver finally bought the farm (I loved that club) so I got fitted for an SLDR this morning. We found the best numbers across the board for launch angle, spin, ball speed, and carry distance were achieved with the stiff 77g Tour Preferred shaft and 9.5 degree "not TP" 460cc clubhead. I didn't like the the smaller TP head's face angle at address. I adjusted the sliding weight one click to the draw side and kept the loft at 9.5. I had my R11 set to 8*. It is AWESOME! The fitter did an amazing job of "Frankensteining" this driver for me. I've never hit a driver with such low spin which has led to a better ball flight and therefore increased distance. I took it out for 18 holes and was surprised that I could work the ball with the big clubhead because I thought it wouldn't be possible for some reason. I hit 12 fairways and it was nice to be hitting wedges into a few par 4s. I'm so glad I resisted getting any of the versions between the R11 and SLDR. I'm getting the 3 wood tomorrow!

My R11 driver finally bought the farm (I loved that club) so I got fitted for an SLDR this morning. We found the best numbers across the board for launch angle, spin, ball speed, and carry distance were achieved with the stiff 77g Tour Preferred shaft and 9.5 degree "not TP" 460cc clubhead. I didn't like the the smaller TP head's face angle at address. I adjusted the sliding weight one click to the draw side and kept the loft at 9.5. I had my R11 set to 8*. It is AWESOME! The fitter did an amazing job of "Frankensteining" this driver for me. I've never hit a driver with such low spin which has led to a better ball flight and therefore increased distance. I took it out for 18 holes and was surprised that I could work the ball with the big clubhead because I thought it wouldn't be possible for some reason. I hit 12 fairways and it was nice to be hitting wedges into a few par 4s. I'm so glad I resisted getting any of the versions between the R11 and SLDR. I'm getting the 3 wood tomorrow!

There's no difference between the TP head and the standard head. Are you thinking the 460cc and the 430cc

Yes. I must have thought the 430cc head was a TP head because all the TP drivers in the store had 430cc heads.

When it comes to woods, TP for Taylormade refers to the shaft differences, not the head.

Back