Hitting into the group ahead

Rarely, but I usually don't have people pressing me anyway. If it happens once, I'll take a look back to let them know I saw it. Never has happened twice, but if it did I'd just call the clubhouse.

This is what I've done and calling the clubhouse is ALWAYS the correct thing to do.

I was going to post about the post talking about hitting into people intentionally, but all has been said and no need to pile on any more. I will say though, good on you all for not letting it get heated. It could have blown up big time!

Edit: Smalls is right, I don't need to go any further. Some people just don't get it.

I was going to post about the post talking about hitting into people intentionally, but all has been said and no need to pile on any more. I will say though, good on you all for not letting it get heated. It could have blown up big time!

Might be fitting to post that picture of Dirt-Guy when he was clocked in the face. I agree with not piling on, but fitting as well.

Put simply....No I don't hit toward people, I wait if they are within 10 yards of my max yardage for a selected club, and if I wait long enough im almost always 25 yards short of where they were anyway but I still won't hit with the chance of a pure strike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

What are some of the people in here not getting? Lol seriously how do you not get the difference between an errant shot crossing fairways and when you intentionally hit at someone?? Give it up, you can't justify being an asshole and putting someone in danger because you are impatient. Are you going to walk up and apologize when you kill them? Give me a break

There is a diffrence between an accident and a shot taken in the direction of someone who you can see from the tee box

You're both right, there is a difference in the shots and being an ass hole doesn't cancel out the others being ass holes. Two wrongs don't make a right. I have only hit into a group once btw. I normally wait until the next group is on the green before I hit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I edited my post and bow out. Smalls is right, no need to get heated im sorry. Just feel strongly about it. Hope I dont ever encounter someone doing it.

I edited my post and bow out. Smalls is right, no need to get heated im sorry. Just feel strongly about it. Hope I dont ever encounter someone doing it.

I know what you mean. Different people handle things different ways and we're all different people with different opinions. If we weren't then we'd be Nazis, and no one wants that again. The same way you got a little heated about this is the same way I was a little heated having to play behind 6 drunks who were all over the course yelling to me, a single, while I'm on the green and they're on the next tee box that if I can catch up to them I can play through. Asshole for asshole, we were both in the wrong but a point needed to be made when the 16 year old they have as a marshal can't get the point across to 6 grown men.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Doesn't anyone play on a course with rangers?

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

I intentionally hit into the foursome in front of me on the first hole on Sunday. They'd all hit their second shots and while still in their carts, they stopped in the fairway about ten yards further up to chat with a foursome of buddies coming back the other way on a later hole. So we had 4 carts in a little wagon train circle, gabbing away in the middle of the first fairway. When they didn't move on, I hit and they scattered after they see my ball bounce by. One of them actually came back to apologize to me for not thinking.

Which brings to mind -- why is it that slow play or etiquette offenders are always driving carts?

Hitting into a group intentionally is never acceptable. Besides being totally idiotic, I would think one could be charged with attempted assault with intent to injure or some other legal charge.
You also contradicted your own opinion that cart drivers are the only etiquette offenders.
I would suggest you not hit into a group intentionally, you never really know who you might be messing with or what they might be carrying in their golf bag/cart.

If someone hits in to me I purposely go slower. Just like if someone tailgates me I drive slower. As long as MY pace of play is within course limits I'm within my right to play at pace. If someone has a problem with that, get an earlier tee time. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If someone hits in to me I purposely go slower. Just like if someone tailgates me I drive slower. As long as MY pace of play is within course limits I'm within my right to play at pace. If someone has a problem with that, get an earlier tee time. ?

They shouldn't hit into you, but why not just let them through in the first place

Hitting into the group ahead

Because I'm not playing slow, in keeping pace and perhaps the group in front of me is the culprit and there's no room to let them play trough. They are just being asses and hitting in to me. That's just my scenario though. If possible I'd gladly let someone play through

How many of you have been hit into on the course and what is your normal reaction? Before I tee off I always make sure the group ahead of me is well out of range before I step up and hit the ball. I generally drive 270-280 and if I'm on a 350 yard par 4, I will wait until whoever is ahead of me is on or around the green. Now I know I'm wrong for the way I react but I have lost all patience for people who can clearly see me in the fairway and will still tee off. Usually this is only a problem when I hit a terrible drive but I have had balls hit my cart, roll past me and even had one fly less than 2 feet in front of my face as I was addressing the ball for my approach shot. I don't know how many of you have seen the movie "Sideways" where they are standing in the fairway talking and the group behind tees into them so Paul Giamatti grabs a wood and hits a ball back at them. This is my new signature move/reaction. I now reach for the 3 wood and tee back into them.

On a dog leg par 4 if you go left over the trees its 270 to the green, the long guys go for it, not long ago a ball came buy my head and was 15 ft. from the pin on the fly
OH YES I WAS PISSED threw that ball in the wood!!!

Actually - I yell FORE as loud as I can when I get hit into - it's pretty brutal & so far, based on my tone of voice, haven't had anyone follow up with another ball hit into me ... it gets my point across

My buddy actually hit into the group ahead of us last weekend...they were greenside and the ball landed right between a guy and his cart that was 6 feet away from him.

We were on a 330 yard par 4... they were on the green except for the one guy who was just a smidge to the right of the green chipping. My buddy never hits his driver more than 250-265...never... but he caught one as flush as possible and caught a big gust from behind just as he made contact and away she went...probably carried 295-310 and bounced up to the guy ahead of us. We actually thought the ball landed way short of them until we got to it.

The the guy was very understanding, which was a crapshoot considering how drunk his group was. Me and my buddy were very apologetic and I assured the guys that my buddy has never hit anything within 50 yards of that far.

Being that we were a twosome and they were a partying threesome they let us play through after that hole. I felt like an ass even though it was complete dumb luck that it happened. Glad they let us through though because by the time we played 3 more holes we were over 2 holes ahead of them.

95% of the time I have been hit into it has been a very similar situation. I have no beef with somebody who just hit the biggest shot of their life and had no idea it was going to go 50 yards farther than it ever has, or gained 50 yards due to a cartpath bounce, and I usually tell them not to apologize and congratulate them on hitting such a bomb.

Of course, my opinion may likely change if I ever catch one in the side of the head from somebody who just hit the shot of their life...hahahaha

It all boils down to intent. There has always been those unexpected moment when one hits the ball further than they ever have, and then you have those that hit into others thinking they are doing something right, to right a wrong. It is those people that should be banned for life from playing golf. No grey area for me.

I haven’t had this happen to me very often and normally it’s when I am generally out of sight (over a hill or off to the side of the fairway digging through some trees for my ball ). I've done the same thing not knowing someone was over the hill.

If someone were deliberately doing it then I'd call the ranger/pro shop and let them know. It does no good to get into a confrontation with them, complain to the course.
Same thing would go for slow play. If a group in front is going VERY slow and there is no one in front of them they should be letting you play through on the next tee or two. Golf courses don’t want people playing slow and holding up everyone else so they are usually more than happy to send someone out to tell them to pick up the pace.

...I guess the moral of the story is I gotta play better courses with better people.

Well, as they say, "Karma's a B&%$#" because today I got hit at!

I was a single playing in position behind a 4some with another 4some behind me. The 2nd hole is a lay-up par 4 with a water hazard at 250 that can't be crossed with a driver. Everyone who knows the course hits an iron or 5 wood max off the tee. I hit 3 iron, wait for the green to clear, then hit up and start walking. I've got about 10 yards to go before reaching the bridge when a tee shot comes bounding past me, into the drink. I turn and wave and yell back. No "Fores", no apologies, no nothing from the group behind. They're just standing there dumbstruck.

I keep going but don't get too mad because I figured that they didn't know the course and they probably thought I was a driver away with my tee shot. They didn't see me tee off with an iron. So when they see me hit my 2nd and start walking, they give me 10-20 yards headstart and then they figure they're safe to hit driver. I guess nobody in their group had a laser and our course stupidly removed all its 150 yard poles which might have provided them with a visual reference. Plus our course lies on its scorecard, giving every hole about 20 yards too much yardage. Oh well, that stuff happens in golf.

I agree with that one poster, it all boils down to intent -- or rather: intent, right of way, and if folks are doing what they should be doing in the right positions. This is probably why my eightsome wagon train of gabbing buddies in the middle of the first fairway did not get mad at me when I hit at them, or stomp on my ball, and why they sent one cart back to apologize. They realized they were stopped in the middle of the fairway talking for five minutes after they had already hit their second shots and there were three groups stacked on the 1st tee waiting for them to move. (And no, we don't have a ranger or a starter. What we have is teenage girls manning the clubhouse in the late afternoons.)

Of course you always try to get the attention of the folks who wander into your right of way before you strike. Sometimes you can get their attention, sometimes they'll move, sometimes they just don't care. My course is also plagued by "ball hawks", guys with retrievers and dogs etc. who will wander through any hole at any time and who won't leave a greenside hazard just because you're approaching. They're trespassing, of course, and they're taking their chances. We treat them like scenery and try to get their attention, but ultimately we play on.

Hope I haven't ruffled too many THP feathers with my admissions! You can always tell when you've written a stimulating post if the responses contain references to "Nazis, a**holes, and banned for life".

Last edited:
Had a guy fly an approach past my head on Saturday afternoon. It was busy at the course but things moved along pretty well. We got the round finished right at 4 hours. #15 is a short, downhill par 5. It backs up a bit as both sides of the fairway are tree lined and very rough. There's a 30 foot side chute that if you can fly your drive thru, leaves you with a 170 yard or less approach. Our group waited on the tee, then waited to hit 2nd shots & approaches. Two of our group were on the green. Another was coming up the left side where you have to cross a creek. I had just crossed the bridge on the right over the creek to the green but had to backtrack a bit (like 10 yards) to my ball which had just carried the creek. I see a guy taking practice swings up the hill, he could easily reach the green so I never imagined he play the shot.

So I hear a ball struck and kind of cringe but think "he must've laid up"... Nope, I hear the ball zip past my head, followed by a thud and then, "Sorry buddy!"

As I'm thinking "stay cool"... one of the other group is laughing"hehehe", so I throw my hands up and yell, "not cool! hehehe!".

I hit my chip to about 12 feet and made my only putt of the day. Impressive since I was about to stroke out from blood pressure skyrocketing. We left the green and rolled off in our carts. Their entire group stayed 150 yards back with their heads down or backs turned. They didn't come near us the rest of the round and fortunately they were parked on the opposite side of the lot.

Maybe I should have confronted them to make sure they don't do it again. Maybe I should have let the proshop know...

A couple of years back, a slice from the adjace t fairway hit my trolley, breaking a 1.5 inch aluminium tube(!!). (That shows the potential of a hit!) There were loud "fore"s, and I took cover behind said trolley. That is the closest I've been for a hit. I've had some near misses, always either with "fore"s or situations where they didn't see me AND me being in an unexpected position.

i've hit close to someone by slice/shank to another fairway, skulling an approach shot to the next teebox and once, pulling a six iron instead of a nine iron. (Hey, it looks like a nine drom this angle...).

As said, in all cases loud "fore" and apologies go very long way.

I think I came close to the group ahead of me yesterday. I partially misjudged how close they were, and also got ahold of one. I would assume if a ball came in on me it was for similar reasons. I definitely wouldn't fire anything back, or say anything mean, but I would let them know it happened.

Now if they did it again...

I was on the next tee box after a par 3 and had a ball land a foot away from me straight down. No fore or any yell, I just tossed it towards the green because that was negligence and 3 other people were only 5 to 10 feet away from me. I understand it's not really hitting into the next group but some warning would have been nice. No tress in sight by the way.
Apart from the getting hit into, you don't seem to need much personal space, if there's people 5 feet away from you ;)

I play at what most would consider a beginners course and have balls come close to hitting me often. Typically it's from someone hitting a drive from an adjacent hole that was a nasty slice or hook. Most don't yell fore either. I guess the don't assume that the slice or hook is going to be as bad as it was.

As for the folks that have mentioned hitting into the group ahead to get them moving, there is a better way. In the situation where groups are conversing and holding up the course for no reason, just yell a very loud "FORE!!" and wave your arms wildly. Watch as the offenders scatter and then realize you never actually hit a ball and you are politely asking them to move their arse. Works every time.

Back