Warm up on the range or head straight to the 1st Tee?

I in the past have usually went right to the first tee.
Now, with a better understanding of my game and my pre round needs, I try to get some range time in pre round.

When your course doesn't have a range, it's usually straight to the first tee! If it is open, we might play 8 and/or 9 or 17 and/or 18 to warm up.

It doesn't matter to me. The worst thing I can do is hit too much before playing.

Before I retired, it was really hard to jump out of the truck after work and run to the first tee. I think the range was needed in that case just to work out the tensions from the work day. Now it is not a problem at all if I don't get to hit any.

I was the other golfer in this story... I was so dialed at the range, I didn't want to waste it, so I wanted to make sure we got at least 9 holes in...

Dax

While it was tough to get going for me out there, I was super excited for you because you were hitting the ball as well as I've seen you hit it.

I only play once a week and it is always 745am on Saturday's. I normally wake up about 730am and get to course a few minutes before tee time !

Rarely hit the range. Usually two balls off 1st tee and off we go.

I like to hit a few balls at the range before I head out, but that doesn't always happen because not all courses around me have one. Usually the first two holes are a bit high for me without a warmup.

I prefer to hit a few balls - not necessarily a bucket - at the range before I head out. A few of the courses near me have nets to hit into that don't have ranges. I've found those work pretty well, since I'm looking to dial in my swing where I'm making good contact. It's at least something.

Would be nice to hit some, but in reality it's usually straight to the first. But stretches and other warmups really help..

Do any touring pros rush straight to the first tee or do they warm up first? 100% warm up.

I have to hit about 10 driver balls just to shake the sinews loose and about 10 mid irons just to get the feel of the turf. Then I can usually go. I should practice putting also, since I had 5 three putts in nine holes on Wednesday when I found, to my surprise on no. 1, the greens were rock hard and bald.

There are always individuals who can walk up to the first tee and stripe one. Just like Mickey Mantle could show up hungover and jack one into the upper deck. For everyone else a warmup , some stretching and a bucket of balls are necessary. Golf is a sport, treat it like one.

I prefer to always warm up on the range before a round. But, for me it is truly warm up, and I have a system for it. I know others who treat it as a range session and try to work on swing changes or fix some problem. Bad timing IMO. For me, it's 29 balls (19 wedge, 10 Driver), and off to the putting/chipping green for a few minutes to get the feel/speed of the greens.

I prefer to warm up on the range first. The one time I did not, I lost a lot of balls.

I like to putt on the practive green for 20-30 minutes, some sort of mental warm up.

often at my club, the starter sees that we are "ready" and tells us to go right away... I hate that, I want to have enough time to relax/banter before the initial tee off

Warm up. My local course has a small range, irons and wedges only, but that's enough for me to get the juices flowing. Another course has a putting green and some netting, so I can swing every club a few times plus putt (and chip if the green's not crowded). If I can't do that before a round, I just feel out of it for the first few holes.

Whenever I had gone out cold in the past it always required 5/6 holes before I felt comfortable, so I make sure to always hit some balls on the range before a round. Nothing much, generally somewhere between 20/30 balls. I'm not looking to change anything, just to get a feel for the swing on that particular day.

So yesterday I went and met a friend at the club we are members at after work and I texted him thinking he was on the range still and I'd get a few swipes there before heading on the course but his reply was on the 1st tee...so I run up to meet him and it took me a few holes to get warmed up and I realized just how important it is for me to go and see where I am at before just running up and playing. Honestly, I was miserable until I was loosened up and my soreness from the workout the day before didnt help either.

What do you do and what is your preference?

I never go to the range. I've never seen any value in it for me. If I have time and feel like it, I'll do about 15 minutes of chipping on the chipping green, then 5 minutes on the putting green and I'm ready to go. But if there's no time for that, I'll just make a few dry swings on the tee box and I'm set. I never saw any real need to hit a ball just to get warmed up. It's the swing that I'm greasing, not the shots.

For me the first 2 or 3 holes are usually very good, sometimes the best holes of the round, so I don't want to waste those swings hitting range balls.

I usually chip or hit a few putts as my "warm up" Few instances I would hit range first.

I prefer to always warm up on the range before a round. But, for me it is truly warm up, and I have a system for it. I know others who treat it as a range session and try to work on swing changes or fix some problem. Bad timing IMO. For me, it's 29 balls (19 wedge, 10 Driver), and off to the putting/chipping green for a few minutes to get the feel/speed of the greens.

I am going to do a similar routine. 5 shots each for my SW - 3i, then driver last for about 5-7 shots. Head over to chipping / putting area, and do 5 chips, then 5 to 10 practice putts from 3 to 20 feet. Over the next few rounds I want to get this down to a very specific routine.

I need to warm up. Best rounds come after chipping, putting and just enough full swings to get loose. If I hit too many balls on the range prior to the round I tend to leave my swing at the range

I can do either, normally just go straight to the tee box though

Straight to the 1st tee for me.

I can go straight to the tee and usually have a good result. I went through a span of about 7 rounds where I purposely did not go to the range just to see what would happen. I don't know that it hurt or helped. I think it is always a good idea to at least get some stretches in and work around the greens if possible.

I much prefer to warm up on the range, both for stretching and just to get some initial shots under my belt. Makes the start of the round and the first tee more enjoyable.

I prefer to warm up first. It usually takes me a few holes to warm up if I don't

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Back