Living in a Golf Community, how does it work?

66Tiger

Golf > Work = :^)
Reaction score
Handicap
Beer&Soju
Looking like I will be stationed at Ellington Field just south of Houston ~AUG 2015. Looking to rent/buy a house in a established golf course community. How does it work, as a homeowner, do you have access to the course?

Really liking Bay Oaks Country Club just minutes away from work.

Not sure about the answer to your question, but we do have a growing group of THPers for you to play with once you get here!

Depends on the course.
Some communities require homeowners to have some level of membership. It is built into their HOA fees.
Others, keep it separate and each person chooses if they want to join like any place else.

Yea, really depends on the neighborhood. The couple of neighborhoods I'm aware of keep hoa and membership seperate. I don't remember the figures for Bay Oaks, but last time someone told me, it wasn't worthwhile for me. Check out the neighborhoods near south shore Harbour or Magnolia. The are part of Canon Gate and their courses are always in excellent condition.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm sure they all differ as mentioned. The one I'm looking at in Kansas give me a choice to belong or not and affiliation to a bunch of other courses around the country.

I'm sure they all differ as mentioned. The one I'm looking at in Kansas give me a choice to belong or not and affiliation to a bunch of other courses around the country.

Wichita area, duey?

Wichita area, duey?

Yes sir. Were all approved, but waiting on a condo that fits our requirements to open. I'm excited, but may not happen in time.

Looking like I will be stationed at Ellington Field just south of Houston ~AUG 2015. Looking to rent/buy a house in a established golf course community. How does it work, as a homeowner, do you have access to the course?

Really liking Bay Oaks Country Club just minutes away from work.

Well, There goes the neighborhood! :)

Yes sir. Were all approved, but waiting on a condo that fits our requirements to open. I'm excited, but may not happen in time.

Hope you get it.

My ex brother in law (Dan The Man) lives in a golf community (Briarwood, in Ankeny, Iowa). It was built in the middle '90s to be a private course open to the homeowners, but not very many people bought homes there for a long time. A few years ago, they finally had enough to make it private like they had planned originally, but the people who live there have the option of belonging to the club or not. He chose not to, and golfs elsewhere.

Depends on the course.
Some communities require homeowners to have some level of membership. It is built into their HOA fees.
Others, keep it separate and each person chooses if they want to join like any place else.

This. And you can be a member of the club without living in the neighborhood.

What part of Wichita?

Going back to Derby, I lived there before and loved the town.

Oh, ok I think I know which condos you're talking about

My father in law has no membership or even reduced rates. He does however have a little secret escape route in the rear fence that allows us to play the hole that runs alongside his house after the last groups have gone through :)

Oh, ok I think I know which condos you're talking about

Derby Country Club. I've never played the course or even know of anyone who has, but figure I'll be limited on golf time with work so something close will be handy.

My parents live on a course...actually they bought a lot and built on it the same time the course was being built. It is private though, costs crazy $$$ and home owners get no discount at all. So even though they've lived there for 20 years they can't play the course.

Derby Country Club. I've never played the course or even know of anyone who has, but figure I'll be limited on golf time with work so something close will be handy.

I had a friend who lived in The Greens Apartments. I think a discounted membership was included.

My previous home was in a subdivision that had 3 9 hole courses in it. The 2nd green on one course was just one street over from my home. I played all 3 courses a few times. A person could buy a membership to the course and there was no requirement for home ownership. It was kind of expensive for what the course offered.

As others have said, it depends on the community. Where I live, there are 3 courses. 2 are private which we pay membership and cart fees to join yearly. The third course is open to the public.. The absolute best thing about the 2 private courses is there are NO tee times.. It's first come first serve. No group can go to the tee box until ALL of their players are present.. As I type I am having a coffee and watching them mow the 9th green behind the house..

Back