Need Advice-Contemplating New Irons

flyinj03

Reaction score
Handicap
My current irons are the Cobra Amp Cell's, which I had set up for me, and are awesome! I have come across an opportunity to get the Titleist 714 AP-1's set up for me for a GREAT price! I really enjoy the Cobra's, and they work great for me, however, the price on the 714's is almost too good to pass up. I have heard how great these clubs are many times over, but I have not seen them compared against the Amp Cell's. I am afraid that I would get the 714's, and they wouldn't play as well as the Amp Cell's.

What are your thoughts?

My current irons are the Cobra Amp Cell's, which I had set up for me, and are awesome! I have come across an opportunity to get the Titleist 714 AP-1's set up for me for a GREAT price! I really enjoy the Cobra's, and they work great for me, however, the price on the 714's is almost too good to pass up. I have heard how great these clubs are many times over, but I have not seen them compared against the Amp Cell's. I am afraid that I would get the 714's, and they wouldn't play as well as the Amp Cell's.

What are your thoughts?

Are you near a shop where you can take your cobras in ahead of time and hit them against the 714s?

What are your thoughts?

One of our staff writers, Hawk, did a review on the AP1's and they were among the best GI irons he has put into play. Personally, having hit both now, I lean to the AP1's overall especially aesthetically, BUT, if at all possible you really need to go hit them head to head.

So I assume you have absolutely no chance at trying the 714's to compare prior to purchase or you'd be trading in the Amp Cells to fund the 714's?

Heck, that's tough, but it's a great problem to have. Good luck, sorry I'm no help.

My personal opinion is that you should find a way to hit them and compare. A great price is awesome, but you'll overpay regardless of that great price if you don't like them when you get them.

I guess the only comparison I would have is hitting the 6 Iron that they would construct for me during the fitting out of the fitting bag vs my 6 iron. Do you think this would be enough to compare?

Sorry, no clue how it'll work out for you. Have hit both and liked both. Spent a lot more time with the AP1's.

Hit them if you can.

Of not, go to eBay, search for 714 ap1 set and sort option ending soonest. If your price is close to the "ending soonest" eBay price then go for it. You will be able to get most or all of your money back.

But better to try them first before spending money, time and effort.

I guess the only comparison I would have is hitting the 6 Iron that they would construct for me during the fitting out of the fitting bag vs my 6 iron. Do you think this would be enough to compare?

I would give you a reasonable idea I think. Not perfect.

I think that it would give you a very solid baseline and a high probability of what to expect for the set

After ordering the 714s and playing both clubs side by side, I have decided on the 714s. VERY impressed with them! Thanks to all for the advice!

After ordering the 714s and playing both clubs side by side, I have decided on the 714s. VERY impressed with them! Thanks to all for the advice!

congrats on the new sticks

Thank you!

The AP 1's are of better quality, material and craftsmanship than your amp cells.....especially if you're gaming the D cells which were made of a poor quality steel alloy from what I've heard. Also, for me personally, the amps were so e of the very worst irons I've ever hit in my life. Now granted it was strictly that twangy feel you get when you hit it right but the tips of your ring and pinky fingers sting. The ball went straight and far, it was just a feel issue with me. It would be different for you as you have a different swing and they may be set up for you. My vote is with the AP1s but I'm an Adams man so give the CB3s or the CMB or new xtd line a shake.....forged or cross cavity cast what Ernie rocks in his bag.

I will say the APs were so sweet when I tried them out. Hope you enjoy them.

The Amp Cell driver....different story.....amazing driver and fw woods. Again, my opinion only.

The AP 1's are of better quality, material and craftsmanship than your amp cells.....especially if you're gaming the D cells which were made of a poor quality steel alloy from what I've heard. Also, for me personally, the amps were so e of the very worst irons I've ever hit in my life. Now granted it was strictly that twangy feel you get when you hit it right but the tips of your ring and pinky fingers sting. The ball went straight and far, it was just a feel issue with me. It would be different for you as you have a different swing and they may be set up for you. My vote is with the AP1s but I'm an Adams man so give the CB3s or the CMB or new xtd line a shake.....forged or cross cavity cast what Ernie rocks in his bag.

The Cobras were pretty decent for my game. The Titleist's just feel "right". I put the SL S300 shafts in the Cobras, and I think they were a little heavy for me.

Let us know how the APs work out for you.

Back