Adjustable Drivers - 8 settings enough? or 32?

Reaction score
Handicap
Have been looking at the Nike Dymo Str8Fit, Nike VR Str8fit and TM R9 460.

Wondering if the 8 settings on the Dymo and R9 460 are enough? Or should I go for the 32 settings on the VR? Dymo's are much cheaper.

I can see myself playing the driver 1* closed 10.5* loft.

I usually play a slight draw. When playing lots though I tend to start fading.

When that happens I would like to close the driver some more but do not want to increase the loft any. (closing the face angle 1* increases the loft about .7*).

Are there enough adjustments available on the Dymo and R9 460 to close the club and also adjust the loft down?

Wow, the VR has 32 settings? What about the Machspeed? How many settings does it have?

Wow, the VR has 32 settings? What about the Machspeed? How many settings does it have?

I think the Mach has only 8

I don't have any experience with adjustable drivers, but I read somewhere that 32 options was excessive for the average golfer, mainly because they have no idea what the difference is with every option.

Also, I believe it's against the rules to adjust your driver during a round. You can only change it before and after you play.

I can't imagine that 32 does anything better than 8, except for adding confusion

Now that I've found the setting I like, my R9 never changes. As it is I could have just gotten a draw driver and been fine as far as setting, however the R9 is more than just an adjustable driver IMHO. It's a very good driver for me.

32 options was excessive for the average golfer,

this is like DirectTV, etc bragging that they have 3,000 channels in HD but at the end of the day you can only watch 1 or 2 at a time?

this is like DirectTV, etc bragging that they have 3,000 channels in HD but at the end of the day you can only watch 1 or 2 at a time?
That's true but it's always nice to have the other 2998 to choose from.:act-up:

I am selling a str8 fit. First driver I have had like this. I really like it. Just hit my touredge a little better.

From my experience, the 8 settings is enough. You can definatly see the flight change when you adjust the settings. After using this one with 8, it seems 32 would be very confusing!! But cant tell you from experience.

I havent hit either of those but I get the feeling that the 32 choices is more of a gimmick as they can market it under the fact that you can "fine tune" it better than any other adjustable driver on the market. However, .028* of a change(this is an exageration) wont be noticeable by any average golfer and doubtedly by any pro.

I havent hit either of those but I get the feeling that the 32 choices is more of a gimmick as they can market it under the fact that you can "fine tune" it better than any other adjustable driver on the market. However, .028* of a change(this is an exageration) wont be noticeable by any average golfer and doubtedly by any pro.

I just have to wait to agree with this. These companies have invested goodles in R&D, I find it hard to beleive they did it all on a marketing whim. I found my spot with the R9 and leave it there, but it's possible that I could fine tune it further. I don't have blind faith in what I spend my $'s on, but I do have faith that these companies won't go out on a limb for something that won't sell to the masses, especially if they are willing to send their products out to competitive testing. I need to get ahold of this before I can call it a gimmick.

I just have to wait to agree with this. These companies have invested goodles in R&D, I find it hard to beleive they did it all on a marketing whim. I found my spot with the R9 and leave it there, but it's possible that I could fine tune it further. I don't have blind faith in what I spend my $'s on, but I do have faith that these companies won't go out on a limb for something that won't sell to the masses, especially if they are willing to send their products out to competitive testing. I need to get ahold of this before I can call it a gimmick.

+1

I don't believe it's a gimmick, and believe there is a difference, but...

I also believe that with the inconsistencies in an amateur's swing, it's near impossible to tell the difference between settings that are close together (ie. 25/26) that total 32 different options. You say you could fine tune past 8, maybe 16 would've been a better step?

I agree. Especially Nike. They always have a reason behind a design, whether it would be good or a flaw. I also have the OG R9 and once I found my setting it stayed there.

You know this could backfire as well. Rather than say that this gives the average golfer more options you could also say that this overwhelms the average golfer too.

Great points. The three drivers listed above have all faired well by many, especially the straight eight. I hope to get my hands on one this year, but pretty happy with what I have already. Marketing is a hugh part of any business, but nothing without a product that makes the customer say great things to his buddies.

I agree that I could very well be wrong. However, I do not see having 32 notches added to a belt as spending millions of dollars on R&D when they already had the R&D infront of them with the original Str8 fit system. I agree with dtak that 16 would have been a better option as some may see a change in that situation.

I have trouble seeing the difference between some of the settings on my R9 460. I think 8 settings is plenty.

I'm still waiting for the chance to try out my new Nickent Evolver with CYG that allows for 26 settings to adjust face, loft, and lie angles. Once I get out of this hole of work I've dug, I need to hit the simulator and get some numbers (I won't be seeing golfing weather for another month or 2).

Back