Do i really need Golf shoes ??

Punter102

Reaction score
Handicap
Does everyone wear golf shoes or just good grippy trainers ??

Golf shoes. If you dont like spikes there are a lot of good spikeless shoes. I love my puma faas lites.

Short answer, yes

Yes for the direct answer

Absolutely. The more ground stability you can get for a good base your golf swing, the better off you are.

No, they are not a necessity. I've played in both, and can't say it makes too much difference except for comfort. The old metal spikes did make a difference however.

Wear whatever gives you the amount of stability you want.

I think it's a good idea. But not a necessity.

I'll wear my Nike Free's every now and then. If it is wet my feet slip around a lot. I would say 95% of the time I'm wearing golf shoes while playing.

As other have already mentioned, not an absolute necessity. When conditions get a little slick however, like in the morning with dew on the grass, I am glad to have them.

Im just wondering if my berghaus trail running trainers (gtx limpet) would be any good ? If they are designd to grip while running trails and mountain paths etc... Then you would expect them to have enough grip for a round of golf ?? Only 1 way to find out really.

I wear them, but to answer the title, no they are not necessary.

If its wet, I think golf shoes are a must, but I played yesterday in dry conditions and my all terrain shoes worked just fine.

Yes
But if you are a slower swing player you might be able to get away without them when it is dry since you are not putting as much torque on your base. I have slipped on occasion even in spikes if it is wet

They won't make you a scratch golfer overnight, but will probably save you 4-5 strokes per round.

Sam Snead used to play his practice rounds barefoot.

Short answer yes, spiked or spike-less, the choice is yours. You will be surprised how slippery wet grass can be!

I play with a guy that plays in skate shoes when it's cold and barefoot or in flip flops in summer and he beats me every time. I always wear my golf shoes. I would say it's up to you.

If it's dry, no. When it's wet you'll slip and your feet will get wet in normal sneakers.

I played everyday as a kid and never dreamed of owning golf shoes. I still played well enough to beat the vast majority of golfers.

I didn't my first summer playing, but last year I wore some Nikes and I'm glad I did. Saved me from spinning/slipping out in wet conditions more than once. Now I wouldn't think of playing a round without them.

If its wet, I think golf shoes are a must, but I played yesterday in dry conditions and my all terrain shoes worked just fine.

I agree with this, use them based on conditions, one of my friend's plays in his trainers and it's fine.

No No its not necessary to play in golf specific shoes. I looked up the shoes that you asked about and I believe they will do fine and provide you with some traction while making sure can't over swing/

I don't get that they are a must, do they help you not slip sure the do if your wearing spikes but I don't see much o fa difference in spike-less shoes and an all-terrain shoe.

Its awfully hard to over swing when you have to worry about loosing traction. I do a lot of training and range time in shoes that I know I can't swing for the fences in! This makes me swing with in myself and keeps me from trying to kill the ball.

Yes, golf shoes during every round and grass range practice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I'm sure it is mostly mental but I have to have my golf shoes on to play, other than that my only requirement would be that the shoes are waterproof. I hate having wet feet so that is my main concern along with slipping.

Does everyone wear golf shoes or just good grippy trainers ??

I wear running shoes a lot as well as spikeless shoes. Depends on the conditions. In the wet, I wear spiked shoes.

Sam Snead used to play his practice rounds barefoot.

So does John Daly... of course he doesn't wear a shirt either...

I did get my first pair of non-spike golf shoes, but I wouldn't try getting around a hilly or wet course without softspikes.

Back