Cleveland 588 Fairway Woods Review

Was 5/6 in FW's in what was otherwise a not so good driving day with other clubs. The one I missed I tried to hit it about 75% and hit a low/thin cutter that went way off the FW.

I'm gonna have to think about the 14 degree. It's long and gets plenty of height off the tee. I hit one off the deck on a hard pan lie and couldn't get it airborne. Not a very good swing at that. I think I'd still go driver as well but I would use this 14 degree a ton off the tee at TB come July.

Any appreciable difference in distance between the 14 and 15.5?

Any appreciable difference in distance between the 14 and 15.5?

I don't have hard numbers Hawk so really just based on site but I was hitting some of my 2nd shots yesterday where my driver was at. I might try that as a test next week and recheck it out and head to the golf course and mark 4-5 balls for each wood and hit 'em off the tee to really see. Get some real results instead of a sim. This will be a ponder for me over the next few months is if I think this could take out the driver for the MC. It was really fun using it yesterday off the tee. So much more control than my driver.

Interesting Nate.

If that 14* is a tee bomber, I could see myself going with Driver, then 14* then some hybo action. I typically dont hit a lot of FW off the deck anyone, so this might be good for some holes off the tee at the MC

That's some good info. I've gotta try it. In the past, I've actually been fine with the driver for control, but the start of this year has been a little different as I try to incorporate swing changes into my tee game.

Interesting Nate.

If that 14* is a tee bomber, I could see myself going with Driver, then 14* then some hybo action. I typically dont hit a lot of FW off the deck anyone, so this might be good for some holes off the tee at the MC

That's some good info. I've gotta try it. In the past, I've actually been fine with the driver for control, but the start of this year has been a little different as I try to incorporate swing changes into my tee game.
I was talking about this thought with the other 3 guys yesterday, of taking the driver out for the MC with this club and by the end of the round the guys were saying it appeared to be a no brainer. I wasn't even going to sniff around this club before but then really started thinking it though about "what if's". It was a fun trial yesterday.

I don't have hard numbers Hawk so really just based on site but I was hitting some of my 2nd shots yesterday where my driver was at. I might try that as a test next week and recheck it out and head to the golf course and mark 4-5 balls for each wood and hit 'em off the tee to really see. Get some real results instead of a sim. This will be a ponder for me over the next few months is if I think this could take out the driver for the MC. It was really fun using it yesterday off the tee. So much more control than my driver.

Nice thoughts dude. Accuracy is at a premium. I can understand why you're thinking this way

I've gotten in about 8 rounds with this 588 3 wood, and it is by far my favorite club in the bag. In fact, I'm heading out for a round in an hour, and I'm contemplating leaving the driver in the car. My last round out I struggled on the front, but on the back, where it's shorter and there are more doglegs, water, and trouble, I used this 3 wood off the tee more, found more fairways, and gave myself legit birdie opportunities. I will report back later as to how it went.

I've gotten in about 8 rounds with this 588 3 wood, and it is by far my favorite club in the bag. In fact, I'm heading out for a round in an hour, and I'm contemplating leaving the driver in the car. My last round out I struggled on the front, but on the back, where it's shorter and there are more doglegs, water, and trouble, I used this 3 wood off the tee more, found more fairways, and gave myself legit birdie opportunities. I will report back later as to how it went.

I know you are happy with the 15.5* three wood, but I was able to hit this one today as well as the 14* and, at least for me, with the ball flight coming down and the less spin (assumption on the spin) I was seeing 20 more yards from the 14* over the 15.5* from a tee. I am a somewhat high spin player though and your results may vary. I will say that strangely I had better results from the turf with the 14* also, but I don't hit any fairways very well from the turf and these two were definitely better than most fairway woods. Wanted to let you know of my results O'Carroll, not all golf clubs work the same for all people. I thought this might help if you can't get your driver figured out before the MC, it's not a bad alternative.

One other thing I wanted to mention O'Carroll was the 20.5* fairway wood was absolutely money, especially from some sketchy lies I gave myself on the range. It gave a nice high ball flight and even though it was a rather high ball flight it bore through the air and I was hitting into a 10-15 mph wind. I will say I didn't hit the 18* fairway wood today though.

Last edited:
I gotta say my driver has been bad lately and the 15.5 has replaced it. Can only hit long straight or fade shots with this guy. Found a lot of fairways with this guy and gonna keep using her till my driver is figured out. Love that I finally put this in the bag.

Was killing the 15.5 today. So solid off the tee. Must ponder the 14 degree a bit more.

Was killing the 15.5 today. So solid off the tee. Must ponder the 14 degree a bit more.

Love reading this bro. I'm really jacked up for this wood line

O'Carroll was mashing it off the tee yesterday as well. I think he pulled the driver maybe 4 times.

Thought you was considering the 14* for a tee club at the MC, do you think you might carry a 14* and a 15.5* three wood for the MC. I know for me the 14* was about 20 yards longer off the tee than the 15.5*. Your results may vary.

Thought you was considering the 14* for a tee club at the MC, do you think you might carry a 14* and a 15.5* three wood for the MC. I know for me the 14* was about 20 yards longer off the tee than the 15.5*. Your results may vary.

I still am considering. It will either be the 14 or 15.5, one or the other. I'll probably still go driver but I need to get both these FW woods out to my club late one evening and hit about 5 balls with each club to see if there is any consistency difference or a big difference in distance between the 2 lofts. It is just so dang easy to get the ball up and going with these woods but still being a penetrating ball flight.

I still am considering. It will either be the 14 or 15.5, one or the other. I'll probably still go driver but I need to get both these FW woods out to my club late one evening and hit about 5 balls with each club to see if there is any consistency difference or a big difference in distance between the 2 lofts. It is just so dang easy to get the ball up and going with these woods but still being a penetrating ball flight.

Now you have me pondering the 14 again haha stop it Nate

I hope I love these fairways. Having a reliable fairway wood is something that I'm realizing is a huge value for a shortknocker.

I hope I love these fairways. Having a reliable fairway wood is something that I'm realizing is a huge value for a shortknocker.

It's a huge value for everyone. Control and distance is something everyone can use

There's nothing about the appearance of the 588 that suggests anything out of the ordinary performance or otherwise, but it is by far the best 3-wood I've ever used. I like it so much after after only two rounds I sold my Titleist 913 on a popular auction site. Using this club I totally eliminate any worry about the right side of the hole. The ball flight is consistently high with a soft (well, usually soft) right-to-left. My home course has three par 5s that I've always been reluctant to use a 3-wood for my second shot because how narrow it plays. No worries anymore. I have a 15.5 and it's so long I've wondered what I could get out of the 14, but as for now I'm happy with by current bag. Love to hit the 14 though, just to see.

Last edited:
Love the look, and feel in the hand of this three wood, hope to one day find a demo day and see what it does in the wild.

Thats awesome man, say last Friday I was loving the 3 wood and was hitting so many Fairways it was crazy. Was even out driving Parshoot36 on some of his balls he hit with his driver. Say this guy is a fairway finder, and I imagine I'll keep the Driver in the bag unless it's a open fairway and has a dogleg right to it. So happy WCBM made me pull this guy out of package and play this.

Love all the fairway finding being done with this 3W, definitely will be giving this one a look cause I love hitting 3W off the tee (and maybe even some deck too)

Just was looking at my Scorecard from Friday and I hit 9 fairways because of this beast. That is awesome for me and I can really call it a fairway finder. The ones I missed I was about 3-5 feet off the fairway and that was with my driver.
Love all the fairway finding being done with this 3W, definitely will be giving this one a look cause I love hitting 3W off the tee (and maybe even some deck too)

So I said I would report back from Saturdays round, and here it is. I pulled 3 wood instead of driver on all par 4s with the exception of the 18th hole (after a blowup on 17). I was 2 of 9 hitting fairways with the 588 3 wood with two of those misses just into the rough. Oddly enough, I was 3 of 5 hitting the remaining fairways with my driver, but everything I put in this post is a direct result of my lazy, inconsistent swing, and nothing to do with clubs.

Shot of the day, may have been my 588 3 wood tee shot on the 9th hole. A dogleg left (YES!) par 4 playing 352. I literally hit the perfect draw (hook) 3 wood that mirrored the shape of the hole, carried the bunker, and rolled down the fairways towards the green leaving less than 90 yards in. I'll take 260 yards and in the fairway EVERY time out of a fairway wood. The next hole I again pulled the 3 wood, and again found the fairway. And on the 13th hole, another par 4 playing 364, I miss-hit the ball a touch, it drew through the left side of the fairway 2 yards into the rough, and I GPS'd it at this:
7ADDFADD-277C-46B0-92AE-55ECF9C158FA_zpscd31ht4a.jpg

I only bring this up, because on a perfect strike with my Voice Caddie SC100 at the driving range, I got a reading of 256 carry--which is consistent (IMO) with my 265 yard nicely struck tee shot on hole #9. And for this one to roll out to 250 on a less-than-perfect strike, and only miss the fairway by a yard or 2, is huge for me. My next two tee shots with the 588 3 wood were bad swings, and I could feel my body getting lazy, but the first one was pulled weakly into a fairway bunker (still made par) and the second was hit through the left side of the fairway on a dogleg right (boo).

It's still my favorite club in the bag, and I'm heading out to the range now to work on tempo (I think) and hopefully see if I can find some more consistency in my swing. So my question becomes this. With 250-260 yard tee shots with the 15.5, what is the benefit of looking at the 14? I've had as much (if not more) success playing the 15.5 from the fairway as I have had from the tee, would a 14 be any different?

So I said I would report back from Saturdays round, and here it is. I pulled 3 wood instead of driver on all par 4s with the exception of the 18th hole (after a blowup on 17). I was 2 of 9 hitting fairways with the 588 3 wood with two of those misses just into the rough. Oddly enough, I was 3 of 5 hitting the remaining fairways with my driver, but everything I put in this post is a direct result of my lazy, inconsistent swing, and nothing to do with clubs.

Shot of the day, may have been my 588 3 wood tee shot on the 9th hole. A dogleg left (YES!) par 4 playing 352. I literally hit the perfect draw (hook) 3 wood that mirrored the shape of the hole, carried the bunker, and rolled down the fairways towards the green leaving less than 90 yards in. I'll take 260 yards and in the fairway EVERY time out of a fairway wood. The next hole I again pulled the 3 wood, and again found the fairway. And on the 13th hole, another par 4 playing 364, I miss-hit the ball a touch, it drew through the left side of the fairway 2 yards into the rough, and I GPS'd it at this:
7ADDFADD-277C-46B0-92AE-55ECF9C158FA_zpscd31ht4a.jpg

I only bring this up, because on a perfect strike with my Voice Caddie SC100 at the driving range, I got a reading of 256 carry--which is consistent (IMO) with my 265 yard nicely struck tee shot on hole #9. And for this one to roll out to 250 on a less-than-perfect strike, and only miss the fairway by a yard or 2, is huge for me. My next two tee shots with the 588 3 wood were bad swings, and I could feel my body getting lazy, but the first one was pulled weakly into a fairway bunker (still made par) and the second was hit through the left side of the fairway on a dogleg right (boo).

It's still my favorite club in the bag, and I'm heading out to the range now to work on tempo (I think) and hopefully see if I can find some more consistency in my swing. So my question becomes this. With 250-260 yard tee shots with the 15.5, what is the benefit of looking at the 14? I've had as much (if not more) success playing the 15.5 from the fairway as I have had from the tee, would a 14 be any different?

14 should be tougher to hit from deck but unless you are a 300 yd hitter I doubt you need to drop down to 14 to cover a gap just no reason really

Back