What water are you fishing this week Trout, or did the storm this morning cancel your plans?

If my memory serves me correctly , it was fiberglass , 12foot long , we cut it and put the ferrel on , then glued all the cork pieces on the handle end , then shaped it with a file for the rod rings , we lined it up and put on all the line eyes on by turning the pole and rolling on the thread , then used a urethane clear to paint over the thread for protection , damn that brings back memories !!!! I was in the 8th grade when I did that ! I still have my Salmon Rod and reel with a DamnQuick open bail reel , that thing is like broom stick stiff for those 50LB plus salmon we used to catch !
What was even cooler is my teacher taught us how to tie flies , I actually gave that kit away about 10 years ago to an old timer that retired in a body shop I used to work at . I have not fished since I moved to Kansas back in 1978 .

I also went to a fly fishing convention in Grants Pass , and man what some of those guys could do with a fly & pole were amazing !!
Watched these guys from about 50-100 feet out plop flys into small dixie cups !!

What water are you fishing this week Trout, or did the storm this morning cancel your plans?

I'm leaving to go up there tomorrow Danny, I'll be fishing a few blue lines, the Oconaluftee, the little river, and maybethe little pigeon, all in park boundries. I want to shoot over to Cherokee and fish the trophy section over there before and after I play sequoia.

If my memory serves me correctly , it was fiberglass , 12foot long , we cut it and put the ferrel on , then glued all the cork pieces on the handle end , then shaped it with a file for the rod rings , we lined it up and put on all the line eyes on by turning the pole and rolling on the thread , then used a urethane clear to paint over the thread for protection , damn that brings back memories !!!! I was in the 8th grade when I did that ! I still have my Salmon Rod and reel with a DamnQuick open bail reel , that thing is like broom stick stiff for those 50LB plus salmon we used to catch !
What was even cooler is my teacher taught us how to tie flies , I actually gave that kit away about 10 years ago to an old timer that retired in a body shop I used to work at . I have not fished since I moved to Kansas back in 1978 .

I also went to a fly fishing convention in Grants Pass , and man what some of those guys could do with a fly & pole were amazing !!
Watched these guys from about 50-100 feet out plop flys into small dixie cups !!

Good times and good memories for sure, I could never imagine a 50 lb salmon lol, what a fight that must have been. On another note, I painted cars for quite a while and became a paint rep for the last 16 years lol. Small world.

Man, when the buds start a poppin, the Trout start a hoppin! Can't wait to get on a nice trout stream in a month or two. Anyone been fishing lately?

Nothing suits me more than small stream fishing for native brookies.

Nothing suits me more than small stream fishing for native brookies.

Man I can put you on some good water up there that no one knows about! Very Snakey though, lots of coppers.

I have a cheap setup i got from cabelas. I have never took it out on the water yet though. I still have trouble casting a fly rod, so i usually just stick with my spin reels when i go out so i dont embarrass myself.

I have a cheap setup i got from cabelas. I have never took it out on the water yet though. I still have trouble casting a fly rod, so i usually just stick with my spin reels when i go out so i dont embarrass myself.

You can pick up a Joan Wulff Fly-o and learn to cast in your living room, they are around $30 bucks and are awesome!

boat1_zpse2056fbe.jpg

boat3_zps8f70a574.jpg

boat2_zpse7cf6c2d.jpg

Here is a 23 foot river boat my Dad made to put in the AuSable river up here. It wasn't finished here but I don't have any other pictures of it completed on my computer. I will have to see if he has any finished ones. I figured it would be cool to show you guys.

That's beautiful Prubey.

Thank you! He sure is proud of that thing!

Hey guys i need some help setting up my fly fishing pole. I dont have the first clue how to fly fish though, so i have some really noob questions.
I bought this last year with some gift cards and id like to actually give it a shot this spring. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fish...nknown;cat104793480;cat104762880;cat105571980
Problem is when i received it i had to cut off the leader(?) looked like mono filament line to get it to unspool from the reel. So my question is what do i need to buy to get it in use? I keep hearing leader and tippet being thrown around but i cant for the life of my figure out what is what. Im also not sure what size i need to purchase and what size flies i should pick up that will work well with the setup. Any help for a noob is appreciated, the line weight on the pole is 5. i have been googling/ youtubing this all evening and seem to be going in circles. :banghead:

Last edited:
A leader is what you connect to your fly line and the tippet is connected to the end of the leader and then to the fly. The simplest way to get it all done is get these, they will simply attach the leader to the line http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fish...793480;cat104721480;cat104429880;cat103880880
get leaders depending on the species you're fishing for, I use 5x for trout and if you're learning it may be best to keep it at 7.5 ft, attach about 18 inches of tippet to the end of leader and attach the fly to the other end.

What fish species are you fishing for?

A leader is what you connect to your fly line and the tippet is connected to the end of the leader and then to the fly. The simplest way to get it all done is get these, they will simply attach the leader to the line http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly-Fishing/Leaders-Tippets/Leader-Tippet-Accessories%7C/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/104429880/i/103880880/Cortland-Floating-Leader-Loops/744179.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-fly-fishing-leaders-tippets-leader-tippet-accessories%2F_%2FN-1100450%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103880880%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104793480%253Bcat104721480%253Bcat104429880&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104721480%3Bcat104429880%3Bcat103880880
get leaders depending on the species you're fishing for, I use 5x for trout and if you're learning it may be best to keep it at 7.5 ft, attach about 18 inches of tippet to the end of leader and attach the fly to the other end.

What fish species are you fishing for?
mostly trout, but id also probably give it a shot on bass. You say that the tippet attaches to the fly. Do you attach tippet to all your flies before you go out and then connect them to the leader when you want to use them or do you just use one connected to the leader and replace as needed?

mostly trout, but id also probably give it a shot on bass. You say that the tippet attaches to the fly. Do you attach tippet to all your flies before you go out and then connect them to the leader when you want to use them or do you just use one connected to the leader and replace as needed?
With the tippet comes in sizes, 0x to 6x. 0x being the biggest at .011 inches and 6x being .005 inches. Obviously this means that once youve gotten a fish to take you fly you need to be gently in setting the hook with the smaller tippets. i would recomment you start somewhere around the 4x range unless your using very small flies. what you need to keep in mind is that the with fly fishing it's all about presentation of your fly. You don't want the trout to see the line just the fly especially when fishing with dry flies.

When the buds start poppin the Trout start hoppin! Anyone been fishing yet? I'm hoping to get to the hills soon.

I went opening day, water was bad. Way to high. Hatches are a ways off as unseasonably cold as it's been up here.

Gonna be a good sulphur hatch this year buddy, thick and bright!

I Fly Fish and dabble in Fly Tying. Been up the the Owens River a couple months ago, nice water. Planning a trip up into the Golden Trout Wilderness this year.

Rivers are all blown out right now around here. Went up to a lake up in the mountains last weekend and threw some streamers around with some friends. Found a little honey hole and had some fun. I got 4 and my spin fishing friends doubled that. Mostly rainbows with a few cutts. One of the cutts my buddy got had some amazing coloration. Beautiful fish.

Fly Fishing

I lived to fly-fish before I discovered golf. Good lord do I miss it. I'm from the driftless area of Wisconsin some of the best trout water anywhere.

I lived to fly-fish before I discovered golf. Good lord do I miss it. I'm from the driftless area of Wisconsin some of the best trout water anywhere.

I hear its great there.

Man you guys are killing me, I haven't been out yet I did do some scouting though and found some nice water. Hopefully soon.

I hear its great there.

It really is. Beautiful spring creeks and the accessibility is amazing. There is no place I'd rather be an a summer morning than on Timber Coulee.

Going to try and get into this more. Anyone do this or have suggestions on starter reel/rod? Leaning towards the Redington field kit for trout.

Back