robmypro

Reaction score
I played my second round at Fox Hollow today. I put in a couple of range sessions, and had the putting lesson. Here is a comparison of the 2 rounds:

Round 1: 118

Pars: 0
Bogey: 6
Double: 5
Triple: 2
> Triple: 5
Putts: 39

Round 2: 105

Pars: 1
Bogey: 8
Double: 4
Triple: 4
> Triple: 1
Putts: 36

I improved on 8 holes and did worse on 3.

I still had too many penalty strokes, and put 2 in the water. But I also chipped in for par, and had several par putts lip out. And I had a nice sand shot again, so I am feeling good about that. With a little luck I think I might be able to break 100 within a few rounds.

I also sorted out my grip, and my hands feel better, so there's that. And, the wife and I had a great time.

It really helps to know the course, and I think I can start being a bit more aggressive, and strategic with where I want to play my shots.

Breaking 110 was nice, but i really want to break 100 now.

105 is pretty damn good dude. That's something to be proud of!

13 stroke drop between rounds is awesome...keep up the great work

105 is pretty damn good dude. That's something to be proud of!

Thanks Hawk! It definitely feels good, especially considering I only have my driver and irons, so the 3 and 4i saw a lot of action today.

13 stroke drop between rounds is awesome...keep up the great work

Thanks Mike!

That's a great freaking round for your second in 30 years, congrats man! Keep up the good work.

That's a great freaking round for your second in 30 years, congrats man! Keep up the good work.

Thanks buddy. The rust is coming off, although I think I am playing better now than I ever did 30 years ago. Thanks to THP I feel a lot more prepared out there, and I am starting to transition mentally from "trying not to screw up" to "thinking strategically about each shot" which should bring down my scores. Lessons should help too.

105 already!?! good for you man!

You will be under 100 and marching in no time. Keep us up to date.

105 already!?! good for you man!

You will be under 100 and marching in no time. Keep us up to date.

Thanks man! I appreciate everyone's kind words and encouragement!

Great job! Those greens are so hard to read, for me anyway. Well done!

Great job! Those greens are so hard to read, for me anyway. Well done!

Thanks! Yeah, you are not kidding. The only thing that saved me was I was able to keep the ball close after my first putt, so I mostly avoided 3 putting, with the exception of one hole I was on the green in regulation with. That hurt! But I like the course. Fox Hollow is cool.

Thanks! Yeah, you are not kidding. The only thing that saved me was I was able to keep the ball close after my first putt, so I mostly avoided 3 putting, with the exception of one hole I was on the green in regulation with. That hurt! But I like the course. Fox Hollow is cool.

Ha, they don't seem to follow any rhyme or reason, mountain or water. Just crazy, no short putt is a gimme! Some great layouts and a lot of fun. More blind boxes than I've seen out here!

Nice job there. Heck of an improvement. Keep up the good work and you'll be shooting lower and lower in no time.

Ha, they don't seem to follow any rhyme or reason, mountain or water. Just crazy, no short putt is a gimme! Some great layouts and a lot of fun. More blind boxes than I've seen out here!

Which 9's have you played? I am sticking with Links and Meadow for a while. Pin placement seemed harder this round, no doubt. I had some 10 to 15 footers that lipped out. Those were harsh. But overall it seems challenging but fair. Looking forward to giving Canyon a go.

Nice job there. Heck of an improvement. Keep up the good work and you'll be shooting lower and lower in no time.

Thanks dude. I still have A LOT of work to do, but this feels good.

Excellent Rob! You will get there :)

13 shot improvement.....that is a heck of a jump, keep it up and you will be knocking on the door of 90, never mind 100!

Keep up the good work. I think it's really just focusing on a few key things that will get you down under 100 on a consistent basis. You're on the right track for sure!

Which 9's have you played? I am sticking with Links and Meadow for a while. Pin placement seemed harder this round, no doubt. I had some 10 to 15 footers that lipped out. Those were harsh. But overall it seems challenging but fair. Looking forward to giving Canyon a go.

Have only been there one time and played the Canyon/Meadows combo. Really liked the Canyon, very mind intensive. The first hole if your anywhere left of center off the box, you can't see the flag let alone the green. 30 feet of elevation...stay right, ha. Some really cool holes on that nine.

105 is a good score at a tough track. I have played there three times and always played canyon/meadow. I need to play links/canyon which plays out toughest according to rating and slope

A couple of details. First, my second shot on one of the par 4's was a 5i and it was a beauty, being a slight fade heading right for the green. I get to the green and can't find my ball. The shot was right down the center of the fairway. I saw it land but then it disappeared. Found it at the edge of a pond. I actually hit the small sign in the middle of the fairway that tells you no carts past this point. That was brutal. On a par 3 I hit my tee shot right at the pin, then a gust of wind litterally knocked the ball straight down. Bogey on that hole too.

On the other side, I had a couple of drives off the tee that barely made it past a hazard. So I may need to layup on those, or it could get ugly. I got lucky yesterday on one for sure.

On the front 9 all of my gains came from the first 4 holes. I was 12 over on those the second round (19 the first round), so the key to breaking 100 and maybe even 90 lies mostly here. I don't consider them hard holes, either. It just takes a few holes to warm up I guess. On the back 9 I avoided the blowup on the same hole, but still took a penalty on it. Otherwise it was just a little better chipping and putting that shaved 6 strokes off.

I am excited to see what round 3 looks like, but first I need a few range sessions. I am going to give the long irons and driver more attention, because I am just not giving myself enough birdie or par opportunities. Many times I was chipping or pitching for par, which basically meant double bogey. Quite a few times I was staring at 230 out with the 3i. Just a hard way to score.

One other positive is the driver. Got the tee height right, and the big slice has settled down. But if I do upgrade anything it will be that. I might also give a hybrid a go, at some point. But overall the Eye 2 irons are keepers.

BTW, here are some pictures. Sorry it took so long to get them up.

Attachments

• photo (5).jpg
    photo (5).jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    94 KB · Views: 0
WTG! That's pretty good improvement right there.

Course looks fun.

Back