Heel versus center shafted putters: Play them differently?

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
So I'm trying to make the switch from my STX ProFIT 6 (350g) center shafted putter to my Odyssey #7 (400g) heel shafted putter. I wanted to switch from the ProFIT to the #7 because I felt the insert in the ProFIT hampered long lag putts, and I wanted something to help me get it closer to the cup. Oddly enough, I feel like I am leaving a lot of things short with the #7. Additionally, I burn the left edge of the cup a lot more with the #7. A couple of rounds approaching 40 putts per round has me concerned. Now, a bit of it may be lack of practice but I was wondering if the two putters will play drastically different. How long does it typically take to acclimate to a new putter? I'm about to give up on this experiment and just put the ProFIT back into the bag.

To me, the difference is how they fit my eye. I prefer a heel shafted putter over a CS one.

I'm not sure that I putt any differently with them from a mechanics standpoint, but I'm more comfortable with a heel shafted putter.

Same as clive for me. It's completely visual and I just don't feel comfortable over a center shafted putter

The reason I picked up a #7 was because I liked the way it looked at address, and felt comfortable with how it framed the ball. I suppose it's possible that I need to do a bit better job counterbalancing it so my swing with it feels a bit smoother. What I do know is that right now, I have zero confidence in any putt longer than 5', and even with the 5 footers sometimes I catch myself saying "You're probably going to ***k this putt up." It's the worst feeling in the world.

The other issue could simply be that now that I'm hitting my irons a bit better and reaching the greens and needing to take more lag putts as opposed to chipping onto the green and taking < 10' putts. In which case, I'm just finding out that I'm a horrible putter-er. :/

I'm the opposite. The more offset in the heel shafted putter, the more uncomfortable I am due to struggling to trust the alignment.

But deuce to your question, it looks like you went from center shafted to heel shafted, 350 grams to 400 grams, and potentially standard to counterbalanced all at once. It may take some time to feel comfortable with all those changes, however, putters are purely personal, so don't feel bad about abandoning the experiment and going back to what you know. I know that something as simple as changing grip diameter has changed how a putter feels enough for me to like one I didn't like before and to hate one I loved before.

If you got a chance to roll one, a center shafted #7 White Hot Pro might be a compromise between the two you mentioned.

The reason I picked up a #7 was because I liked the way it looked at address, and felt comfortable with how it framed the ball. I suppose it's possible that I need to do a bit better job counterbalancing it so my swing with it feels a bit smoother. What I do know is that right now, I have zero confidence in any putt longer than 5', and even with the 5 footers sometimes I catch myself saying "You're probably going to ***k this putt up." It's the worst feeling in the world.

The other issue could simply be that now that I'm hitting my irons a bit better and reaching the greens and needing to take more lag putts as opposed to chipping onto the green and taking < 10' putts. In which case, I'm just finding out that I'm a horrible putter-er. :/

That's not a putter problem. That's a confidence problem.

Suggestion: try reading Unconscious Putting. The Kool-Ade is delicious!!

Use the line on the ball to help you in the short term. I always used offset putters, and when I made a switch to a CS I really had to trust both the RST (it was a Seemore) and the line on my ball.

Not a difference for me. I just find my line, address the ball, keep the putter shaft centered with my body, rock my shoulders, and push it right.......errr......drain the putt.

Use the line on the ball to help you in the short term.
I do. That's step #1 of my routine. Line up the ball, step back 10' and make sure it's lined up properly. Adjust if necessary. One practice swing, address the ball, re-check my distance, and then smooth swing through the ball keeping my head down for a three count before lifting.

That's not a putter problem. That's a confidence problem.

Suggestion: try reading Unconscious Putting. The Kool-Ade is delicious!!
Thanks, just picked up a copy from B&N for my Nook.

Last edited:
Ball position changes for me. With a CS putter the putter sits middle of my stance, with a heel shaft it sits just back as the putter has offset built into the neck, the offset is the difference.

In the end, its just personal preference.

With CS you may see a bit less face rotation, so if you have a stroke with a strong arc it may take some getting used to but it shouldnt be a huge difference. It will probably just take a bit of getting used to.

Took both out today to run through my putting drills. Picked a hole on the putting green with lots of break. While I can easily go 20/20 with my STX, I could only get 10 in a row with the #7 during the clock drill (3' out). Lag putting from around 30' I can get the balls all within 5' with both putters, but I'll be darned if I can make all of the second putts with the #7. To my eye, the center shafted STX just looks a lot better to me and I have more confidence. The #7 does feel a bit heavy, so I'm going to sink a bit more counterweight into it to see if that helps me a bit.

To me, the difference is how they fit my eye. I prefer a heel shafted putter over a CS one.

I'm not sure that I putt any differently with them from a mechanics standpoint, but I'm more comfortable with a heel shafted putter.

I agree with ^^^ I have tried a CS putter (several brands) and always go back to a heel shafted one which I am more comfortable with.

I pulled out my CS putter (Rife Trinidad) that I hadn't used in awhile and rolled a few and realized that I still feel like my address and confidence is very high with a no-offset shaft. I think that might have more to do with how I play it than heel or center-shaft necessarily.

Never even tried a center shafted putter until about 10 months ago. I now have no desire to ever go back to a heel shafted putter. Was extremely tempted the other day to buy a non-center shafted putter but decided not to buy it mainly for that reason.

I'm the opposite. The more offset in the heel shafted putter, the more uncomfortable I am due to struggling to trust the alignment.

I'm exactly the same. I had a Scottsdale Anser 2 from ping before. Great on lag putts but I just couldn't get any confidence lining the putter up on short ones. It always felt closed to me. Didn't help I could see the white TR insert at address either. That slowly sent me potty. Swapped to a SeeMore CS with no insert. Simple to align with the shaft going straight into the putter. Previously, I've always thought they looked ugly. Now I'm in love with my putter.

I've always been a heel shafted guy, the center shafted putters just look wierd to me.

Never even tried a center shafted putter until about 10 months ago. I now have no desire to ever go back to a heel shafted putter. Was extremely tempted the other day to buy a non-center shafted putter but decided not to buy it mainly for that reason.
I was looking at some Rife's yesterday, and they had a sweet looking #9 style putter (Abaco) there. Was tempted, but then I wizened up and put it back.

Playing a 9 hole scramble today after work. Going to put the STX back into play. If I putt lights out with it today I may suspend the #7 experiment for awhile. At least until I can get my hands on a CS #7 for cheap.

I miss equally well with both types of putters.:act-up:

Honestly, putting is a mind game and none of the 40 or more putters I have tried are nearly as responsible for my misses as my gray matter.

I miss equally well with both types of putters.:act-up:

Honestly, putting is a mind game and none of the 40 or more putters I have tried are nearly as responsible for my misses as my gray matter.
Very true. I guess I'm in search of the putter which will mess least with my head.

Without a doubt, the center shafted STX ProFIT 6 is going back into the bag. I was hitting everything tonight. Had a couple of 10 to 12' putts today that I sank today, and anything within that distance I felt very confident on. Had a lag putt that I totally botched, but otherwise I was very confident with the putter today. About a third of the way through our captains choice round today they just started letting me putt first so we could move to the next hole. That's a great way to build the confidence.

I love the look of the #7, but the ProFIT 6 has won it's spot in the bag and I owe it to her to let her keep it.

Rolled a Betti today at the PGA Superstore. Wow, that was a bad idea. Anyone have $350 they can loan me?

Back