Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

You might be right about the swing speed and lower lofts, it might be a good idea to have one hybrid in the bag, I seem to hit the X Hot 4 Hybrid better out of deep rough than the 5 Altitude, so it might be good to leave it in just for that reason.

Have you tried the x2 hot hybrids? I found them to be longer than the xhots by about 7 yds on average fwiw. The x hot 4 was as close as makes no difference to my altitude 4, distance wise.

Just wondering on thoughts about the 3&4 Altitudes as compared to a regular hybrid....

If a person has a flatter swing, or slower swing speed, then they might struggle to get the launch needed to get the best out of lower lofts.

BamBooBender hit the nail on the head for me. I'm a slower swing speed player (particularly by internet standards) and am a sweeper. I only hit the driver 85-90 MPH. For me, a 19 degree hybrid can be really tough, and a 21 degree hybrid can be tough if it has a steel shaft. The cut off line for me is 4H in graphite and 5H in steel.

When I played this set in steels, I paired it with more traditional hybrids in the 3 and 4 slots. I found that to work pretty well.

This time around, I want more flow and fewer transitions, so I'm just gaming the 4H down in graphite with no 3H at all. Honestly, given my lack of swing speed, there's only about a 25 yard gap between my 4W and the 4H (which is really more like a 3.5H).

One other thing to note is offset. These have less offset than a lot of the SGI type hybrids that typically fit my game well. I'm probably giving up a little in launch, particularly off the deck, but it is better for alignment.

Finally, if you're considering the 3H, try and look at it in person. I'm personally not a fan of it visually, and would much rather play a 7W.

I am going to swing the 7i and 8i today at Golf Galaxy. If these are easier to hit than their a12os counterparts then I might be making a purchase from the Cleveland store.

Can't find a left handed demo of these in Austin, Texas. I am in major ponder mode. I reached out to Cleveland Golf to see if it can tell me where I can go to demo the Altitudes.....

I got to get out on my home course and got a quick 9 in last night before dark. I now remember why I liked these irons so much in the past. I hit 6 of 9 greens, made 6 pars, 3 bogies to shoot a stress free 39. I also remember why I got frustrated with them because I felt I could have gone lower. I missed every up and down opportunity. Its pretty sad when you shoot below your handi but all you think about are the shots that got away. I hit these so well that whenever I miss I am in disbelief. Let me correct that, I am more amazed at how many greens I hit with marginal swings and bad contact. I would say that 3 of the greens I hit yesterday were with bad swings with contact on the heel that left me on the green short and right but about 30 feet away. Fortunately, 2 putted every GIR with my new smartsquare putter, loving it. Definitely would not have hit those greens with my old irons and those crappy swings. These irons lull you into believing you are better than you are, lol.

Good round twoods!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I was hoping to try out my new drop wedge that was due to arrive today. I received a srixon hi-brid glove instead. Somebody really jacked up my order! Lol I'm sure it will get straightened out, but I am disappointed.

I am going to swing the 7i and 8i today at Golf Galaxy. If these are easier to hit than their a12os counterparts then I might be making a purchase from the Cleveland store.

Get your credit card warmed up then.

Get your credit card warmed up then.

Actually, they proved not to be for me. I really liked the heft of the head. Absolutely felt like I would have no problem getting them airborne. But in swinging them for a good 20 minutes, the weight was a big disadvantage in my swing. I felt most of the weight in the toe of the head, and the club head would not turn over quickly enough and I hit almost everything to the right, including a lot of shanks. I also noticed a much higher spin rate in these than my a12os'es and the few that went straight were 10-15y shorter than my current clubs.

I am glad I tried them, to scratch that itch. It is now out of my head. I went to the range afterwards with my 2h-8i and had a great session really focusing on my swing with my clubs, free of the thoughts of another club being better for me. I also figured out something I had not been doing lately - getting my weight more on my front knee - and that made a huge difference.

So, all in all, I am very happy that I went through this process.

I will absolutely recommend the Altitudes to anyone looking at SGI to at least try them. Just were not for me.

Actually, they proved not to be for me. I really liked the heft of the head. Absolutely felt like I would have no problem getting them airborne. But in swinging them for a good 20 minutes, the weight was a big disadvantage in my swing. I felt most of the weight in the toe of the head, and the club head would not turn over quickly enough and I hit almost everything to the right, including a lot of shanks. I also noticed a much higher spin rate in these than my a12os'es and the few that went straight were 10-15y shorter than my current clubs.

I am glad I tried them, to scratch that itch. It is now out of my head. I went to the range afterwards with my 2h-8i and had a great session really focusing on my swing with my clubs, free of the thoughts of another club being better for me. I also figured out something I had not been doing lately - getting my weight more on my front knee - and that made a huge difference.

So, all in all, I am very happy that I went through this process.

I will absolutely recommend the Altitudes to anyone looking at SGI to at least try them. Just were not for me.

Too bad they didn't work out for you. At least you got to try them.

Well, of course the day I stop by my house at 11:30am, is the day my clubs get delivered at 11:45am when I am not there.

Hopefully they are still sitting on my stoop when I get home at 4:30pm today.

Think I am gonna hit up GG after work to demo the 5i hybrid. Used to have a Mizuno JPX Fli Hi that was similar and loved it.

Well, of course the day I stop by my house at 11:30am, is the day my clubs get delivered at 11:45am when I am not there.

Sounds like a reason to come down with a case of the sniffles or an acute stomach virus

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on them

Think I am gonna hit up GG after work to demo the 5i hybrid. Used to have a Mizuno JPX Fli Hi that was similar and loved it.

I have owned and liked the Fli His. Visually, sound and feel wise the JPX is better. I like the integrated nature of the Altitudes up and down the set better. My JPX was is steel, and I felt like the Altitudes in steel or graphite were both a bit easier to launch. I've not owned the JPX in graphite though, so I can't comment on that.

Found a store that has a 6i I can demo. CANT WAIT to see what it does!

BamBooBender hit the nail on the head for me. I'm a slower swing speed player (particularly by internet standards) and am a sweeper. I only hit the driver 85-90 MPH. For me, a 19 degree hybrid can be really tough, and a 21 degree hybrid can be tough if it has a steel shaft. The cut off line for me is 4H in graphite and 5H in steel.

When I played this set in steels, I paired it with more traditional hybrids in the 3 and 4 slots. I found that to work pretty well.

This time around, I want more flow and fewer transitions, so I'm just gaming the 4H down in graphite with no 3H at all. Honestly, given my lack of swing speed, there's only about a 25 yard gap between my 4W and the 4H (which is really more like a 3.5H).

One other thing to note is offset. These have less offset than a lot of the SGI type hybrids that typically fit my game well. I'm probably giving up a little in launch, particularly off the deck, but it is better for alignment.

Finally, if you're considering the 3H, try and look at it in person. I'm personally not a fan of it visually, and would much rather play a 7W.

Thanks for that it confirms what I have done, taken the 3 hybrid out and replaced it with a 4 taken the 4 iron out also, I also use a 4 wood instead of a 3, as I can hit that more consistently off the deck.

Mine arrived today from codybwallace. So excited.

Have them sitting in a bucket of water, and then gonna give them a good clean/polish. Dude sent along a couple of gripes, so I get to try them out on these grips. Debating if I strip them off and blow on the green 3gens today, or wait until after a range session.

Nothing is more satisfying to me than giving the clubs a good clean up.

Still waiting to hear back from the ebay vendor that really hosed up my order. The bad thing is I ordered the Alt sand wedge from them too. I hope I don't get a bag of tees instead of the sand wedge. haha

I love reading your posts here boys. You got me drooling like a hound dog with an abscessed tooth. :beat-up:

I love reading your posts here boys. You got me drooling like a hound dog with an abscessed tooth. :beat-up:

Messed up orders get you excited? haha

I'm sure we will see some Altitudes in your bag after the King even if it's just the 5and 6 :D

I know that sucks buddy! Hopefully you will get it straighten out soon.

It's a pretty good darn chance. :D

I have no doubt on either of these.

I wish I could get hold of some of the short Altitudes to try like a P or D to see how they perform against my X Hots.

Back