Having no issues in the sand...some tips

robmypro

Reaction score
I seem to be going really well with my bunker shots, so I thought I would share what I am doing in case it helps anyone. All I do is address the ball so it is a little up in my stance, and then hit about 1-2 inches behind the ball. I give it a good whack. She comes flying out smoothly every time.

I have only had a few shots out of the sand so far, but this is pretty much automatic. I even found myself rooting for the ball to go into a bunker on one hole so I could practice it.

Maybe it just works for me, but it seems like an easy shot. If I could just figure out all the other shots...

They say that the sand shot is the easiest shot because you don't even hit the ball. I wish it were so easy!

I think they are right Small. I had a bunker shot yesterday with the pin right above it. I was probably 5 feet away after the shot. The key is to hit the sand an inch or 2 behind the ball. Maybe I got lucky on a few shots, but it worked like a charm.

Try it.

Just hit it straight they said. It'll be easy they said.

I think they are right Small. I had a bunker shot yesterday with the pin right above it. I was probably 5 feet away after the shot. The key is to hit the sand an inch or 2 behind the ball. Maybe I got lucky on a few shots, but it worked like a charm.

Try it.

I've been trying it for 35 plus years! hahaha

I think I know how to do it, in fact I taught someone how to do it! But I have never been too good at it. I have been having a lot better results with my new gap wedge though.

They say that the sand shot is the easiest shot because you don't even hit the ball. I wish it were so easy!

is that why I get my best contact when I'm in a bunker?

My easiest sand shot is just trying like crazy not end up there i hate the sand

Must be my dislike for the Hoff

is that why I get my best contact when I'm in a bunker?

Hahaha, probably! I have hit some very nice 70 to 90 yard shots with a sand wedge!

Having no issues in the sand...some tips

I find it pretty easy to get out of bunkers. As the op says, a couple of inches behind the ball give it a good whack, comes out every time. I look at the spot in the sand rather than the ball, sounds pretty obvious, but I bet there are plenty that focus on the ball. Now getting up an down from the sand, that's not so easy.

I find it pretty easy to get out of bunkers. As the op says, a couple of inches behind the ball give it a good whack, comes out every time. I look at the spot in the sand rather than the ball, sounds pretty obvious, but I bet there are plenty that focus on the ball. Now getting up an down from the sand, that's not so easy.

Exactly Mark. It seems like the easiest shot, so figured I would share since so many don't like sand. Hit 2 inches behind the ball and presto!

the biggest thing for me is commitment on bunker shots. I "know" exactly how to hit them and in theory, it is really quite simple. I'll go for months at a time where I'm playing great out of bunkers. Heck, I've even had some pretty good success out of fairway bunkers lately. Committing to the swing and accelerating through it is the key for me. Deceleration is death. What throws most people off, I think, is when they catch the ball first on one and launch it over the green. The doubt creeps in and that messes with their ability to commit.

I don't mind green side bunkers one bit. One thing that really helps me with distance control is visualizing tossing the sand exactly as far as you wish to toss the ball. It was a method I learned from Shawn Clement and it has helped me immensely.

That's cool that you have been playing this shot good. I don't want to sound mean or anything but different sand changes it up a bit. I don't normally mind sand shots but when they have been wet and get hard its doesn't seam as easy to get out of.

I place the ball towards the back of my stance, and I dig in so I'm level with the ball. The biggest thing - for me - is to not decel on the downswing. When I do that, I'm typically hitting a second shot out of the sand.

Tour pros would rather be in a greenside bunker than in greenside rough or in a fairway collection area.

Tour pros would rather be in a greenside bunker than in greenside rough or in a fairway collection area.

Depends on the tour pro and the course truly. I would not collectively say all one way or the other.

I seem to be going really well with my bunker shots, so I thought I would share what I am doing in case it helps anyone. All I do is address the ball so it is a little up in my stance, and then hit about 1-2 inches behind the ball. I give it a good whack. She comes flying out smoothly every time.

I have only had a few shots out of the sand so far, but this is pretty much automatic. I even found myself rooting for the ball to go into a bunker on one hole so I could practice it.

Maybe it just works for me, but it seems like an easy shot. If I could just figure out all the other shots...

I think my sand problems have to do with my full swing - and the steep plane I'm on when I'm at impact. I think if you're doing well out of the sand, that says a lot about your full swing - your mechanics are probably pretty decent. Nice going. Wish I could figure it out - can't say I don't practice it enough. I really do spend a lot of time w/ short game shots/sand game.

Sand play comes and goes for me, some days I can actually get the ball fairly close, some days I am just happy getting the ball out. I think it may have a lot to do with how my confidence and my touch are that particular day.

Depends on the tour pro and the course truly. I would not collectively say all one way or the other.

True - I forget which announcer said it - it was during the tournament and the new Blue Monster. They were talking about how they removed several bunkers behind one of the greens. The announcer said that it made it easier for amateurs but harder for most pros.

I think it also depends on the sand you are hitting out of. If you aim 2" behind the wet heavy cement that is in most of the bunkers around here at this time of year, good chance the leading edge of your club is going to be hitting the top of the ball at some point. Different shots out of different sand to cover the same distance is definitely a mental block I have had to work around the last few years.

If you aim 2" behind the wet heavy cement that is in most of the bunkers around here at this time of year ...
I had this happen to me two days ago. Found myself in a bunker and my ball was sitting up on top of the sand (it had rolled in and didn't even leave roll marks, the sand was that packed). Since it was a greenside bunker, I grabbed my 60 degree and went for a soft lob onto the green by hitting at the ball. Worked out well, and left only a minor divot in the sand.

I take great pride in my short game in every aspect except bunker shots. Bunker shots are the worst part of my game and I've never seen much improvement even when I spend a decent amount of time practicing in them.

Gettong out the sand is half the battle, controlling the distance, spin and touch is the other half. Play with ball position next you practice as well as face angle. You will add a few more shots to the bag.

During the winter I upgraded to TM ATV wedges, and found an interesting article in Golf Digest about bunker play that has been working absolute wonders for me so far this year. I can clearly say for the first time in my life while golfing, I am 100% NOT afraid of a greenside bunker.

True - I forget which announcer said it - it was during the tournament and the new Blue Monster. They were talking about how they removed several bunkers behind one of the greens. The announcer said that it made it easier for amateurs but harder for most pros.

I would guess it is easier for the tour pro to control the bunker shot vs a chip

Back