Cleveland Smart Sole Wedges

Or in case my playing partners buy them all up but seriously I was just thinking the same thing.

I hate to say it, but these will probably be in the clearance rack soon. We best grab what we can.

Finally got to hit the Smart sole S on the practice hole today. Hit a little too far at first, but started to hit the green from various distances. Even makes range balls do a little dance on the green from full shots. I think sometimes the sole on this club gives me the confidence to hit down sharply on the ball and not be concerned about digging a trench under the ball. I even sent quite a few dollar sized divots flying through the air, don't usually do that. Whatever it is about this club, it is definitely working very well for me.

Finally got to hit the Smart sole S on the practice hole today. Hit a little too far at first, but started to hit the green from various distances. Even makes range balls do a little dance on the green from full shots. I think sometimes the sole on this club gives me the confidence to hit down sharply on the ball and not be concerned about digging a trench under the ball. I even sent quite a few dollar sized divots flying through the air, don't usually do that. Whatever it is about this club, it is definitely working very well for me.

Well done, it's so much fun to have clubs that inspire confidence! I don't usually hit down on lofted wedges like I do with my irons but I will give it a go with the S next time I'm at a grass driving range.

I chipped in with the S today on 18 for birdie. I had just asked my friend who was twice as close as I was if he wanted to do a chipping contest and I proceed to hole out. I'm such a dick!

I used to lay up to 100-110 so I could use my gap wedge but today I was laying up to 70-80 yards and using the S. I no longer fear green side bunkers, now I taunt them. This club has literally changed the game for me.

I almost pitched in twice today with the S....hit the stick once and lipped out the second time

I almost pitched in twice today with the S....hit the stick once and lipped out the second time

Dayuuuummmm! I'm looking forward to hitting the practice chipping area at ChampionsGate wary today for a solid hour of chipping and bunker practice ?⛳

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! You might have to change your handle to MultipleBirdieTim if you keep it up.

Well done, it's so much fun to have clubs that inspire confidence! I don't usually hit down on lofted wedges like I do with my irons but I will give it a go with the S next time I'm at a grass driving range.

I chipped in with the S today on 18 for birdie. I had just asked my friend who was twice as close as I was if he wanted to do a chipping contest and I proceed to hole out. I'm such a dick!

I used to lay up to 100-110 so I could use my gap wedge but today I was laying up to 70-80 yards and using the S. I no longer fear green side bunkers, now I taunt them. This club has literally changed the game for me.

Sounds great man. I haven't sniffed a hole out with the S yet. I'm happy right now just to be hitting the green consistently with full and partial shots, instead of missing short or long. I'm trying to get the feel and confidence with the 58* that I have with the 50*.

I had some good shots with the S out of the sand and around the greens last night. Definitely getting used to it.

Also, hit a good C from 90 yards to about 10 feet.

I'm having better luck with the S around the greens and with tight lies.

The C runs out so much for me that I'm only going to use it (for now) on 60-100 yard shots and just off the fringe with a putting stroke.

Sounds great man. I haven't sniffed a hole out with the S yet. I'm happy right now just to be hitting the green consistently with full and partial shots, instead of missing short or long. I'm trying to get the feel and confidence with the 58* that I have with the 50*.

I think I'm in about the same place as you, trying to consistently hit greens from 10-85 yards from all kinds of lies is what I'm working so hard at, it's why I bought this club. The hole out involved a tremendous amount of luck, for example I missed by a foot or so to the right but that just happened to be the line. I suck at reading putts, you could say I'm completely illiterate at reading greens and you might be right. So if I have anything but a straight line to the cup, it's going to need a miss hit and some luck to find the hole. Sometimes both happen at the same time and that was definitely the case with the hole out on 18.

To further illustrate my point I will admit that on 9 I thinned one right across a green from about 20 yards away. It was a tight lie and slightly downhill towards the green but I thinned that puppy right across that green and splash! So that happened, but who puts a water hazard right next to the green anyway? You understand why I left that incident out of my round summary the other day.

Anyway the other day I mentioned I was going to the range to try some punch shots into the wind with the C. I forgot to mention later that I still don't know how well that works, but I do know that I can hit it 150 if I have the power of a full blown sand storm with me. Maybe I looked ridiculous hitting balls with ski goggles on, maybe I looked awesome!?? Not entirely sure as I was the ONLY one there.

I had some good shots with the S out of the sand and around the greens last night. Definitely getting used to it.

The C runs out so much for me that I'm only going to use it (for now) on 60-100 yard shots and just off the fringe with a putting stroke.

This is exactly what I'm experiencing as well, after a few rounds with it I feel like I would find a Smart Sole C with slightly higher loft more beneficial. I wonder if I can have this thing bent like a normal wedge or iron. Well done on that 90 yard shot with the C! I'm curious did it hop and stop near the divot? Or did it run out a bit? Not knowing the answer to that question is the only reason I've not taken a swing out on course with that thing yet.

I haven't even tried this out of the sand, I've been having such a good time hitting this from various spots on the fairway that I guess I forgot. haha Plus I haven't been in a bunker on the course so far.

I think I'm in about the same place as you, trying to consistently hit greens from 10-85 yards from all kinds of lies is what I'm working so hard at, it's why I bought this club. The hole out involved a tremendous amount of luck, for example I missed by a foot or so to the right but that just happened to be the line. I suck at reading putts, you could say I'm completely illiterate at reading greens and you might be right. So if I have anything but a straight line to the cup, it's going to need a miss hit and some luck to find the hole. Sometimes both happen at the same time and that was definitely the case with the hole out on 18.

To further illustrate my point I will admit that on 9 I thinned one right across a green from about 20 yards away. It was a tight lie and slightly downhill towards the green but I thinned that puppy right across that green and splash! So that happened, but who puts a water hazard right next to the green anyway? You understand why I left that incident out of my round summary the other day.

Anyway the other day I mentioned I was going to the range to try some punch shots into the wind with the C. I forgot to mention later that I still don't know how well that works, but I do know that I can hit it 150 if I have the power of a full blown sand storm with me. Maybe I looked ridiculous hitting balls with ski goggles on, maybe I looked awesome!?? Not entirely sure as I was the ONLY one there.

With a 50* I'm usually on the green somewhere, probably with a longer putt, but at least on. I find it harder with the 58* because I don't quite have the feel for how hard or soft to hit it like I do with the 50*. In past I always just defaulted back to the 50, and I'm determined not to do that this year. If I can get a feel for the 58, I'm thinking it will lead to being closer to the hole on average from mid range pitches.

This is exactly what I'm experiencing as well, after a few rounds with it I feel like I would find a Smart Sole C with slightly higher loft more beneficial. I wonder if I can have this thing bent like a normal wedge or iron. Well done on that 90 yard shot with the C! I'm curious did it hop and stop near the divot? Or did it run out a bit? Not knowing the answer to that question is the only reason I've not taken a swing out on course with that thing yet.

On shots of that length for me, there is definite rollout. But the harder I hit it, the higher the trajectory is for me. So the rollout from 90 yards is less for me than it is for 20 yards. When chipping just off the green, my landing point is about 1/4 the distance to the pin (before taking uphill/downhill into account). For distance shots I usually reverse it, letting it fly 2/3 to 3/4 total distance.

It's still a work in progress. And I have been focusing a lot of practice time on the S lately because I want to get my comfort level with the S up to where the C is right now. But a full swing with the S will go no more than 75y for me, so if I find myself between 80-100y I will de-loft the C a little to get a higher trajectory.

On shots of that length for me, there is definite rollout. But the harder I hit it, the higher the trajectory is for me. So the rollout from 90 yards is less for me than it is for 20 yards. When chipping just off the green, my landing point is about 1/4 the distance to the pin (before taking uphill/downhill into account). For distance shots I usually reverse it, letting it fly 2/3 to 3/4 total distance.
I find this fascinating. I never in a million years would've thought this type of shot was possible with the C. My plan is to spend a ton of time on the range tomorrow (I've got A LOT to work on), but I may hit 1/2 a bucket just with the C wedge to see if this 1/2 or 3/4 swing shot is an option for me.

My C wedge came yesterday. I'm looking forward to taking out to the course this weekend. I'll report my findings on Monday.

Starting to get a feel for the S now. I hit one short today that checked on the fringe, but the rest were pretty solid. I know it saved me at least 3-4 strokes today. It think it is quickly becoming my favorite club.

I put myself in some great positions today due to good ball striking, but cost myself some strokes by blading the S on a couple easy pitches. Dang I hate when that happens!

I am hitting just about all my chips and pitches with the S right now......had at least 2 today that I flew all the way to the cup that hit took one hop and stopped dead withing 3-4 feet.

I am hitting just about all my chips and pitches with the S right now......had at least 2 today that I flew all the way to the cup that hit took one hop and stopped dead withing 3-4 feet.

What ball are you using?

I need to commit to some practice time out of the sand with the S. Today at the demo day, I walked over to the bunker area, and was just very inconsistent with it. The sand was very soft, but it rained last night into today, so it had a bit of a shell on it (if that makes sense). I alternated between hitting balls fat (but out of the bunker) and thinning them over the green. Frustrating for sure, but something I know I need to work on.

Callaway Hex Pro....its basically the old Tour I(s) with a new hex urethane cover

Sounds good, I liked the tour I(s) when I tried them. I really prefer a urethane cover, but have been using "winter" balls due to the continued low temps. I'm sure I'm not doing myself a favor doing that, as far as short game is concerned at least.

They can be found pretty cheaply online...I
Like them so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a chance to try Ole Gray's out on the practice green this weekend. It had me thinking ATV on steroids. If you're someone who struggles to get up and down out of the sand, I'd give this a serious look.

Back