If an 80% swing produces 90% of the distance then.....

T2GRN18

Reaction score
Handicap
I was chatting with a fellow THP'er today. We were talking about inconsistencies with distance when we swing 100 percent.
Obviously it's a control thing with the club head when I get above the "smooth" 75%. My mind knows this, but when I get to the point where I'm feeling good about the swing I naturally want to step on it a little more. That's the point where I get myself into trouble. How do you get it into your head that all you need is smooth 75? Does anyone else struggle with this? What drills are there that help shut down the ego.

I'm hoping my newly purchased Orange Whip solves this problem for me.

I was chatting with a fellow THP'er today. We were talking about inconsistencies with distance when we swing 100 percent.
Obviously it's a control thing with the club head when I get above the "smooth" 75%. My mind knows this, but when I get to the point where I'm feeling good about the swing I naturally want to step on it a little more. That's the point where I get myself into trouble. How do you get it into your head that all you need is smooth 75? Does anyone else struggle with this? What drills are there that help shut down the ego.

I have struggled with this like most people. I have a Momentus swing trainer and an Orange Whip that help me work on tempo and so far so good. It's a process like everything. Just focus on it.

Absolutely struggle. I need to feel like I'm only taking it back to 9 o'clock on a regular swing to get about that 80% target. When I feel like I'm there I'm actually beyond it a little and in the prime position for me.

I just use one thing. There is a saying that is very old and I know you've heard of it. In golf "less is more". I just drill that into my crazy head and it helps. then the ego feels more proud of the discipline and good shot vs the extra distance it desired.

I used to be obsessed with getting the club to parallel on the backswing until my coach showed me my numbers when I did the 80% swing. They were better than my 100% swing. If I'm struggling, I always shorten my backswing just a little bit and it seems to keep my tempo at a great pace.

I struggle with this mightily. I have NO IDEA what an 80% swing is. I have no idea what a 100% swing is. I'm kind of all over the place. I have an orange whip and it does very little for me to ingrain a certain % swing. Do I swing it slower than my driver? Of course, but how much slower? No clue.

I've also been at the range with my SC100 and can see dips in my swing speed, increase in ball speed, and a consistent distance calculated for the two. So I know a smoother swing, with better contact, produces a more consistent ball flight with as-good distance. But getting that from the range with my SC100 to the course during a round...I have been unsuccessful so far.

I have a luggage tag I attached to my bag that says "SWING 85%" in big red letters. I see it every time I pull out a club and it keeps me from getting complacent. I started that swing thought last season and my handicap dropped from 6 to 4.6. I attribute the drop to suddenly hitting the ball consistently on par 3s instead of pulling irons to the left of the green due to over swinging. Now I'll only swing 100% when I want to hit a fade. IMO, slow and smooth is one of the best swing thoughts ever, especially in the wind. Ernie Els is my favorite example of "effortless power".

Last edited:
I struggle with this exact thing and even after making good swings with a smooth tempo it is inevitable that at some point of my round my brain stops working and I start over-swinging again. For me it seems to happen the most with my long irons.
I haven't found any tips/tricks that have ingrained it in my thick head yet.

I's pretty simple for me, the harder I swing the worse I play and I just got tired of playing that way. Distance is a gift that I do not have, I'll most likely will never have it so I'd better be damn accurate to make up for it and that's what I try to work on as often as I can, especially with long irons.

I shot the best round of my life last Tuesday (69) with this one thought. Slow smooth takeaway and swing 80%. This was the first time I was able to achieve it for an entire round. I had to keep telling myself that and rely on previous shots as evidence. Distance will be there. That is the hardest thing to ingrain.

I struggle for sure but find myself doing the opposite. At the range I'll swing away (controlled not wild) and will hit some nice shots. When I get on the course my mind starts working against me and I try to "control" it more and end up not putting a solid swing on the ball.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

This is what I am really working hard on right now.

Smooth swings produce nice high ball flights with baby draws = GOOD
Fast swings produce hooks and pull hooks = BAD

I am really working on trying to take a practice swing, then repeat that motion and just let the ball get in the way of the clubface....when I do it the results are amazing!

I'm not sure what percentage I swing with, I try and swing as hard as I can without swinging out of my shoes. I'm a very short hitter though, so I may be doing it wrong.

This is something I definitely need to work on

I really don't think you guys are swinging 85%, I think you are swinging 100% of what you can control. I struggle with this as well. Its getting out of sync and not swinging 100% but actually trying to swing more than 100% which is not possible. So just swing your swing, but only what you can control. I'm trying to do the same thing.

This is weird for me. I always hear people say stuff like this but I actually think I play better when I swing hard.
Especially with the driver. Every time I try to hit my driver easy, I slice the crap out of it.

Not out of my shoes, but definitely not 75%

With my driver I have always swung at like 60%-75%, it allows me a lot more control and consistency. Yea I lose yardage, but I'd rather have accuracy.

Yeah, this is tricky. I find, for me, that 80% means length of my backswing more than the effort put in. I had been doing 80% effort for much of this spring but found that I lost the power I generate from my lower half. I was playing about 20yds shorter per club and I wasn't happy with that. So a couple range sessions ago, I used the 80% backswing with a full fire of my legs and hips and found my distance came back but I was WAY more accurate. The result has been a much more compact, powerful, and efficient swing that I couldnt be more elated with. Striking the ball better than I ever have at this point. May not be the same for others but it certainly is a revelation me.

It's a viscous cycle for me. I work on my swing a ton, I get comfortable with what I'm seeing for results. Then my brain gets involved, which is never good, and I try to squeak a few more yards out of my iron play. It's feeds into "are we ever content with our game".

When i swing above 80-85% where its going ends up being a best guess i don't have enough control for my taste

i think everyone is putting to much on the percent of swing, rather then an in control swing at whatever percent. when you starting putting numbers on it, you start thinking about it way too much. That is why I just think about a nice controlled swing and bring that right hip through. If i am thinking about too many things it will be a terrible shot and an even worst round.

I very rarely swing at 100%. Usually it's around 85-90% just because I can control the ball flight so much better when I'm not taking giant rips at the ball.

I'm not one to think about it in terms of percentages. I know my good swing is not my max power swing, my good swing is when everything is in rhythm. When I'm feeling it, I try not to get amped up and mess up a good thing. I think the more you know your swing and the more it works for you, the easier it is to stay within yourself and not try to do too much. If I get quick I just visualize Freddy Couples, works like a champ.

Back