Always a handshake and a "thank you for letting us join you" with a group I've never played with or don't know well. For the main group we just get done and head to the clubhouse. Never take my hat off. I just don't understand that part.

I almost always take my hat and shake or fist bump. Shake/Bro hug if its good friends. I don't take my Rx shades off though, because there is a good chance I would miss your hand and might end up shaking something different....:bulgy-eyes: So in the interest of being able to see your hand and saving some embaressment I leave those on.

If I ever needed an excuse for quitting the game of hockey, disgusting, dirty, stinky, awful smelling wet opposition hands in the handshake would have been it.

Disgusting.

As the goalie on a team that didn't have a good defense, I was probably that guy. :embarrassed:

Always a handshake, the hat stays on.

Always a handshake - with the guys I play with we don't worry about "hand hygiene." Most of us are bald so we con't have to worry about running hands through our hair (that is the last place to worry about where someone's hands were during 18 holes of golf)! LOL

I quit taking my hat off. I'm usually carrying extra clubs and a towel. I got tired of fumbling around with stuff and it becoming some kind of one liner joke-a-thon. Taking a hat off just adds one more thing. Plus, there is putting the flag back, getting off the green so the group behind can play. I've talked to a couple of playing pros about this, especially since we see it on Sunday afternoons. Both of them said the guys that take their hat off on 18 are the same guys that leave it on while eating. Those guys are just doing it for the show (TV cameras and fans).

John Wayne and Clint Eastwood didn't take their cowboy hats off, in the Westerns, when they shook hands. The hat comes off when you're indoors, eating, praying, during the national anthem and being introduced to the ladyfolks.

I would be curious if there is old footage showing players from the 40's to 80's doing this...because it seems like a fairly new concept (less than 10 years)????

Look each other in the eyes. Shake hands, fist bump, whatever. Say you enjoyed the round. Move out. Save the bs'ing for the clubhouse or parking lot.

It's a gentlemen's game. gentlemen Shake Hands

We shake hands as we walk off the green, or after we have cleared it if the group behind us is ready to play. Nobody I ever played with takes off their hat or shades. That's something that's come into vogue in the last few years from watching the pros, but really has nothing to do with proper etiquette.

Historically there has been no indication that shaking hands and removing ones hat had any relationship to each other. It has long been considered proper to remove ones hat when entering a house or restaurant, but how many of you who doff for a handshake still leave the hat on while having that burger in the course restaurant?

Since I'm not a pro, I don't worry about it. The pros didn't do it either until fairly recently. I have no idea how or why it became "proper" to take off ones hat shaking hands, but it certainly wasn't part of any form of etiquette when I was growing up.

I'd much rather that a player was considerate and aware of rules and etiquette while on the course, and what he does with his hat after the round is irrelevant.

I don't know about vogue or historical references, but we must live in two different world's because I've always done this and understand it to be proper etiquette. To each their own I suppose.

I don't know about vogue or historical references, but we must live in two different world's because I've always done this and understand it to be proper etiquette. To each their own I suppose.

I grew up with the understanding it was proper as well.

Handshake is a must as well as removal of my hat. I'm good with a fist bump among friends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I always handshake no matter who I playing against. Just seems right. Hat I do most of the time but not always

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Payne Stewart had it right when he said if you can't look the guy in the eyes and shake hands that you had missed the point.

I always take time to take my hat and sunglasses off, shake hands, and thank them for the round.

tapping on my note s3

Payne Stewart had it right when he said if you can't look the guy in the eyes and shake hands that you had missed the point.

I always take time to take my hat and sunglasses off, shake hands, and thank them for the round.

Oh Payne. What a beauty. I firmly agree with his thoughts.

If I play with someone new I always shake hands after the round. However there are 5 guys that I play with 99% of the time and none of us ever shake hands or anything after the round unless we had a small bet on a match. We've been playing together for 10 years so I guess we just don't feel the need after a regular round.

The hat thing I've just started noticing in the past few years. I definitely think it's learned behavior from watching television. Some of you have said you've always done it, but I wonder if it's a regional/generational thing...I'll usually do it now so as not to offend someone, but never thought to do it in the past. Always shake hands, though.

I'm really bad at the handshake thing, most of the times I forget its already the 18th and I am going to pick my bag and ready to go to the next hole, until I realised we are done and I am being impolite.

No disrespect, but I just don't like to take my hat off after a round. I'll look you in the eye and shake your hand. Most of the time I feel like my hair is pretty gross after 18 holes and I'd rather leave that covered up. Picture this
8GVtyfX.jpg
but more sweaty.

After 40 years of playing this game, (yeah I'm still a youngster), I've seen many changes and as Fourputt mentioned taking off the hat is relatively new other than when entering a building. But change is often good and this new trend is one that fits well with my perception of golf and the respect due the game, the course and those you share a beautiful day on the course with. Payne's ideal of looking the other players in the eye is spot on, I like everything about this new to golf etiquette and have converted to it for most rounds I play.

When I'm playing with people I usually play with, I don't handshake. We play with each other all the time. Anytime I'm playing with people I don't normally play with, I always handshake.

As for sweaty hair, I don't believe I've had that happen to me, but now I'm going to be conscious to pay attention if people do that before they shake my hand.

~Rock

Back