2014 #TheKing Was Here - Video & Recap Thread

Great write-ups, Shane and Barry. Reading your write-ups is just another reminder why THP events are so special.

I love reading recap threads! THP events always bring out the best in people and hearing everyone's thoughts makes me smile! Thanks JB for compiling all the pictures from the weekend into the video! I hope to meet the #zoocrew sometime because those guys and gals are fantastic people and really take care of us THPers. Keep the recaps coming everyone!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Getting to Orlando: Trip down with Barry (cpljohnst) and Josh (MillerTime) was a blast! Barry had the 70's music blaring through the speakers and we talked about anything and everything THP. It was a road trip with two awesome guys and I have to give Barry a HUGE thank you for putting myself and Josh up with his hotel points for Wednesday and Thursday night! :clapp: Once we arrived we rested for a short bit by taking a nap. We all passed out and all of sudden this super sonic snoring noise roared through the room. :bulgy-eyes: It sounded like Godzilla had sucked a telephone pole up his nose and couldn't catch his breath. :beat-up: Anyways we headed out to the WalGreens so the snore master could buy some nose strips and us some ear plugs. :D After that we headed over to the ChampionsGate to put in some putting practice. We had a little competition and we ended up even. We left there and went to Chili's for dinner and a frosty beverage or two = four. The road trip hit us and we decided to head on up to bed down for the night. Tons of laughter and fun all the way to Orlando!

Then next day we played a practice round on the International course. Josh (MillerTime) and myself joined AKrobby and his wife tagged along with us. Josh wanted to do a little match play practice so him and I went at it. I held up well with him for a few holes then he went up to a five hole lead and then I trimmed it down to two holes before he added more holes the total and whupped me by five holes out of the 18 played. I knew the way he was striking the ball his opponents were in for a weekend of woodshed visits. The guy has serious game! AKrobby is a really cool laid back guy. He talked like he was from Georgia instead of Alaska so I could understand him most of the time. :D He had to rush out to our tee time and it took him a few holes to get his feet under him but then his golf game picked up as well. Great guy and his wife took the heat and all in like a champ and was fun to be with. Thursday was a fun day!

Friday will be my next post and it will come tomorrow.

Gotta tell you all that reading these recaps is as much fun as following along was. You ALL killed it as dir THP and Callaway. I would love to see this return as it would be on my MUST DO bucket list.

JM

Good stuff OG! Had me laughing with the snoring story :D I like the day to day installments.

Some great recaps fellas.

Barry- You sir are a gentleman in every sense of the word. It's a true honor to have been on your team.

Shane- Dude, you crack me up. Perhaps one of the most energetic and entertaining people I have ever shared a round with. I enjoyed that round with you more than I can put in to words, and look forward to teeing it up with you again.

Barry- You sir are a gentleman in every sense of the word. It's a true honor to have been on your team.

Shane- Dude, you crack me up. Perhaps one of the most energetic and entertaining people I have ever shared a round with. I enjoyed that round with you more than I can put in to words, and look forward to teeing it up with you again.

That is a 2 way street, I really enjoyed Saturday afternoon as well, it was great to finally play a round with you.
Since I got I have thought about 2 things, apex irons and getting a mountain bike, i will shoot you a PM when I am ready to pull the trigger on a bike :)

Home safe and enjoyed dinner with my wife. 15 hours of travel, and every minute was worth it. I wore the crown as I went through customs. Winning!

Recaps to come!

Well that just looked awesome.

Shoot Ryan, those are really kind words. I appreciate it my man. I feel the same way. We've got to get a round together for sure one of these days!

Love seeing that Panda Finish.

Works just fine for me. Lotta nice swings in there!

JM

Great recaps so far. I just spent the entire day in Universal Studios, so my brain is not functioning at optimum levels right now. Barry, the Despicable Me ride was awesome, just like you recommended. Tomorrow we are taking it slow. A whole day in an amusement park after 90 holes of golf in 4 days. Tomorrow will be a relaxing vacation type day. Will get some recap writing done for sure.

THP #theking #imwithchad

Awesome recaps gents!
Love hearing of the good times!

Just caught up on this whole thread, and WOW awesome recaps so far by Shane, Barry, and Bill! I am still putting my thoughts together for a likely very long recap, but the short of it is I just met one hell of a group of guys, and I made a number of great friends this weekend. I didn't have my best stuff, but I was proud of being able to muscle out a solid number of points, and in all honesty how I played didn't matter all that much because everyone was just so awesome.

Like I said, full recap to come folks!

#TheKing started early for me as I wanted to get in some practice rounds and I had quite a ways to travel so after an early dinner on Wednesday night I loaded up the car and started out for Skibum's (Ryan's) place. When I got there his girlfriend's parents were over and they were still eating so I just sat down at the table with them and we talked about this that and everything. What a nice family! So welcoming and so friendly. Off to Seattle Airport after that where Ryan and I started the competition early for who could get the best seat on the plane for our red eye haha. Again, victory to team Harry.
Ryan is a solid guy and anyone would get along with him instantly. We have no trouble talking about anything in life from our women to golf to work to cars and everything in between. He is and will be a friend for a long time.

When we arrived in Orlando and finally got the heck out of the airport with the rental car we began the trek down toll toll toll highway to the Omni. We were running a bit behind and had a practice round scheduled so we went straight to the course where we finally saw it. The heavens parted, birds were singing, and an aura of awesome was hovering over the THP Tour Van.
We Were Here!

Our euphoria washed away as quickly as it came when we opened the car door. Oh my goodness was it freaking hot! Still in my long sleeve shirt and jeans I thought I might just pass out right then and there. We don't deal with that furnace where I come from. I knew right then and there that hydration and sunscreen were going to be more important than my clubs for the duration of the weekend. We stripped down in the parking lot (don't worry, nobody knew we were THP at this point haha) and changed into our golf clothes and muscled our clubs out of the travel bags and went straight to the range. 3 swings later I needed water in a bad way. After coming in on a red-eye and really having minimal amounts of food and water on the way in we were drained but I think excitement and adrenaline carried us though.

We were kind of mucking around looking a bit lost when we saw JB and right from the get go this guy was welcoming and made us feel comfortable. First thing he did was open up the Tour Van and give me some snacks he had laying around, and I'm sure he would have given the shirt off his back had we needed it. Within the next half an hour guys starting rolling in onto the range and we met a bunch of awesome THPers and set out on our practice round. It's really cool to meet guys that you have interacted with on this forum and finally put a face, an accent, and a personality to the forum name.

Much more to come!

I want to start by thanking both THP and Callaway for putting together such an amazing event. It was by far the best golf weekend of my life and one I'll never forget. Great people at a great venue playing the greatest game in the world. Being a last minute addition, I wasn't sure what to expect. Everyone made me feel like I'd been a part of this all along and I thank them for that. Everyone there seemed to share the excitement and anticipation at the weekend that was to come and I know all of our expectations were blown away. Here's part 1 of my recap.

Practice Rounds/Captain's Meeting

The practice rounds Thursday and Friday were two completely different tests. Thursday, we were trying not to burn up, Friday we were battling the fog. On Thursday, OG and I had a round with AKRobby. He had literally just gotten to the course and drove up to the first tee after getting off of the plan from ALASKA! There's no way I could've made that trek and walked right up to the first tee box. We all battled with the International course, each having our own good shots, but man that course kicked our butts. It was great meeting AKRobby and his wife, who was a trooper in watching us hack the ball around the course on a hot day.

Friday morning, I was grouped with Tadashi70, Buckjob and War Eagle. I've played with Freddie before, so I knew what to expect from him, but it was my first time teeing it up with Buck and Ryan. I knew I could possibly match up against them during the competition, so I did a little scouting. I had a lot of people tell me I'm long off the tee, but damn, Buck can poke it out there consistently farther than me and his season hasn't even started yet! Dude has one of the sickest looking putters I've ever seen and he rolls it well. This was my 2nd time meeting Ryan and the first time I'd teed it up with him. We didn't know it at the time, but we'd be matched against one another in the Saturday AM round. Oh and I think Ryan learned the hard way to knock before opening a bathroom door. (Poor Buck) I'll talk more about Ryan in my competition recap. This was a fun and entertaining grouping and we all have really solid games, so the pace was great and the banter was even better. Thanks for letting me tag along, fellas.

After getting a nap in following a 6:50AM tee time, Ray (TeedUpThoughts) arrived and we chatted it up for a few minutes before headed up to the suite for the Captain's meeting. We were like kids anticipating Christmas morning talking about what we might experience this weekend. When I finally headed up to the suite, it smelled amazing. BBQ, mac and cheese, baked beans and bread pudding. Good lord, the bread pudding. The food was amazing. We only had an hour to put our teams together and after getting our new Berthas, shirts and awesome phone cases and coins, we went to work. I found out I'd be teaming up with none other than Hashtag himself in the morning. That's the first time I felt any pressure for the weekend. I really wanted to play well when teaming up with the captain. And then I found out I'd be teaming with Freddie in the afternoon! I knew we were going to kick some Team Harry butt. Then the other team came up and we put the match ups together. I found out I'd be going at it with Sparksjr for 36 on Saturday, War Eagle Saturday AM and Finley in the PM. I knew we were in for a battle.

The view from the suite was awesome, the food/drinks were amazing, but the fun was really had in the banter and fellowship that was going on in that room. We were in for the weekend of a lifetime, and I couldn't have hand-picked a better group of guys to experience it with.

Saturday recap next.

Last edited:
Back