Callaway Big Bertha Driver Review

This driver is the real deal. Saturday I played the 10.5 set to Draw with the weight set I think between the 1 and 2 on the draw side, and I was hitting it very well. Jesse and I were hammering it all morning, but we both were letting some get away from us when we swung too hard. Sunday, I set it +1 degree, still on the draw setting, and I slid the weight a little further towards the draw end, and I was finding a lot of fairways a long way down most of the day. The club obviously can't fix a bad swing (ask me about my tee shot on 1 Saturday morning, or a couple of the dead pulls I hit) but I was able to hit tight little fades with the settings I had Sunday. I'll need to spend some more time with her to really dial it in. I think lofting up 1 more degree will help me out.

As War Eagle said during our round Saturday afternoon, it sure is nice aiming down the center of the fairway off of the tee.

This driver is the real deal. Saturday I played the 10.5 set to Draw with the weight set I think between the 1 and 2 on the draw side, and I was hitting it very well. Jesse and I were hammering it all morning, but we both were letting some get away from us when we swung too hard. Sunday, I set it +1 degree, still on the draw setting, and I slid the weight a little further towards the draw end, and I was finding a lot of fairways a long way down most of the day. The club obviously can't fix a bad swing (ask me about my tee shot on 1 Saturday morning, or a couple of the dead pulls I hit) but I was able to hit tight little fades with the settings I had Sunday. I'll need to spend some more time with her to really dial it in. I think lofting up 1 more degree will help me out.

As War Eagle said during our round Saturday afternoon, it sure is nice aiming down the center of the fairway off of the tee.

You were hitting this driver really well partner! Smashing the heck out of so many drives.:thumb:

I hear he's taking her out to Dairy Queen for a blizzard today.. seemed to work well for him last time! Hope Kelly doesn't get too jealous! Bertha's a keeper! :alien:

Heck -- Kelly will probably try to snag it from Bill.

This thing is bonkers!! I got the 13.5 with the stock stiff shaft and haven't changes any settings at all. JB mentioned on 18 the second round Saturday that this has transformed my game by keeping the ball in play and in front of me. 100% accurate. And it is loong, I can't wait to get her on my home course to see how my game looks from the fairways.

Kindle Fire Talkin'

This thing is bonkers!! I got the 13.5 with the stock stiff shaft and haven't changes any settings at all. JB mentioned on 18 the second round Saturday that this has transformed my game by keeping the ball in play and in front of me. 100% accurate. And it is loong, I can't wait to get her on my home course to see how my game looks from the fairways.

Kindle Fire Talkin'

What kind of distance gain you guessing u saw?

Kindle Fire Talkin'

They have a 13.5 degree driver?

Kindle Fire Talkin'

Wow 13.5* thats awesome! Did you get some roll out or its all carry? I've cranked mine up to 11* but in these fairways it either plugs or spins back upon landing.

A bit of feedback on this driver. I bought the 9 degree version, btw. First, it is a great looking club but we all know that. It sounds great too. Not a fan of metal sounding woods, and this one was much nicer sounding then the others I tried. As far as distance goes, wow. Just wow. I seriously launched almost every shot at the range, and they were 95% heel hits. With the stiff shaft I had a fade, and every shot sort of went in the same spot. I do have to sort out some swing issues, and finally hit the sweet spot, but I am pumped to play 18 with the girl. I was probably hitting 230 off the heel. I didn't even notice!?!

She was pricey, but all beauties are. I do feel I got great value, and that's what matters to me.

Three rounds in with the Big Bertha down in Orlando this weekend for #theking. I was really impressed with this driver. I didn't touch it from the neutral settings of 10.5 degree loft and face settings. I hit several really good drives, and a few poor ones. I tend to think the poor ones were from the pressure of the setting - match play competition. My initial impressions are that this is a forgiving driver. I'm not sure if its a longer driver than the SLDR I've been playing. I'm looking forward to playing with Bertha on my home course over the next several weeks to see how distances and accuracy compare to what I'm used to seeing.

I don't struggle with a slice so I doubt I'll have to move the settings to "draw". I'll likely test the loft in a higher direction up to 11.5 degrees to see how that works out for me. I'll post my findings here.

Bio Cell out, Big Bertha in. And I loved the Bio Cell.

This driver is fantastic. So nice to look at, I love the options of adjustability, and the sliding weight around the perimeter really works!

This driver is fantastic. So nice to look at, I love the options of adjustability, and the sliding weight around the perimeter really works!

See! The weight does work! Nice to see people realizing/believing that now!

QFT. You were hitting some fantastic high draws with this club on Sunday. A huge change from Friday with the Bio Cell.

Reading reviews from The King participants has me very excited. BB is changing the game for so many!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

What kind of distance gain you guessing u saw?

I'd say a good 20yds or so on great hits, and didn't lose as much on off-hits.

They have a 13.5 degree driver?

Yes, it's awesome! Can go down to 12.5 and up to 15.5 as well

Yep! 13.5, I really want to hit it down the road.

If we are ever in the same place, you are more than welcome to!

Wow 13.5* thats awesome! Did you get some roll out or its all carry? I've cranked mine up to 11* but in these fairways it either plugs or spins back upon landing.

Mainly carry. I drove the green (twice) on the 17th of the National course at Championsgate this past weekend (roughly 240-250 carry over the bunker, and both times it was within 15-20ft of the pitch mark (with SR2 ball).

I'd say a good 20yds or so on great hits, and didn't lose as much on off-hits.

Yes, it's awesome! Can go down to 12.5 and up to 15.5 as well

If we are ever in the same place, you are more than welcome to!

Mainly carry. I drove the green (twice) on the 17th of the National course at Championsgate this past weekend (roughly 240-250 carry over the bunker, and both times it was within 15-20ft of the pitch mark (with SR2 ball).

20 yards?? holy carp thats awesome

Dude that took some stones to go for that shot. I stayed away from it both days. So glad this is transforming your game.

So happy for you, Ray. I knew that the higher loft would be clutch for you

I can barely begin to describe my new found love for Bertha. I was gaming an AMP cell Masters edition (Whiteboard Stiff shaft) and while that was a great club, Bertha embarrassed it this weekend. I had the AMP maxed out at 11.5 and when connected well would hit some really solid shots, however, when I missed ever so slightly it would power fade or duck hook and I would scramble off the tee adding 1-2 shots per hole. The biggest difference for me was that with the setup I got in Bertha (13.5, Neutral, Stock settings, stiff shaft) I got a higher yet penetrating ball flight that was accurate, deep, and in the fairway or first cut 60-70% of the time rather than 30-50%.

As JB put it after remembering my first shot in the CT invitational last year (and sadly my tee ball on Sunday in #TheKing), this driver keeps me in the hole off the tee and keeps the ball ahead of me rather than chasing it all over the course (or OB) and costing me strokes. I currently play to a 17.6 handicap, yet am good at putting, right around the greens, and decent on the second shot, so my tee game was putting me out of the hole before I could even get near the flag. Hence some of the comments of me "trending from 17 to single digits."

I missed my PB by 2 strokes (and that was because of a mental mistake on the 36th hole of the day costing me 2 strokes by putting a ball in the water on my approach) in my second round using Bertha. I am confident that this was the missing piece on shooting some really solid golf scores this year and beyond. I'll continue to update as the spring and summer progress.

5/7 FIRs today in -1 Neutral 2 Draw weight setting. My best drive and shot of the round came on the last hole with a 273 yd drive. That's long for me and it felt great. I probably should have used this driver on a few more holes but hey the little sister bertha 3W needs some lovin' too. #BerthaLong

Played a round with one of my golfing buddies at work. He has a solid driver game and uses the 2012 Amp, and is a much better golfer than myself in almost every aspect. He would always out-drive me and jokingly poke fun (he is a good dude, I didn't mind it...we are always talking crap to each other).

However, this round was his first round against the BB. I am seeing massive distance gains with the BB and black tie vs my previous amp cell. He wasn't prepared for it.

First drive, I couldn't have asked for a better shot. Just crushed down the middle. We drive up in the cart and two balls in the center cut, ~20 yds apart. He automatically drives up to the closer, shorter-hit ball and stops the cart and waits. He looks at me as I didn't get out... "aren't you going to hit?" .....my response, with a huge grin..."not my ball, dude."

He checks the ball, and the look on his face was priceless as he realized the ball 20 yds further up the fairway was mine. I laughed and enjoyed every minute of it. The rest of the round, I out-drove him on all holes but one. "guess I need a new driver" he mumbles at the 19th.

Truly amazing how this driver is transforming peoples games!

I'm honestly not surprised at all, it really is as good as advertised, I still believe that.

Back