Does a painted golf cup rim matter?

Baldcopper

Reaction score
Handicap
Day to day
Just curious if this matters at all. My home club just started painting the rims of the cups this season and I'm quite happy. Not only from a visibility standpoint, but I think it looks more "professional". Sometimes it's the little things I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you talking about the dirt that is above the actual cup? Ours doesn't do it. Can't say I've noticed or remember if anywhere else does it.

Are you talking about the dirt that is above the actual cup? Ours doesn't do it. Can't say I've noticed or remember if anywhere else does it.

Yea, the dirt above.

All I have even seen is the cup itself painted white which I think looks good.

Makes a little difference, I noticed with the courses I've played with this done you an see some of the subtle breaks right around the hole. Other than that not much difference. A long as the hole is cut straight I'm good with either way.

for me it shows the Superintendent pays attention to the details, it helps with visibility and its a more professional look

I have honestly never played a course with the paint. I don't know if it is just a time saving thing or what, but I would imagine it would help with visibility.

Does it matter? Not really. Does look a heck of a lot nicer.

on long puts I think it helps out but it really doesn't matter in the end.

Does a painted golf cup rim matter?

I believe the trend started with televised tournaments do it for TV. Then just like some of us amateurs copy the pros, the courses followed suit as well, copying the professional courses.

The PGA started doing it for t.v. Purposes maybe 7 to 10 years ago. It just helps the viewer see the cup much better. There is no practical use for it other than a nice look.

I'm a fan of it. Haven't noticed playing better when it's done though.

One of my local courses just started doing this. I kind of like it. Definitely gives a more professional feel to a round.

I do think it looks better and I think it makes it easier to see the cup on long putts....wish my local course did it.

I played Sunday at a course were due to the greens being a little brown it was difficult to see the cup sometimes on mid to longer putts. Wish local courses would take the time to do it.

Just curious if this matters at all. My home club just started painting the rims of the cups this season and I'm quite happy. Not only from a visibility standpoint, but I think it looks more "professional". Sometimes it's the little things I guess.

There are two ways of doing this. One is to paint it (which my course does for tournaments) and another is this plastic looking rim you can place in there (which I presume helps to stop the hole from caving in due to foolish golfers.

I love the painted ones, and hate the plastic rimmed ones.

It doesn't really matter to me, but I agree with Dan on the plastic rims.

Hell I'd take properly cut hole at my home course if I could get it. Ok maybe I'm exaggerating a tiny bit, but I have seen my fair share of gross cups on my course. I have played in tournaments and at course that do paint the dirt, it does give the cup a nice professional look to it.

i like the look, but the paint does get on your hands sometimes. No biggie either way to me. Having a level cup is far more important, IMO. Sadly it seems to be rare.

The PGA started doing it for t.v. Purposes maybe 7 to 10 years ago. It just helps the viewer see the cup much better. There is no practical use for it other than a nice look.

pretty sure they have been doing it longer than that, I worked at a course over 20 years ago and they were doing it everyday

None of my local courses do it, but I have played a few elsewhere that do. I like it a lot. To me it makes the hole to appear a little larger.

Yes the hole appears larger to me too. But I haven't played many places where they do it...

I've never seen this before. What should I google to see this? I typed "painted golf rim" but all I got were VW's!

Last edited:
Back