2014 #TheKing Was Here - Video & Recap Thread

RECAP PART ONE: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...Recap-Thread&p=2993671&viewfull=1#post2993671

Part 2: Team Meeting and Saturday Rounds

Jesse and I walked into Chad's suite, and JB, Scotty, and Hashtag were right there to greet us. Boy are those Callaway guys class acts - just immediately super easy to talk to, and put us at ease. The rest of the guys then rolled in, and we got to business. Quick as a flash, we had our shiny new Berthas, Callaway golf polos, Callaway April crown coins, and our box of Speed Regime golf balls. Then to the BBQ - OH THE BBQ. There must be 4 rivers in heaven, because this BBQ was out of the mortal coil good, especially the brisket and bread pudding. Mmm mmm MMM!!! After everyone was stuffed near the point of detonation, we got our team choices for Saturday up on paper - I would be paired with my boy Rob (Akrobby) in the morning, and my roommate Jesse (JJmorris) in the afternoon. Then the enemy came down to our suite and, after a few classic Harry Arnett dirty one liners, we found out who our competition would be - I'd be playing Curt (ArmyGolf) and Shane (sposey) in the morning Modified Pinehurst, and Buck and Bret (golf4life) in the afternoon Best Ball. After some more chat, beer, and some late night putting practice where I got to roll a bunch of different flatsticks, Jesse and I were back to the room to get some shut eye for the next day's action.

The match against Curt and Shane in the morning was a trip into the meat grinder, because these guys flat out SHOWED UP in the morning. Playing off each other beautifully, never seeming to miss a shot at the same time - it was about as perfect an alternate shot pairing as there could be. These guys cruised to shoot a magnificent even par front nine leading to an eventual 75 (+3), a solid 8 strokes below their combined cap. Pretty insane, and it was incredible to watch. Robby and I did our best to eke out points on the rare occasions that they gave us the opportunity, and even in those cases had to make some incredible shots and par/bogey saves to do it. We got smoked, but it couldn't have happened to nicer guys. Shane and Curt, being the insanely classy guys that they are, handled it with grace and only encouraged us, never rubbing it in our faces. Model citizens, those two.

After a quick lunch that ended up being covered by Callaway (thanks dudes!!) and a few balls at the range, we got moving for our afternoon Best Ball round on the National, where I'd be playing with Jesse against Buck and Bret. At this point in my recap, I haven't said anything about Buck...well, Buck is just a character, that's for sure. Started off pounding on the handicapping system, and pretty much b!tched the whole time about something or the other. But you know what? He was still a blast to play with, because under all that sarcasm and negativity lies one of the nicest dudes you will ever meet - oh, and a hell of a ballstriker and a longknocker, despite some issues during that round. Not to mention he's from the Philly area, so he can't be a bad guy :D Anyway, to the match itself. I started off not playing well, but luckily my boy Jesse was up to the challenge, winning some holes on some excellent iron play and putting. Then Jesse's game left him for a few holes, and luckily mine showed its face for the last time on this day. I was able to scrounge together some good holes, mostly on the strength of my pitching and chipping, to keep us in the game. Then mine waved bye bye on about hole 14 and Jesse's game returned with a vengeance. The match ended up 1 down to Buck and Bret, who were also playing some solid ham and egg style golf throughout the match. A well fought match, although Jesse I hope your back isn't still hurting from carrying me at the end there!!

Afterwards, we retired to the Championsgate bar for a few drinks, some well deserved cooling off, and the choosing of the next day's opponents, where I found out I'd be taking on Ryan/War Eagle on the National in singles. An 8:00 dinner time was set at David's Club, and we had some time before that, so Jesse, Alek, and I decided to take a quick decompression trip down to the lazy river where we randomly saw none other than Hashtag and Scotty doing the same thing! So we had some drinks and shot the sh!t together whilst floating around and looking at some fine scenery until dinner. Just a blast. After cleaning up a bit, I ended up sitting with the same folks plus JimmyG and (later) Curt at dinner. Talked about a ton of stuff with Scotty, from skiing to the West Coast (he's also originally from the east) and everything in between. Scotty is a quieter guy than Hashtag, but a great dude to have a conversation with and definitely a class act. After some great food, great conversation, and finding out about Paige Ocktober from Hashtag (thank you), we retired for the evening, except for we tried to hit the hot tub late night. Too bad it was closed, which is lame - everyone knows hot tubs are best at night. Hopefully you've gotten over the disappointment by now Jesse hahaha

And my next post will cover Sunday!

I'm sitting in a laundry room in a hotel in Orlando, figured this would be a good time to write. I'm going to go chronologically for a few installments and then give some shout out in a final one. Such an awesome 4 days that I spent with everyone involved with #theking. That was one of the funniest times ever, and I don't think I stopped smiling the entire time. Well, maybe on Thursday, but I will get to that.

My journey started on Wednesday. Woke up at around 6:00am Alaska time (10:00am eastern). Worked all day. Wanted to leave early, and I did, about 10 minutes early. Woohoo. Then it was off to Florida. We left Anchorage at 9:50 PM (1:50 EST). Slept between Anchorage and Minneapolis. Of course airplane sleep is to real sleep like chicken of the sea is to sashimi. After an hour or so in Minn. it was on to Another 3 hour flight (I'm going somewhere with all this, really) with my body twisted in many different ways, trying to get comfortable. Finally landed in the big O (not sure they really call it that),, stepped off the plane and felt a blast of something....hot. Dang, it's humid here, I'm already sweating. As I was getting my self situated after the flight, I saw a familiar face walk off the plane. Ryan (Skibumgolfer) exited the plane. Ryan and I played a soggy wet round in Washington as a prep round for #theking. We then waited on Armygolf, to get off the plane. He was in the very last row. After some introductions we proceeded to the baggage claim area. Both Ryan and Curtis are some seriously cool cats. Can't wait to make it back down to the PNW and tee it up with them again. They only had golf bags, so they had no issues with luggage, as their, and my golf bag was in the oversize area. They took off, and we proceeded to wait for the rest of our bags. And wait, and wait, and wait some more. Saw other folks from our plane waiting as well. Concern started to creep in. It's hot, and I'm in jeans, not good golfing attire in 90+ deg weather. I inquired in the luggage office, and they had the carousel marked wrong. I had a practice round time that was creeping up and I wanted to hit a ball or two before I teed off. As I retrieved our bags, I heard an announcement...."if you were on flight 1282 from Minneapolis, your bags on carousel 32". Oops. It was like a salmon swimming upstream as around a hundred folks switched baggage carousels.

Bags in hand, off to the rental car place. Tick, tick, tick, practice round. That took a while. Got it, off to the hotel, a half hour away....tick. Check in, quick shower, change, grab my clubs, off to the course on the good old golf cart shuttle. Check in at the desk. Grab a cart. My wife decided to join me as a rider, so that was cool. Grabbed a bucket of balls, and headed to the range. No one there. I had about 10 minutes before tee time, so I called Old Grey, to find out where he was. On the first tee, head on over. OK, this will be interesting. Got to the first tee and finally met OG, one of the coolest, sweetest, gentlemanly (is that even a word?) guys I have ever met. I also met Miller Time, who is another cool, southern gentleman. It was time to tee off. 2:30pm eastern time, 10:30am Alaska time, and 28 hours since I had had any thing resembling real sleep. No problem, first tee shot, went about 50' right and in the water. No problem, hit a second one, just getting warmed up. Second shot didn't go in the water, it was topped and went about 15'. Oh boy. I was as limber as rebar for that entire round. This was supposed to be an introduction to the course, to get us ready for competing. I was so sleep deprived, I seriously don't remember much from the round at all. I just remember my neck hurt, my back hurt, and oh yeah, I basically forgot how to play golf at all. There were some good things in that round. It was the first time my wife has joined me on a round, which was cool. And OG and MillerTime were very encouraging round partners. I finally loosened up a tiny bit on the back nine, but I'm sure for a while they both wondered if I was supposed to be playing a different sport all together.

We met some of the other guys after the round, and all decided to meet at the sports bar in the Omni that evening. Met JB, War Eagle, Freddie, and some of the other guys who came in that day. At this point we were approaching 36 hours with no sleep, so that night is a little foggy. I sat and talked with JB for a while, and he is just a great guy. This event shows that THP is the ultimate golf website. JB is the glue that holds it all together. He knows how to have fun, make others feel at home, also knows how to make a decision and get stuff done. I wish Golfer Gal could have made it, to get to meet the the other half of this dynamic golf powerhouse couple, but it will have to wait for the next event. It's also the end of my first, rambling, introduction to a recap. I will write more tomorrow, as we are still in the middle of our vacation.

THP #theking #imwithchad

Just caught up on all the recaps, and they are awesome. It's very late, and I have to get up in afew hours, but reading all these brings back so many good memories, can't wait to keep reliving these days through this thread.

THP #theking #imwithchad

I'm trying to remember what JB said after I broke the glass at David's Club...something about the metric system haha? I felt so damn bad watching the waitress clean it up but she wouldn't let me help!

I'm trying to remember what JB said after I broke the glass at David's Club...something about the metric system haha? I felt so damn bad watching the waitress clean it up but she wouldn't let me help!

Always one in the crowd...HAHA.

It was an absolute pleasure to meet you Army. Your quote I put in my recap at the beginning meant a lot to me. Its what our events stand for.

Loving all the recaps everyone. Curtis, thank you for the kind words my friend. You are a true Canadian! I'll get another recap up this evening.

Saturday Rounds

#TheKing was here. I was up super early out of pure anxiety/excitement over the day that we all were about to experience. We headed out to the course early as well, but the slow service caused us to rush out to the tee only to find we had to rush to the 1st tee. Brand new driver, hitting it for the first time on the first tee of the first real competition I've ever been in. No pressure, right?

Hashtag and I were up against War Eagle and sparksjr. We were getting #sixeffingstrokes according to Ryan (he repeated on almost every shot, so I'll never forget it) and the round got off to an interesting start. I pulled my drive left OB and luckily Chad put his in the left rough, leaving about 160 yards in, but an awkward lie up against a hill. I hit an 8 and shanked it right. I honestly don't remember the last time I hozzled one. I was pissed, embarrassed, but Chad picked me up. We received a drop out of standing water and he sticks it to 7 feet. So here I am, OB drive, shanked 2nd shot standing over a 7 foot, downhiller. Chad helped with the read and I put a good stroke on it and buried it. So I left the first feeling better.

Walk up to 2 tee, and we're staring at 163 yards to a back pin into the wind. We're up first, so I pull 7 and hit the draw I've been working so damn hard on all year and stick it to 4 feet. That was the first sandbagger comment of the day (and it dang sure wasn't the last :alien:). That front 9 was a battle with Ryan/Rancey drilling clutch putts and Chad and I playing pretty well, but not really able to win many holes. I wasn't hitting the BB great to start off with so heading to the 7th, I decided to increase the loft from 10.5 to 12.5. The next hole was a straight away par-4 that had a cart path cross just in front of the water guarding the green. GPS said it was 290 to the cart path. This was the first drive I absolutely smoked with the Bertha and we were 3 feet from the cart path in the right-center of the fairway. The rest of the day I think I might have missed two drives. The Bertha was a beast. I played my best golf when we received pops and on 18, with the par-5s playing from the whites, we were looking at a pretty reachable par-5. Chad hit the fairway, so I decided to step on one. I absolutely killed it. Small fade and it rode the wind way down there. Chad had a 9-iron into the green. The cart said the drive was 330. Longest drive of my life. The #BerthaLong is no joke.

I've followed Chad on Twitter for awhile, but was really looking forward to teeing it up with him. He's a great guy. We're about the same age and we found out his wife and I have the same Master's degree. And his game is solid. He came up clutch when I didn't hit a great shot and helped us pull out the win. I've talked Auburn/Braves with Ryan before and he's one of the best guys you'll meet. We've already talked about a rematch, but I don't think we've talked about how many strokes he's going to give me. I'm sure we'll figure it out! sparksjr, another Braves fan, can bomb the Bertha. I think he had it at 8* and was absolutely launching it up in the air with some great distance and he rolled the putter like a pro. The ones he didn't make always looked like they had a chance. I found out he'd be in my neck of the woods around Memorial Day so we're going to try and get a round in then. Looking forward to it. This was a great group to play with. Laid back, but we all wanted to win. It was a blast.

After lunch (thanks Callaway!), it was time to team up with Freddie and take on sparksjr (again!) and Finley. After the Freddie/Finley matchup in the morning, I really wanted to play my best golf and help Freddie beat Finley. I was bombing the driver again and hit some solid shots and even made a putt (shocker). You could tell Freddie's hip was giving him trouble but he battled and played some great golf to help us pull out the win. Finley has a beautiful swing and can jump on one when he needs to. You could tell the travel and 36 holes was getting to him coming home, but he still had a great sense of humor and he was a joy to tee it up with. Rancey and I aren't small guys by any means and the heat started getting to us by the end of the day. It was a blast, but man was it hot. I think we all were ready for that round to end, even though it was a lot of fun.

I got to play golf with some guys that had great games, but even better personalities. Freddie, Ryan and Rancey are all great ambassadors for THP and Finley/Chad both had me wanting to give my equipment business to Callaway without even making a sales pitch. I saw some tired golfers when we got to the bar, but once we found out the scores and the matchups (I really wanted to get WE in singles), we were pumped for Sunday.

I found out I'd be playing Shane (sposey) and heard he had a really good day 1 as well. I knew I was in for a battle, but man I didn't know it would be as pressure-packed (and as fun) as it was. Sunday's recap to come.

Great recap, Josh.

And, as far as strokes go on the rematch... 0

Spoiler
Seriously.. 0, None, Zip, Nada.

Great recap MT. Amazing what that extra loft will do. I only got up to 11.5, but I will be dialing it up to 12.5 this weekend to see what happens.

Great recap MT. Amazing what that extra loft will do. I only got up to 11.5, but I will be dialing it up to 12.5 this weekend to see what happens.

I'm anxious to see how it performs on Saturday in my next round, but I'm extremely confident with driver in hand right now. Bertha is for real and she is Big.

Just back from vacation and catching up.

Great video for a great event with great people. Thanks again JB!

Random thoughts:

Orlando is freak'n hot and I live there

4Rivers stands up to any BBQ in the country

Five miles of walking to help setup Captains suites

Crown Maple is top 5 drinks after past weekend

Harry takes his golf seriously like all of us

JB made everyone feel like royalty

Millertime and TUT have serious game and I hope this weekend pushes them into another realm

Olegray can pound some beer, quietly

Chad is a country boy to the core

Finely has a ton of game and a pretty flawless swing.

Alek likes to refer to himself in the 3rd person

Akrobbie's wife is a now hunter and fisherwoman

Armygolf may still have heat stroke

Beag's got to see Buck drop the Cosby kids off at the pool

Shane is one of the nicest guys I know

Jimmy G has a voice and face for the big screen

TheKing, surpassed it's billing

I've never liked losing but to those guys after the way we played against them was very easy to deal with. These were two great teams that poured it out for all to see.

Voice and a face for the big screen? Huh? LOL

Will say my man, you're one of the best dudes I've ever met. Hope we cross again my man.

PS... just died laughing about Alek and the 3rd person. "CC out drove you all day!"

Sunday: We had a great fousome with cpljohnst, MillerTime, & sposey. It was fun watching Josh & Shane slugging it out. Each guy was giving it their all and fighting the pressures of singles match play. MT told me he had never been so nervous on a golf course but excited at the same time. Adrenaline was certainly pumping through the veins in our foursome. It was an awesome battle between MT and Shane with the momentum going back and forth then coming down to the last hole for the battle to be settled. Fantastic match to say the least.

My match with Barry had less suspense. I hung with him for the first four holes and then fumbled the ball for the next several holes to go five down. It bounced back to two down and I thought this could get really interesting. Barry was basically out of the next hole when he made a tricky down hill eight foot putt to change the momentum to back in his favor. I did win the next hole which was a longish par five but I could tell that blow/putt was still in my mind. It was the turning point in my mind for the match. The wind had left my sails even after the win on the 15th par five. The next hole was the quirky one over the marshland to the par 3 green where I snapped my tee shot into the woods. Barry hit a beautiful approach shot on the green which put him three up with two to go. He won 17 and I won 18 to finished the round. Barry is a really strong golfer with all the shots in his bag. The one shot that stands in my mind was the long par five hole uphill where he hit a 3 wood on his approach shot and was putting for Eagle! Awesome fairway wood approach shot that was beautiful in every respect. The man has serious game and is a gentleman to boot. He could tell I was down on myself after going five down. We were waiting on a par three tee box for the group ahead to finish and he came over and gave me a pep talk. That's pure class from a fellow competitor.

After we finished our round we drove back and loaded up the van then returned to the awards ceremony. It was tough losing but I was happy for Team Harry. This event capped off one of my bucket lists items for THP. I want to thank JB, Morgan, and the THP family for the support we all received. JB bought our lunch Thursday after us early birds to the event came off the putting practice area. I remember many times as he road around the course to view each group the support he gave me. The encouragement on shots, putts, etc. I don't forget things like that. He is a class guy and gave all us what we needed to make the King so special. Thank you JB for the many hours of hard work you put into these events. Thank you Morgan for the dedication and tremendous amount of behind the scenes work you do. Thank you THP members for the support you give the participants. This event made a dream come true and now I can sit back and enjoy so many fond memories.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I will organize my thoughts into the a lengthy post, but I think one of my favorite parts of this past weekend was enjoying the golf played by Ray (TeedUpThoughts) in the best ball and individual formats. I get a lot of personal joy in watching the enjoyment someone is getting from playing quality golf. Especially if that quality is more then what they expect of themselves. Ray is such a great guy and was really happy for him that he played so well this weekend. Well deserved of the MVP and hope he can continue the mojo for the rest of the season.

I will organize my thoughts into the a lengthy post, but I think one of my favorite parts of this past weekend was enjoying the golf played by Ray (TeedUpThoughts) in the best ball and individual formats. I get a lot of personal joy in watching the enjoyment someone is getting from playing quality golf. Especially if that quality is more then what they expect of themselves. Ray is such a great guy and was really happy for him that he played so well this weekend. Well deserved of the MVP and hope he can continue the mojo for the rest of the season.

I couldn't agree more. It was great to see Ray, Jesse and Josh destroy their handicaps. Others may have too I just didn't get to see it.

Always a good time when someone plays well...even better when it's someone you consider a friend.

Least favorite part..... The greens. I've never felt so inept in my life on greens. I think I made one putt over 4 feet all weekend and that may have been a 6 footer. I should have taken Buck's advice after about my 7th birdie putt from inside 15 feet in our match to putt with my eyes closed. The only birdies I was making was two putts on par 5's and a couple of other kick in during the two ball format.

It has been fun to catch up on the recaps over the last couple of days and great to hear yet more stories about how great everyone really is

Looking forward to reading more recaps

Really appreciate the kind words, and the encouragement from our conversation at dinner on Saturday. That's a huge compliment coming from someone with as much talent as you have, and I sincerely hope we get to tee it up again in the near future. You have a round on me if you're ever in Southern New England bud!

I couldn't agree more. It was great to see Ray, Jesse and Josh destroy their handicaps. Others may have too I just didn't get to see it.

Always a good time when someone plays well...even better when it's someone you consider a friend.

Thank you, it was a blast hanging out with you this past weekend. I hope we get the chance to hang out again. Good luck at Love is in the air!

I'm loving these recaps. There is nothing like a THP event. Sounds like there was some really good golf played this past weekend.

Least favorite part..... The greens. I've never felt so inept in my life on greens. I think I made one putt over 4 feet all weekend and that may have been a 6 footer. I should have taken Buck's advice after about my 7th birdie putt from inside 15 feet in our match to putt with my eyes closed. The only birdies I was making was two putts on par 5's and a couple of other kick in during the two ball format.

Check that... least favorite part was definitely the disappearing act my "No 3 Jack's" headcover did post practice round. Kick in the nuts!!!

It also should be noted how freaking hot the Live Update thread was on Saturday/Sunday. Knowing THPers were following along added to the pressure/excitement. Hope you guys enjoyed the updates as much as we enjoyed your encouragement and support. That really put this event over the top for me. So glad the MC will be updated live, even if it's not by the players themselves.

Check that... least favorite part was definitely the disappearing act my "No 3 Jack's" headcover did post practice round. Kick in the nuts!!!

Damn that sucks hard bro. I lost my putter headcover as well, but it was just the stock cover so not even in the same zip code as far as disappointment - I'm actually using it as an excuse to get a nicer headcover hahaha

It also should be noted how freaking hot the Live Update thread was on Saturday/Sunday. Knowing THPers were following along added to the pressure/excitement. Hope you guys enjoyed the updates as much as we enjoyed your encouragement and support. That really put this event over the top for me. So glad the MC will be updated live, even if it's not by the players themselves.

Great mention Josh. It was awesome to see so many folks following along. I'm still trying to catch up on that thread myself in my free time which has been scarce this week. Only a third of the way through on page 40 now. So much fun to read through and see how other matches were going.

Oh, Hey Barry...thanks again for the poker chip!

Back