If you like a shaft here, will you like it there?

Redowl

Reaction score
Handicap
fast food
Until I found this site, I never even thought about shaft-selection when purchasing a new club. Now that I've been around a bit, I have started to pay attention to what I like. I still know very little about shaft design & characteristics, but I'm trying to learn!

With that said, I am wondering if liking a particular shaft in one club means there is a good chance you'll like it in another?

For example, I love the Fubuki shaft that came stock w/ my Adam's Super XTD hybrid. Does that mean there is a good chance I would enjoy the Fubuki shaft in the Callaway Big Bertha? I realize they aren't identical shafts, but they do seem to have very similar specs.

I realize there is no absolute in this area of club construction, just wondering what your thoughts are!

Moved over to the shaft section.
The easy answer is "maybe". In most cases you will like the feel for the most part (head weight and swing weight play a role here).
However the ball flight may be quite different. Depending on how the head is constructed, it could be a low spin vs high spin vs mid spin thing. It could be more in line with the sound and how that impacts the feel. It could be something as superficial as how it looks and it bothers you mentally with one head vs the other.

Lots of variables, but in my opinion, the club head will play a larger role in the performance than the shaft will (although I am in the minority on the internet, despite being correct :D)

Most times, it won't be that simple, heads perform differently and have different launch/spin traits so that in turn will effect how the launch/spin profile of the shafts work in conjunction with the head.

I've found that most times it doesn't work out that well for people that just assume a shaft they liked in one club will work in another, sure, there are cases where it will, but its best to go try it out somewhere before leaping if at all possible.

I have nothing to offer in additon to what JB and Jman say....but after LOVING the Red Tie in my 588 Fairway, I took a flyer on the driver shaft for the Big Bertha. I have not had it out on the range or the course yet, but that will change tomorrow (rain permitting). I'll have a better answer for you then.

I'll let you know Saturday, lol. I'll get to hit my black tie in my new Alpha for the first time hoping it meshes with Bertha like it did with RFE.

I can add that I have had success with the s300 iron shafts in my last two sets of irons.

Like others have said, there are many other variables. I know a driver shaft that I hit well in the SuperTri did not work so well in the Covert. Same shaft, same playing length, but different spin rates and feel.

That all makes a lot of sense - thanks!
I'm not looking to go out and buy-before-I-try, I was just wondering if there was a general correlation. It sounds like the best thing someone can do these days is to get fitted for everything - driver through golf umbrella.

That all makes a lot of sense - thanks!
I'm not looking to go out and buy-before-I-try, I was just wondering if there was a general correlation. It sounds like the best thing someone can do these days is to get fitted for everything - driver through golf umbrella.

If you make your way to the THP Event in WI coming up soon, we would be happy to put you on the launch monitor at the range.

Like others have said, there are many other variables. I know a driver shaft that I hit well in the SuperTri did not work so well in the Covert. Same shaft, same playing length, but different spin rates and feel.

That's been my experience as well. I had a great shaft/head combo in one driver and figured I could put the same shaft in a newer model and get similar results. Still hit it okay, but had a bunch more spin and lost my ability to lower the flight and have some good roll out. Sold it to a friend that hit it great, but he was never able to hit my old combo well so go figure.

I support the answer...maybe.

My Tour AD-DI shaft works like dream with most heads I have tried, but my Project X did not.

Wicked Cool Bearded Man and I were having this discussion when we played a round last week. It centered around how both him and I have liked a particular driver shaft for the past few years: Matrix Black Tie for him, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI for me. We've both played the same shaft in multiple driver heads and have had success with it, and like the feel of that particular shaft. For better or worse, using that shaft in different drivers has allowed there to be a constant in the equation when it comes to switching drivers. I will say that I have not gone through a formal fitting since 2011, so when I do that I might go with another driver shaft if it works the best with a particular head, and I understand what others have said about the driver head being more important because of the differences between different heads. That said, if you are a tinkerer or don't have a good fitter available near you, keeping the shaft the same when changing the clubhead isn't a bad thing at all.

Wicked Cool Bearded Man and I were having this discussion when we played a round last week. It centered around how both him and I have liked a particular driver shaft for the past few years: Matrix Black Tie for him, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI for me. We've both played the same shaft in multiple driver heads and have had success with it, and like the feel of that particular shaft. For better or worse, using that shaft in different drivers has allowed there to be a constant in the equation when it comes to switching drivers. I will say that I have not gone through a formal fitting since 2011, so when I do that I might go with another driver shaft if it works the best with a particular head, and I understand what others have said about the driver head being more important because of the differences between different heads. That said, if you are a tinkerer or don't have a good fitter available near you, keeping the shaft the same when changing the clubhead isn't a bad thing at all.

Agreed dude. I feel the same. If you can't get fitted regularly it is one less thing I have to worry about. While I think JB is right as far as performance is concerned, for me the comfort factor outweighs the performance benefit

Back