2014 #TheKing Was Here - Video & Recap Thread

I have never played over 9.5 in my life, but I set the Alpha at 11, and I love it

Great recap MT. Amazing what that extra loft will do. I only got up to 11.5, but I will be dialing it up to 12.5 this weekend to see what happens.

Least favorite part..... The greens. I've never felt so inept in my life on greens. I think I made one putt over 4 feet all weekend and that may have been a 6 footer. I should have taken Buck's advice after about my 7th birdie putt from inside 15 feet in our match to putt with my eyes closed. The only birdies I was making was two putts on par 5's and a couple of other kick in during the two ball format.

Yeah that can be frustrating. But Buck doesn't believe in grain.

I may lose my man card for saying this, but sitting here reading the recaps has me all emotional, its combination of wanting to cry and dance around all at the same time.
It is amazing the effect this event has had on me. Needless to say it has been a nightmare returning to work and catching up, but when I get down I just come here and read some more.
To everyone that competed in #TheKing and to Josh and Chad, Harry, Finley and ScottyG and all the awesome THP'ers who followed along throwing out all kinds of encouragement,
Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!!!

Just had a chance to catch this. Very well done. Brought back memories of following the event.

JB...will you be posting the pics you took over the weekend? More specifically the group pic and each of the pairings pics you took on #1?

sapeja9y.jpg

byjenuqe.jpg

e9u7aned.jpg

y6yhasun.jpg

Dan blurry pic

e3ededen.jpg

Yeah that can be frustrating. But Buck doesn't believe in grain.

It's made up like unicorns and Dolly's to carry up equipment to the captains suites.

"Plastic-coated Black Burlap" w/ pee preventing technology.

New slogan... "I guess I'll take it"

"Plastic-coated Black Burlap" w/ pee preventing technology.

New slogan... "I guess I'll take it"

Hahaha Harry was on fire that round.

Saturday Afternoon:

After my morning went really well, I joined everyone for some lunch. I know the chicken fingers have been getting all the love on here so far (and I'll get to that later), but the Cuban sandwich was also amazing! I think they actually flew to Cuba to get it with how long it took, but I digress. For the afternoon round I was paired with none other than my captain, Harry, and I really didn't know what to expect since we were playing against Hashtag Chad and JimmyG (both great players in their own right). Harry has a great dry sense of humor that had us laughing all afternoon bantering back and forth with Chad. I have the short term memory of a goldfish, so I can't recall hole-by-hole but some highlights of the round were:

The "Crackcoon" - seriously the skinniest raccoon I have ever seen in my life. I was setting up for a shot and Harry nonchalantly says "Hey, uh, there's a raccoon..." To which I asked where, then saw it walk out from in front of our cart no more than 5ft. from me. Apparently it made another appearance on Sunday as well.

JimmyG absolutely SMOKES the 4W he has, it's surreal what he can do with that thing. His driver and X2Hot hybrid are not far behind that either, and he has some serious all around game!

Hashtag's country golf mix playing on the course was a nice mix. He was cool to chat with and I think shot an 81 which was impressive! I don't recall him missing many fairways either, except the widest fairway in the history of golf he somehow sliced it way right. He's got a lot of game though.

Harry was very reassuring to play with, kept encouraging me after bad shots, and really helped me keep my head in my game. For a match with so much on the line in a marquee rivalry, he made it feel more like a casual Sunday afternoon round and I didn't really feel much pressure.

I made a ton of shots that I had no business attempting. My scrambling, wedge shots, and putting were unconsciously good. I stuck some wedges close from some gnarly lies; on the par 3 over all of the junk (14 I believe) I overshot the green and waste area and landed under a shrub. Standing against the shrub with only a partial swing I was able to get it over the waste area and stop it 15ft from the pin. I also drove the green on 17 with Bertha, it landed just over the front bunker and stopped 15ft from the pitch mark, I think I was over-excited because I then 3-putted for par.

These 3 guys (and JB following along) made what should have been my PB round (messed up on 18, mental mistake and missed by 2 strokes) one of the most enjoyable rounds I have ever had, just a ton of fun! I mentioned to them that I shot a 105 only 2 weeks before on my home course and felt that I wasn't ready coming in. My driver was all over the place, mid iron game was atrocious, and only my wedge game and putting kept me from shooting a 130. With Bertha keeping me in play all day, and these guys encouraging me all the way around I achieved way more than I should have, and hopefully something I can repeat many times more this summer.

Saturday Night:

I actually felt good after playing 36 holes in the Florida Sun, I kept really well hydrated all day and applied a gallon of sunscreen. I showered up and Miller Time and I joined everyone down at Davids for dinner. I had a really good conversation with JimmyG about golf and life, enjoyed the company of AKRobby and his wife, and spoke with Curt and a few of the other guys for a while. It was an early night though as I knew there was a lot riding on Sunday with only 3 or so points separating the two teams.

The King Wrapup – Afternoon session – Best Ball

Armygolf (Curtis) and I
Vs
Scotty Goryl and AKRobby (Rob)

After an awesome lunch, I went with the California Cobb Salad with Grilled Chicken, forgoing the most awesome chicken fingers on the planet in order to watch my svelte figure, it was time for the afternoon matchup. Big hand clapping thanks to Callaway for picking up the lunch tab.

Robbie was getting 19 pops, Scott 9 pops, me 1 pop and Curtis was playing straight up.

We were all square through the first 4 holes.

Hole #5 – We get a par and a point on the par 3 to take a 1 up lead

Hole #7 – I rolled in a 20ft birdie to push to a 2 up lead for Team Harry

Hole #8 – Scotty G hits his approach into the big front bunker, but then drains the sand shot for a birdie/net eagle to cut it to a 1 up lead. Scott was so happy! I’m pretty sure he kept the ball as a souvenir. His first ever holed out sand shot. Mack Daddy 2 wedge at work!

Hole #10 – Scotty is looking good on the green in one on the par 3 while Curtis and I are in the bunker. Mack Daddy 2 wedge does work again, this time for me. Sand shot to 2 feet to save par. Scotty missies his 20 footer for bird and we earn the tie for the hole. Clinging to a 1 shot lead after 10 holes for Team Harry.

Hole #11 – Curtis and I get the hole to push a 2up lead.

Hole #12 – Curtis and I both are safely on the par 3 green with 25 foot putts while Robbie and Scott are off and pitching up. Robbie’s chip shot is close and he make the put for a solid up and down and a net Birdie. Cuts our lead back down to 1 up.

Hole #13 – I hit another #berthastraight drive and follwup with an approach to 8 ft. I miss the bird but Par I good enough for the win. Team Harry back to 2up.

We had some close holes down the stretch but ultimately went into 18 still holding on to the 2 up lead. Scotty G played great on the long par 5 and got the final hole to keep Team Harry to a 1 point victory.

This round was so much fun. More high fives after great shots by either team. Just super friendly competition.
Curtis and I got along just great. Everything you hear about how nice Canadians are can be summed up by meeting Curtis. One of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet.

Scotty G is the quiet one out of the Callaway 4 some that came to #theking but he was really nice. Was a pleasure to hear from him how CEO Chip Brewer has changed the culture at Callaway in such a short time. We heard a bit about office banter and how his office is in between Chad’s and Harry’s so there is always some shenanigans going on between them. We talked about their office putting contests and how Harry is so much fun to work for. Really great guy!

Robbie is just awesome. He hit some good shots and some not so good shots, but his demeanor never changed – almost constant smile. Just likes to have fun and boy that is what we had. Great foursome and a great match.

Thanks for the kind words Barry! That was a great round and the 4 of us really had a helluva time out there.

Just so I don't forget, I need to plug the Championsgate Burger at David's Club.

The first night I had the American Burger and was extremely unimpressed with it, I don't know if they forgot to put sauce on it or not but it was super dry. So the next night as I browsed through the menu JB recommended that I try the Championsgate burger. Thank you JB! This burger was freaking amazing! So juicy, so much flavor, perfect soft bun, and when I poured the gravy on it it just went to a whole new level of awesome.
I then proceeded to finish Alek's burger when he had his fill, and I don't regret it for one second.

Also of note was the boat of Nacho's that Shane ordered, very good stuff there!

Army,
Im still thinking about that burger with the gravy. Sooooo good.

Back