What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

I played my first round with the Taylormade Tour Preferred. It does play different that the Tour Preferred X. I found the spin to be off the charts around the greens. One thing I think I noticed was that off the driver it is spinning a bit much. I also had a few balloon balls with short irons. It was pretty windy so I am not sure what to think of those balloon shots. I am definitely going to give it another shot.

Played 2012 Z Star XV for the first time this year and remembered why I like this ball so much. It is long for me and just jumps off the long clubs and yet still is so predictable around the greens. It is my typical gamer mixed with some Pro v1x and will stay that way. Tour Preferred X is really durable but just seems a bit hard to me. I will try it again if it ever warms up.

Played a ProV1x that I found in the rough for 9 holes to see if was any longer than the Maxfli U3 I've been playing for over a year. It wasn't longer and the reason for me switching away from a super premium ball - too much spin on approach shots, was still a problem. The ProV1x actually stopped dead on a medium flight hybrid shot from 220 yards and I backed up a wedge 30 feet. I will be sticking with the slightly lower spinning Maxfli U3.

I had an interesting conversation with a PGA teaching pro last week about the fact that I don't like any of the super premium balls because they spin too much. He agreed and pointed out that the tour pros are playing on faster harder greens than we are and also face tighter pin locations. That's why they need to play a ball that spins so much on approach shots.

I agree with this. I used to play DT Solos when I lived in PA because they went far and they would stop well on the soft PA greens. Colorado greens tend to be a lot firmer and even tour balls like the V1x, Hex Black, and Tour B330 just don't hold well enough on these greens.

Picked up a dozen TM Lethals on clearance for my round Saturday. The weather was fair on the front 9 and 20+ mph winds and rain on the back 9. I was not impressed at all with this ball. I normally play the Nike 20xi or 20xi-s and get great stopping power on greens. I did not get any stop from the Lethals, no extra distance off the tee either. I'll stick with my Nikes for now. Looking forward to testing the Platinums sooner than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lethal just in to my last dozen still might be a while before i get to the TPX's

I played a Bridgestone E6 that I had found. It was in 'like new' condition, no scuffs or scratches or anything. I was actually extremely impressed. Typically, mid-level balls leave me with mid-level feelings about them, but this actually had enough greenside spin to suit me and felt awesome coming off the club. Glad I pulled it out of my bag yesterday.

~Rock

Bstone b330 from last year. Still loved it

Bstone b330 from last year. Still loved it

Have you tried the new B330? I'm waning to give the B series ball a try and this is the ball I was recommended but most people say the new hydracore makes a huge difference

e5, further iteration that it will be the ball in the MC for me. Performs very similar to the Q-Star which I love dearly.

I played the Taylormade Preferred X and I really loved the ball. It goes when i Hit flush off the driver to tune of 290 yards and checks up on the approach shots. Wish it was cheaper but my boss has a connection at Taylormade so they won't hurt the wallet too much.

#Cookie - I did some testing with the e5 this past weekend and I think I prefer it over the e6. I can predict with a little more confidence that the e5 is going to stop. Gonna take them out again, but it was good to play them again. Oh, and they dont come in Yellow, so there is that.

JM

Last edited:
SR 2 and 3. Both balls are amazing. After consulting with my partner Army Golf I think the SR3 will be my new gamer. Its a spinning machine and flies great

The E5 would be good for you I think Johnny Bridgestone. You get the spin off the urethane cover and the distance of a 2 piece ball

#Cookie - I did some testing with the e5 this past weekend and I think I prefer it over the e6. I can predict with a little more confidence that the e5 is going to stop. Gonna take them out again, but it was good to play them again. Oh, and they come in Yellow, so there is that.

JM

I agree Shane. I tested them last year when they made a change, its just been a while since I had them out. By the Way, Congratulations on the epic win! "Johnny Bridgestone" that makes me laugh every time you say that! It does make me sound taller though.:act-up:

JM

I picked up some of the Nike 20XI-X when they were on close out and put them in play today. I know it wasn't very popular but I really like this ball. It doesn't have the best feel but a great combination of long and low spin off the driver and stopping power with the irons.

First hole was a 7 iron from about 165 and it stopped about 3 inches from the ball mark.

Spoiler

20xi1.JPG

Yes I made the putt!

I played this on my home course and on most holes I was 10-20 yards further than where I am with the project a or rbz u with the driver. It was windy today and it held its line quite well.

Spoiler

315yrd par 4. Sadly I left the eagle putt short

20xi2.JPG

The Lethal is still probably my favorite ball as I prefer the feel to the Nike, still for $15 on closeout I am very happy with them.

Callaway Supersoft and Needless to say I have found my ball for the season. Now I need to get more than a dozen especially for the OC Invitational

Still playing the MaxFli Fire I've been using for a few rounds now. Until it is lost, I'll keep using it!

I picked up some of the Nike 20XI-X when they were on close out and put them in play today. I know it wasn't very popular but I really like this ball. It doesn't have the best feel but a great combination of long and low spin off the driver and stopping power with the irons.

First hole was a 7 iron from about 165 and it stopped about 3 inches from the ball mark.

Spoiler

20xi1.JPG

Yes I made the putt!

I played this on my home course and on most holes I was 10-20 yards further than where I am with the project a or rbz u with the driver. It was windy today and it held its line quite well.

Spoiler

315yrd par 4. Sadly I left the eagle putt short

20xi2.JPG

The Lethal is still probably my favorite ball as I prefer the feel to the Nike, still for $15 on closeout I am very happy with them.

i got some on the same deal... there is a big difference between the 2012 and 2013 models i have played both. the nike is a very good ball in the wind the best i have ever played in the wind.

I played a couple of round the last few weeks and put the new Bridgestone B330-RX ball in play. I have to be honest and say that I was very surprised with how it preformed. It was long with a nice ball flight and held its line through the light wind, as I was playing a links course. It decent of the irons and nice of the putter, the greens were very hard, so I played a more pitch and run game. I did try the older version and hated it. I also teed up the Supersoft. It was long and for the price good value. I did manage to scuff the first ball after only two holes!

I have been using a Ram FX soft after getting a box from a customer as a thank you. I have to say thank I am impressed by how it performed I normally play using a Nike soft PD but I do now prefer the Ram which has shocked me. The flight of the ball was good and straight, it felt very good near the green it gave me the confidence that I could attack the green. I have just brought a dozen more.

I played a Wilson Staff DX2, not a bad ball at all, long from the tee, pitching / short irons didn't spin enough, but putting felt good.

Switched fform my tm penta 5 to bridgestone b330 rx. Must say im very pleased with the switch. Very similar characteristics and I thing a touch longer.

I hit a Nike Vapor One Speed or something the other day for a few holes. I actually found it. Holy S...that thing was long and straight.

I'm sure it's an older ball

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

It wasn't my last time out, but got a chance to try the Hopkins 3 layer ball for one round. I was pleasantly surprised, plenty long, straight, felt like I compressed the ball very well. Durability was fine for that round and I used it 18 holes. No excess of spin around the greens, some light checking, although the greens here are still so hard we saw few if any green divots coming in. Soft enough to make this ball a joy to putt with, yet not mushy at all off a driver. Good all round ball, IMHO!

Now that our course conditions here in Atlanta are a little more consistent I have been on the new Tour Preferred X kick and I absolutely love these. They seem more like the TP5's on steroids in my opinion. I played on very firm and fast greens this last week and these had adequate spin and feel great

Back