Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible

Thinking about buying this book, after reading The Little Red Book I actually enjoy reading if it involves golf. Do you all think that this is a must buy if you are looking for a new golf book to read?

This is more like a text book compared to other golf books.

If you are looking for a "lighter" read about the short game, check out Stockton's "Unconscious Scoring"

Ryan I need all the help I can get with the short game. And if I can get any help with my mental game and physical game I am all about that.
It's not really a leisure reading book, but if you're looking to get some help on your short game it can be a good one.

Light?? Not looking for a light book, wanna get something hard that pushes me to do better and really get in my head that I can be a better short gamer. Gotta get everything I can so I can improve. Looks like I can pick this up on the Bay at around $8.
This is more like a text book compared to other golf books.

If you are looking for a "lighter" read about the short game, check out Stockton's "Unconscious Scoring"

There is no doubt this book will help you coers. I like it for say 100 yards in, then Stocton's unconscious scoring for around the greens. But it's just info, you still have to get out and practice it :).

Oh I am out there practicing, I was working on the short game for half an hour before I played 18 last night. I got no problem driving 10 minutes up the road and working on the short game. It's just me practicing on the correct form and way to improve.
There is no doubt this book will help you coers. I like it for say 100 yards in, then Stocton's unconscious scoring for around the greens. But it's just info, you still have to get out and practice it :).

Oh I am out there practicing, I was working on the short game for half an hour before I played 18 last night. I got no problem driving 10 minutes up the road and working on the short game. It's just me practicing on the correct form and way to improve.
Sorry buddy, I didn't mean it that way.

Pelz gives you a go to system for 100 and in. Stoctkon gives you technique and a mental approach for around the green, kind of a slightly more technical explanation to match Pennick's visual of hitting chips under a coffee table.

Congrats on getting the 'cap under 18, BTW.

Sorry buddy, I didn't mean it that way.

Pelz gives you a go to system for 100 and in. Stoctkon gives you technique and a mental approach for around the green, kind of a slightly more technical explanation to match Pennick's visual of hitting chips under a coffee table.

Congrats on getting the 'cap under 18, BTW.

Thanks man, and no problem. I think they would both help me out.

I am only halfway through but I have gained a lot from this book. I have bought in to the "club up with less swing" philosophy. My last round out I was hitting all my irons fat and leaving them short and was still able to pitch it close often using PW or AW rather thean a full SW and save par/bogey.

I wish they had a kindle version of this one. Just a book I'd love to have on me constantly.

I wish they had a kindle version of this one. Just a book I'd love to have on me constantly.

I as well need a copy of this. To remind me not to be an idiot.

We often talk about the system, but the are two special condition tips that I've found to be really good too. The first is his explanation of how the basic swing becomes a sand shot. The second is for when you are in taller grass - the choke down and swing long (not hard) thing really works.

We often talk about the system, but the are two special condition tips that I've found to be really good too. The first is his explanation of how the basic swing becomes a sand shot. The second is for when you are in taller grass - the choke down and swing long (not hard) thing really works.

makes sense. And again it is adjusting from a "normal swing" not instituting a entire new one.

makes sense. And again it is adjusting from a "normal swing" not instituting a entire new one.
Yep. I don't remember the details right now but the basic Pelz swing is virtually the same swing to take out of the sand. Sometimes I appreciate a simple mental thought process for things, so that approach for getting out of the sand appeals to me.

Get on it man, I just bought one from the Bay for $10. I think you should be able to swing that kind of price.

Great find. I'll check it out

I have this book and just started to "re-read".

Forgot how good the book is and need to practice the recommended methods, which should reduce my scores.

Not to trying to hijack the thread, but just purchased the Voice Caddie SC100.

This device will be very helpful in practicing these shots in the "target" mode. Since the method is really about changing your swing speed due to the length of the swing, it is perfect for practicing with the SC100.

Clark

Last edited:
Finally started to read this book and looking forward to the help I can get with it. Right now I have only been through one chapter reading about him and how he got where he is. Gotta say can't believe he made it so far by now having much money. I don't know if I would have lasted aslong as he did.

So what I have learned up to where I am is that to be a better golfer you have to be a alright woods/irons player and a great short player. So I guess now on it's all about the short game for practice.

Well, there's more than one way to skin a cat, but a good wedge and puttng game can make up for some deficiencies in the full swing for sure.

Well, there's more than one way to skin a cat, but a good wedge and puttng game can make up for some deficiencies in the full swing for sure.

Never skinned a cat before but if that betters my game I will lol. Well I know I got ton of deficiencies, so wedge and putting improvement would really improve my game. Maybe almost as good as the Hawk, but I won't hold breath on it.

I like that you refer to me in third person. Let's run with that.

I like that you refer to me in third person. Let's run with that.

Have to give credit where credit is due. ;)

Have you taken anything you've read to the short game area yet? Or still have yet to get to that part. I know the beginning is sort of long.

Have you taken anything you've read to the short game area yet? Or still have yet to get to that part. I know the beginning is sort of long.

I just got chapter three done. Think I'm about there.

I've been spending more and more time on the range working on these shots. Get a few new distances to work on each week since they move the ropes back or forward and there are four different flags in the 50-100 yard range (depending on where the ropes are and where you set up).

Today it was 85/90 and 60/65, which gives me a bunch of different shots I can hit.

As I've sort of slowly (SLOWLY) transitioned to less of an armsy swing with a less handsy release I've seen some changes in my distances, which hasn't exactly been a good thing. The benefit is that it appears I should improve my consistency and I get better trajectory control, but it's been a little hit or miss on the course as I fight between old and new swings. When I'm a little more rotational, I'm a good 7-10 yards longer for each swing/club, but when I'm not it's old distances. It's bit me a few times.

Hence, the reason I'm working so much on it. 10 yards long on a 70 yard shot is bad news when hitting 9 greens is a good day. The good news is that it's an easier swing for me to improve quickly than the full swing and I've seen steady improvement in practice. Hoping to see that pay off on the course in the near future.

I've been spending more and more time on the range working on these shots. Get a few new distances to work on each week since they move the ropes back or forward and there are four different flags in the 50-100 yard range (depending on where the ropes are and where you set up).

Today it was 85/90 and 60/65, which gives me a bunch of different shots I can hit.

As I've sort of slowly (SLOWLY) transitioned to less of an armsy swing with a less handsy release I've seen some changes in my distances, which hasn't exactly been a good thing. The benefit is that it appears I should improve my consistency and I get better trajectory control, but it's been a little hit or miss on the course as I fight between old and new swings. When I'm a little more rotational, I'm a good 7-10 yards longer for each swing/club, but when I'm not it's old distances. It's bit me a few times.

Hence, the reason I'm working so much on it. 10 yards long on a 70 yard shot is bad news when hitting 9 greens is a good day. The good news is that it's an easier swing for me to improve quickly than the full swing and I've seen steady improvement in practice. Hoping to see that pay off on the course in the near future.

Are you using the same club for these distances or using different? These yardages it's my 54 primarily for 80/95 & 58 for 60/65 with adjusting swing length for distance control, just curious how you are playing them.

Back