Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible

I re_read sections of the book and went to the range today to work on figuring out distances, I'm as confused as ever. PW 9:00 was about 120 and each subsequent wedge was about 5-7 yards less. I need to recheck my numbers but I think this is about 25 yards longer than what I used to get with my RocketBladez irons. That extra distance creates Pelz swing gaps at certain shorter distances. Not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

This darn game is funny. I've been pretty challenged trying to nail down distances with new wedges. The flip side - good side - of that is that I've put in a lot of work on Pelz swings.

Fast forward to today where I played two balls during a 9 hole round at an executive course. The Pelz swings were the star of the show. I even added PW to the repertoire, giving me 4 swings with 4 clubs...and ended the round by putting a 9:00 PW to 4' from 112 for the birdie. #happy

Seeing as how my full swing is getting dialed in, my focus has turned to putting and my short game. I started reading this tonight and have to say I think I understand the technique so far in what I read and I am anxious to see how it translates.

Seeing as how my full swing is getting dialed in, my focus has turned to putting and my short game. I started reading this tonight and have to say I think I understand the technique so far in what I read and I am anxious to see how it translates.
Good move, this will definitely help you.

Good move, this will definitely help you.

Im up to Chapter 4 so far. Need to put this "Dead Hands" concept and the more upright swing plane to work.

Im up to Chapter 4 so far. Need to put this "Dead Hands" concept and the more upright swing plane to work.
Have you taken it to the range yet?

I have put 4 days of work in after reading the first 5 chapters and have been very pleased with this purchase. This is by far the weakest part of my game and after some practice this method is simple and just flat works. Will be putting it to the test for the first time tomorrow and will let you all know how it goes

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Always nice to see new people exploring this book. It 100% changed my game and really continues to be the biggest strength I have on the golf course.

I started my work on the range today. After going through my normal practice routine, I started work on the "dead hands" method and sure enough the results were consistent. I worked on 9:00 58* wedge shots and 10:30 PW shots and the distance and dispersion was more accurate then I expected. I still need to figure out my distances (SC100 incoming), but so far I am impressed.

I started my work on the range today. After going through my normal practice routine, I started work on the "dead hands" method and sure enough the results were consistent. I worked on 9:00 58* wedge shots and 10:30 PW shots and the distance and dispersion was more accurate then I expected. I still need to figure out my distances (SC100 incoming), but so far I am impressed.
Good stuff! The SC100 really is invaluable for this method. You are going to love it.

My advice would be to nail down the 9:00 and 10:30 distances with all clubs. Really get those dialed in. Then move the 7:30 shots, the one most people struggle the most with. I think this will give you confidence in the method and have much of the technique stuff nailed down.

Good stuff! The SC100 really is invaluable for this method. You are going to love it.

My advice would be to nail down the 9:00 and 10:30 distances with all clubs. Really get those dialed in. Then move the 7:30 shots, the one most people struggle the most with. I think this will give you confidence in the method and have much of the technique stuff nailed down.

Did you follow the guide to mark your distances on a note and tape it to your wedges?

Did you follow the guide to mark your distances on a note and tape it to your wedges?
Not on the wedges. I keep a little note card that I put in my pocket that has all the distances. I think if I got more familiar with my numbers I could put them on the shafts, but for now I'd probably pull the wrong club so I keep them on the card.

My copy comes tomorrow. Needless to say I am excited.

Definitely a book that can have a long-lasting positive effect on your game. Let us know if you have questions. Always love to take the wedge game.

Definitely a book that can have a long-lasting positive effect on your game. Let us know if you have questions. Always love to take the wedge game.

Worked on it today, was still swing inside out and the shanks crept in. Worked with my instructor to get it in line and should be good to go.

I'm gonna start working on the pelz system again very soon. I'm not taking distances till closer to the king so my numbers are as accurate as they can be

Worked on it today, was still swing inside out and the shanks crept in. Worked with my instructor to get it in line and should be good to go.

If I get too inside on the takeaway I can throw a shank out there. Something that comes more when I'm practicing than on the course fortunately.

I'm gonna start working on the pelz system again very soon. I'm not taking distances till closer to the king so my numbers are as accurate as they can be

Got your notecard ready?

This is a great read. the pelz putter tools are great too, the magnet tags he coined that go on your putter face to create better sweet spot striking when putting. simple but very helpful in muscle memory and putting stroke tempo.

I got new wedges. My setup now goes 46/50/54/58 instead of 45/50/55/60. I didn't think 1 or 2 degrees would make that much of a difference. But the gaps between clubs were definitely tighter. With those tighter gaps I'm going to need more time with this to really dial in the swing and distances.

Question for those of you who maybe don't have the full swing you once did...what do you do about the full swing vs. the 10:00 swing? Do you adjust technique to make it a Pelz swing or do you take your normal full swing?

I never take a swing larger than a 10 o'clock with any of my wedges. I have just decided the gain in distance was not worth the loss of accuracy involved. For me, it meant my 56 only goes to 98 yards vs the 105 it used to be, I am OK with that as I am more accurate now.

I never take a swing larger than a 10 o'clock with any of my wedges. I have just decided the gain in distance was not worth the loss of accuracy involved. For me, it meant my 56 only goes to 98 yards vs the 105 it used to be, I am OK with that as I am more accurate now.

I rarely even go that big. I'm more comfy clubbing up and swinging less, though trajectory does lower that way.

Thinking about buying this book, after reading The Little Red Book I actually enjoy reading if it involves golf. Do you all think that this is a must buy if you are looking for a new golf book to read?

It's not really a leisure reading book, but if you're looking to get some help on your short game it can be a good one.

Back