Question on Pro V1 versus Pro V1x

I think it's important to differentiate side spin from the generic "spin". My side spin seems much greater with the V1x as opposed to the V1. I've seen ball spec reports that prove this, but I can't seem to locate them at the moment. And I seem to recall Titleist marketing the 2013 Pro V1 as having less side spin.

I argued this months ago with two buddies who played the V1x because of this concept that the V1 has more spin. After experimenting, they're both now V1 players.

Wish I could find that quantitative data...

Can you tell me the difference between side spin (which really doesn't exist) and 'generic' spin. Does one come with cool graphics and the other in a plain white wrapper with black lettering? I am kidding of course but would like to hear your take on the two.

I am currently testing two balls from Titleist that have no markings other than a black circle and square. I played 36 with them last week and saw no discernible differences between the two. I am assuming they are early 2015 versions of the ProV1 series. A true blind test that I have been taking notes on.

I think it's important to differentiate side spin from the generic "spin". My side spin seems much greater with the V1x as opposed to the V1. I've seen ball spec reports that prove this, but I can't seem to locate them at the moment. And I seem to recall Titleist marketing the 2013 Pro V1 as having less side spin.

I argued this months ago with two buddies who played the V1x because of this concept that the V1 has more spin. After experimenting, they're both now V1 players.

Wish I could find that quantitative data...

Call me crazy, but I played with two other guys and they witnessed the coincidence. I'm just not ready to write of a combination of things contributing to the spin I'm seeing. I'm not disagreeing with any of the coincident crowd, but I want to look at all possibilities. I'm playing in a scramble Thursday and will genuinely do a blind test.

As I already stated, I play with a slight OTT swing that I generally control and leads to a pull on 90+% of my miss-hits and very playable fades on the other 10% of miss-hits. I spent a few hours on the range this evening and hit 75+ drives and did notice a little more slice than usual, but roughly 15 yards right of my target line - not 30+ like I saw on my past round with the pro v1x. Then again, the range balls are rocks with minimal spin I'm sure.

I keep track of my stats and up until the past 2 months I was hitting 50% of fairways with my misses being horrendous slices. My stats over the past 60 days are 78% with over 90% of my misses being pulls in the rough near the fairway and playable.

And I only play to a 24 hc because I need more rounds in to drop it. I have had just about one lesson a week for the past 10 weeks with an instructor that came well recommended in my area by multiple sources. I've improved by leaps and bounds, but have taken steps back in scoring while I work on/reinforce some big changes for me. I'm only just now able to hit greens on approach shots due to accuracy. I've only recently really picked up a grasp for pitching/chipping. Hell, I holed out with a pitch on my first hole for birdie last round which is a first for me (the round was downhill from there though). I honestly thing I will be between 15-20 over the next couple of rounds as my handicap is adjusted. I played a round two weeks ago where the greens were being worked on so they set up temporary greens on the fairway in front of the normal greens. These temp greens were level with the fairway so that took a lot of short game out of the equation. I ended with an 81 and 2 of those strokes were from a thin chip that rolled off the back of the temp green into water.

Without being too rude, you play off 24 and as such it could just be an inconsistent swing that led to your results? I used to play both balls and the Pro V1 definitely moves more and spins more into and around greens. I used to play the Pro V1 on calm days and the 1X on windy days.

I'm not easily offended. I know I have an inconsistent swing, but what I saw were not typical misses for me.

I'm not a French model, but I'm not an idiot looking to blame something else for my problems either. The intent of my post was to see if there could be anything else related to what I saw. No more, no less.

I appreciate your's, and everyone else's input.

I've got both in the bag at the moment & cant tell the difference! Here's a chart :)

GolfBallDriverSpin.gif

How is it that the lowest launching balls are spinning less? Or is 400rpms & 1* launch next to not noticeable?

Well just to follow up, it was just coincidence that I hit 3 slices with the pro v1x last time and straight with the pro v1. More specifically, my flaw was coming up out of posture during my swing. I mixed and matched balls today at random during a scramble and was fine with either ball.

Glad you got it figured out CRW. I had a feeling that was what was going on, but its always nice to see it first hand.

Can you tell me the difference between side spin (which really doesn't exist) and 'generic' spin. Does one come with cool graphics and the other in a plain white wrapper with black lettering? I am kidding of course but would like to hear your take on the two.

Side spin doesn't exist? Then what causes ball movement left or right? While your golf ball may spin on one axis like a top, mine certainly does not.

Side spin doesn't exist? Then what causes ball movement left or right? While your golf ball may spin on one axis like a top, mine certainly does not.

Right and left axis, No side spin. Think of the ball turning end over end but tilted to the right or left

I'm really interested in seeing that study, I hope you are able to find this data. From a pure logic stand point this makes no sense to me, every piece of data released by Titleist shows the Pro V1 to have to most spin out of every ball they offer. How does a ball differentiate between backspin and side-spin?

While it's hardly a controlled study, here's an example from THP: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=19183. I recall seeing a large spreadsheet, and want to say it was the data that one of the golf magazines used in their awards selection. It showed robot swing data for compression, spin rates, atmospheric conditions, etc.

I don't disagree that common knowledge is a Pro V1 will spin more. But there's more than a few forum posts across various sites in which some claim to hold the line better with a Pro V1-- myself included.

Right and left axis, No side spin. Think of the ball turning end over end but tilted to the right or left

This really helps to put a picture to what you are saying (at least to me):

While it's hardly a controlled study, here's an example from THP: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=19183. I recall seeing a large spreadsheet, and want to say it was the data that one of the golf magazines used in their awards selection. It showed robot swing data for compression, spin rates, atmospheric conditions, etc.

I don't disagree that common knowledge is a Pro V1 will spin more. But there's more than a few forum posts across various sites in which some claim to hold the line better with a Pro V1-- myself included.

Lot more variables as the club gets longer for sure (primarily the swing itself), but my experience has been pretty much every urethane ball is the same general window with a wedge swing for spin.

The point I was making is that spin is spin. A golf ball isn't going to stop spinning just because it's spinning on a different axis.

Also, I never said that the Pro V1x works for everyone, or that it will hold the line better for everyone. From a spin stand point though, it's the lower spinning ball of the two Pro V1 models.

Personally, I actually move the Pro V1 more than the Pro V1x as it is higher spin off the tee and I am a higher spin player. More spin= more movement. The Pro V1X in all honesty should have moved less than the Pro V1.

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back