Cleveland 588 Hybrid Preview

Okay, I will bite. Why would the weight in the shaft cause issues when it weighs more than the shaft in your driver and is shorter?

Not totally sure but heavier weight clubs ( to a point) have always led to more consistent ball striking for me. I have some theories as to why more weight seems to help me but that's all it is.

Back to hybo pondering.

A few rounds and a ton of range sessions into the season and Im 100% certain I will not be rocking a 4I for my MC setup. My 5I has always been my favorite club to use on 2nd shots on par 5's etc, but I find myself pondering a 2 Hybo setup perhaps a 3 and a 4, and then start my irons at 5.

Thoughts on that? Ive only hit the 588 hybrid once in Jan, about 20 balls but I LOVED it. Straight and a piercing flight. Id like to see it launch higher, but that was with my flatter swing, and now that Im in a better position, Im anticipating Id see the higher launch out of these than I had before.

I could just see using these the "extra" hybo much much more than I would say a 5W, which is the route I went last year and pretty sure I hit it maybe once in a weekend

Here's my thoughts -

1) 4 irons are for weirdos and long knockers.
2) The 5h may end up gapping better with a 5 iron. For me, it creates a pretty good gap to my 6 iron.
3) Get to one of those demo days/scoring clinics and see. I think a 3/5 or 2/4 setup could be pretty good for you. Depends on how well you hit the 2h though. For me, that is sort of in an area where performance begins to degrade.

Here's my thoughts -

2) The 5h may end up gapping better with a 5 iron. For me, it creates a pretty good gap to my 6 iron.
3) Get to one of those demo days/scoring clinics and see. I think a 3/5 or 2/4 setup could be pretty good for you. Depends on how well you hit the 2h though. For me, that is sort of in an area where performance begins to degrade.

I agree with all of this. I think a lot depends on your clubhead speed. If it's up there, then you can game a 4 iron without issue. You can also play a 2H without issue.

If it is more average (or on the slower side), then both the 4i and the 2H may be tough. I fall into this range and about a 21 degree hybrid and about a 25 degree iron are about as low as I can go. Sure, I can hit the next one up, but it really doesn't go any further than the previous one, so what's the point?

I'd also check the gaps. If you're going from traditional irons with steel shafts to traditional hybrids with slightly longer and lighter graphite shafts, you can create some weird ones.

To swing speed I'd add your delivery into the ball. You have to really hit down into the ball to get much out of the lower lofts, otherwise you just can't get the launch/spin to keep it airborne and end up with a few clubs that all go the same distance.

Here's my thoughts -

SOme good words of wisdom

Pretty sure the 2H will be a no go, just not a club that would give me a decent % chance of achieving my objective. 3H and 5H, or 4H and 5H will probably be more reasonable. I'll find me some to hit outdoor at some point for sure.

Oh, that's what I forgot to add. Just keep an eye on gapping. 4/5 can be tighter than optimal for me. I'm dealing with that right now.

I'm thinking 3 (20.5) and 4 (23) right now

What Hawk said Mike. I love hitting my 4I when I catch it good, but at the end of the day I hit my 4H way more consistently. I also found that the 3H/4H gap wasn't big enough to carry both. That far out and I'm just trying to get it close anyways. If the miss is long (almost never) I choke up on a 5W. If it's short, I'll generally hit my 4H. I keep wanting to rock an 18-ish˚ hybrid, but I just don't get enough height to really take advantage so I'm sticking with the 5W setup for now.

I'll likely have a 3h and a 5w. Unless I see something from the 3w that tells me it's worth going for.

I'll likely have a 3h and a 5w. Unless I see something from the 3w that tells me it's worth going for.

yeah Im thinking 3W cause I love them off the tee and then 3H and 5H based on your guys's gapping thoughts

I'll likely end up using a fairway wood equally off the turf, if not more - assuming it's something I can rely on. Last night I was hitting the 17° FL from a couple years ago fine off the turf - one heavy miss that stayed straight but was short, but there's not a 17 out there to pick from.

Here's my thoughts -

I agree pretty much with everything said in the last 10 or so posts. I want clarification on the bolded though--just so I understand. Your input here is that a 5h would work better than a 4h if you are starting your irons at 5....or 6?

I'm looking at my current yardages; and I hit my current 3h 215, my current 4i 190, which leaves a painful gap at 200 yards. I was thinking a 4h would work better for the yardage I'm looking at...but then starting my irons at 5.

Hawk is referencing that most golfers hit hybrids longer than the irons that they replace loft wise, ie, I hit a 5 hybrid further than my 5i and as long as my 4i.

Yea, if I had a 5 iron I'd probably still go 5h - on the condition that I verified first though. That's just me.

In a perfect world I'd go 4h/6h/6i

So is anyone thinking about having a 5 wood or are you just going 3 wood then 3 hybrid. I gotta have a 5 wood for a long knocker on the fairway. 3 hybrid I am about a 180-185 club and with the 5 wood I would be around 195-200. I would think I am going to have to go with 3/5 hybrid then 6-9 for the irons. That's what I am working with now and it fits pretty well.

Hawk is referencing that most golfers hit hybrids longer than the irons that they replace loft wise, ie, I hit a 5 hybrid further than my 5i and as long as my 4i.
I agree completely. And if I went 4h then 5i...I'm just moving my yardage gap from 200 to 190 (or whatever it comes out to be).

Yea, if I had a 5 iron I'd probably still go 5h - on the condition that I verified first though. That's just me.
That's what I thought. I haven't gone 3h & 4h in a few years, but when I did, I hit the 4h farther (or so it seemed) than the 3h. There's just no way for me to decide on this without getting on a monitor and going through a fitting.

Need to hit them, hopefully next week, but 5w is my plan at the moment. Want to hit them off grass first to verify, but if the 15.5 was playable for me on grass I'd consider it.

So is anyone thinking about having a 5 wood or are you just going 3 wood then 3 hybrid. I gotta have a 5 wood for a long knocker on the fairway. 3 hybrid I am about a 180-185 club and with the 5 wood I would be around 195-200. I would think I am going to have to go with 3/5 hybrid then 6-9 for the irons. That's what I am working with now and it fits pretty well.
I'm completely torn Andrew. I love the 15.5 fairway, so much so that I had myself convinced I would add the 18 as well...going 3w-5w-4h. But then I hit this hybrid. Now I'm thinking 3w-2h-4h (or some combination).

I'm completely torn Andrew. I love the 15.5 fairway, so much so that I had myself convinced I would add the 18 as well...going 3w-5w-4h. But then I hit this hybrid. Now I'm thinking 3w-2h-4h (or some combination).

Definitely go hit them. I was pretty shocked at the distances I was able to get out of the F5 (hence it still being in the bag). I get almost as much carry as a 3W off the deck but my 3W is consistently longer off the tee. If I had a need for another wedge or something like that, the 3W would be the first club on the chopping block.

Definitely go hit them. I was pretty shocked at the distances I was able to get out of the F5 (hence it still being in the bag). I get almost as much carry as a 3W off the deck but my 3W is consistently longer off the tee. If I had a need for another wedge or something like that, the 3W would be the first club on the chopping block.

That's pretty much the way I've approached that for year now. Removing a long club so I can add a wedge. It's been a big benefit for me personally.

I hit them all last weekend at a demo day. Unfortunately, there was no launch monitor, so it was really impossible to have any type of read on distance gapping.

I own the 15.5 now, and LOVE it. Hitting the 4h at the demo day, and how easy it was to hit straight, has shifted my thinking a bit.

I hit them all last weekend at a demo day. Unfortunately, there was no launch monitor, so it was really impossible to have any type of read on distance gapping.

I own the 15.5 now, and LOVE it. Hitting the 4h at the demo day, and how easy it was to hit straight, has shifted my thinking a bit.

I really need to hit these and the fairways again. My inner Cleveland homer is beckoning.

Back