GPS Watch Suggestions

robmypro

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was fumbling far too much with my phone the last 2 rounds, determining yardage to the pin. Thinking about buying a GPS watch and it looks like Garmin and Bushnell are the big boys. I don't need to keep score or have any major features. I just want to look at the watch and get an accurate reading to the front, back and center of the green. I guess hazards would be nice, as long as I didn't have to mess around too much to get that information. So something simple, don't need touchscreen, but auto hole advance and recognition would be nice. It also has to be comfortable, and battery life is important. I only play a round at a time, so as long as it lasts around 5 hours that should be more than enough.

Anything jump out at you guys as meeting those needs? I was thinking about the Garmin S1. But I did read some negatives regarding comfort.

I'm a big fan of the Bushnell neo+ has all the features you mentioned and the battery is great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

There have been reviews on the home page that are very good.

I think there is a bushnell neo xs watch in the marketplace, you cant go wrong with that price. if not for what you need, take a look at the garmin S1 or the skycaddie watch

I have a Garmin S3, and I love it, but if I could do it all over again I'd save some money and get a lesser version. The big jump from the 1.0 to the 2.0, if I remember correctly, is that it gives distances to doglegs. My S3 adds a touch screen. I couldn't tell you the last time I utilized an accurate dogled distance, and the touchscreen...eh...it works as intended, but is it worth the extra $? For me, not really.

I have a Garmin S3, and I love it, but if I could do it all over again I'd save some money and get a lesser version. The big jump from the 1.0 to the 2.0, if I remember correctly, is that it gives distances to doglegs. My S3 adds a touch screen. I couldn't tell you the last time I utilized an accurate dogled distance, and the touchscreen...eh...it works as intended, but is it worth the extra $? For me, not really.

I wouldnt pay the extra fpr the touchscreen indeed, but I bought the S2 for the scorecard, it was worth it for me, and I upgraded tot he S4 for the detailed stat tracking and extended battery life, which I think are worth it. It all depends what features are valuable to you

I wouldnt pay the extra fpr the touchscreen indeed, but I bought the S2 for the scorecard, it was worth it for me, and I upgraded tot he S4 for the detailed stat tracking and extended battery life, which I think are worth it. It all depends what features are valuable to you
Extended battery life would be something I'd be interested in. My S3 gets a round and a half out of full charge. Nothing like it dying on the 13th hole.....

Only ones I have experience with are the Neo+ and Neo X (older Bushnell models). Both are great for the intended purpose.

I use the Motorola motoactv, has a golf mode and 16 gb hard drive. Works fairly well, some instances of incorrect yardages, but for the most part has been a positive addition to my rounds.

They are discontinued now but can still be found online and for much less than original retail $.

Love my Garmin S-1 Approach. Front,middle and back of green plus tracking how far you've hit a shot and it tells time too!

I use the Skycaddie watch. It is great for simple distances to the front, center, and back of the green. It does not give hazard distances. It seems to be very accurate. It would certainly be nice to have distances to hazards or doglegs and that is what I will look for in my next gps purchase, but for now, this Skycaddie watch works very well for me. It also lasts a very long time on one charge. I played yesterday in a tournament and I have over 60% of a charge left.

Thanks guys. Looks like War Eagle has the Neo-XS for sale, so I will go that route. Also, I found the review (thanks JB and James!) and it looks like a winner.

I think there is a bushnell neo xs watch in the marketplace, you cant go wrong with that price. if not for what you need, take a look at the garmin S1 or the skycaddie watch

Thanks for pointing that out. Timing is everything. :)

I've been using a Garmin S1 for over a year now and really love it. I only play 18 at a time and the battery holds up nicely, but I don't doubt I could get 27 out of it. I don't know about 36, but I'd be too whooped to bother with a GPS by the time the battery died I expect. There are times I wouldn't mind having a lay-up number so I might spring for a higher end model if I did it again, but the S1 has more info than anyone ever got off a sprinkler head tag and it is light-weight, comfortable, and waterproof enough for the golf course, even in Florida.

I tried the GPS on the phone, and I've watched plenty of guys fiddle with hand-held GPS units that don't really tell 'em any more than the S1 and my eyes tell me. The "Golf Watch" is the way to go, IMHO. Good luck; I think you'll thank yourself.

I've been using a Garmin S1 for over a year now and really love it. I only play 18 at a time and the battery holds up nicely, but I don't doubt I could get 27 out of it. I don't know about 36, but I'd be too whooped to bother with a GPS by the time the battery died I expect. There are times I wouldn't mind having a lay-up number so I might spring for a higher end model if I did it again, but the S1 has more info than anyone ever got off a sprinkler head tag and it is light-weight, comfortable, and waterproof enough for the golf course, even in Florida.

I tried the GPS on the phone, and I've watched plenty of guys fiddle with hand-held GPS units that don't really tell 'em any more than the S1 and my eyes tell me. The "Golf Watch" is the way to go, IMHO. Good luck; I think you'll thank yourself.

Thanks Jim. I was thinking the same thing. Just give me the yardage. I don't really need anything else. BTW, it was really down to the S1 vs the Neo-XS. I like simple!

Bit late but I have an S1 and like it a lot, no issues with comfort or accuracy at all.
But I don't like the battery life and the fact I can't charge it in the car so the extra life of the neo xs is pretty appealing right now.

Not sure how the charger for the bushnell attaches but I also find this an irritation on the S1.

I had a Garmin and really liked but was not satisfied with the battery life and sometimes it would not charge properly because of the design. I switched to a Bushnell Neo X and it works great, has a much longer battery life and no problems charging it.

I tried a Skycaddie watch and it worked great but wouldn't save the score card and allow you to download it later. Took it back and got a Garmin S2 instead. Been playing with it for almost a year now and love it. The yardage is always spot on. Definitely recommend it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Late to the party but I got the S1 for Xmas and adore it. I get two rounds out of the battery so that hasn't been an issue. I'm a high handicapper so I don't need to know distance to the creek, sand trap, random tree, etc. I just need yardage to the front middle and back of the green. To get that ... you look at your wrist. That's it. You look at your wrist like you do when you check the time. It's so simple and easy. I love it. You punch no buttons, you fuss with no setting, you just look at it and there it is.

The down side is that I am now the group yardage guy. Everyone knows that I know the yardage at all times from everywhere so everyone asks me because asking the guy with the GPS involves waiting for him to get it out, update, etc. I think he's kinda quit using his as much too! Why bother? The s1 delivers fast, accurate and EASY!

Depending on the amount our want to spend, you can probably get a Bushnell Neo-X pretty cheap now. I have one and it works great, even out here in the middle of Kansas at small 9 hole courses. Though the Neo-Xs that Jman mentioned earlier is better, and the newest model.

I want to get a GPS watch but I never pull the trigger thinking that if Apple comes out with a smart watch this year, someone will make a golf gps app for the watch.

I love my Garmin S1 and have never had an issue with the battery. All I normally need is front, middle, and back of the green because I typically play courses that I already know. It is a great price right now. If you play in Europe, go for the S2 or higher which can have European courses loaded on it.

Reviving this thread, any of you can recommend a good GPS smart watch 2016 edition? Need some feedback on the new ones, e.g Garmin X40, VivoActive HR, Bushnell XS or do we still stick to the old ones of SkyCaddie, TomTom, Garmin S series, etc.

Reviving this thread, any of you can recommend a good GPS smart watch 2016 edition? Need some feedback on the new ones, e.g Garmin X40, VivoActive HR, Bushnell XS or do we still stick to the old ones of SkyCaddie, TomTom, Garmin S series, etc.
I should have my Garmin X40 sometime ne t week. I'll be posting my thoughts (There is a thread for the X40)

Back