Titleist Vokey SM5 Wedges Preview Thread

My 54.10S is quickly becoming my go to club in a pinch. I'm really liking these

I'm the sane way. That 54 has bailed me out of all kinds of situations from 80 yds to inside of 20yds. Very versatile.

I'm going to have to check these out, lots of good feedback surrounding them. I just wish that I wasn't such an idiot when it came to understanding grinds, and I don't think the Titleist website does a great job of explaining them either. I'd be looking for a 54/58 combo; the 54 is used as my 100 yard club from the fairway and sometimes around the greens as well as longer bunker shots, but I don't open the face very much with that club. The 58 is an 80-85 yard club from the fairway, but I also need that club to be able to be opened up for flop shots and still have some usable bounce for bunker shots. I guess I'd be looking at the S or M grind for those 2 clubs, but can't really tell which one would be better for the 54 vs 58.

I'm going to have to check these out, lots of good feedback surrounding them. I just wish that I wasn't such an idiot when it came to understanding grinds, and I don't think the Titleist website does a great job of explaining them either. I'd be looking for a 54/58 combo; the 54 is used as my 100 yard club from the fairway and sometimes around the greens as well as longer bunker shots, but I don't open the face very much with that club. The 58 is an 80-85 yard club from the fairway, but I also need that club to be able to be opened up for flop shots and still have some usable bounce for bunker shots. I guess I'd be looking at the S or M grind for those 2 clubs, but can't really tell which one would be better for the 54 vs 58.

I was in the same boat & used Hopkins's website to figure out the grind & compared to the Vokeys. I actually called Vokey with the Hopkins recommendations to get the right wedge. Ended up with a 54/10 S & 58/8 M that fit me perfectly. I didn't want more than 10* of bounce given conditions down here & it's helped.

Agreed that the website is sort of vague and I'm not sure I can give you a very good recommendation. I've found success with the 60S, especially in the bunker, but it's not call a bouncy club. For me that isn't really a bad thing though. M was a nice option in the 54 for me. Usuable in a variety of ways.

Ordered my set of SM5's on Monday and they came in yesterday to my pro shop. Wow, I'm amazed.

The 54 saved my bacon on a few shots today. The spin I was generating was great and allowed me to be aggressive and fire at pins.

I have two SM5 Tour Chrome Tour Issue wedges coming to me next week. They are the 60.04L and 54.10M with DG S400 Tour Issue shafts.

The 54 saved my bacon on a few shots today. The spin I was generating was great and allowed me to be aggressive and fire at pins.

I was really getting some great action with the 60S as well. Mostly greenside today, with two almost chip-ins and a couple more in the three foot range. It's a solid little wedge.

Really enjoying the many ways to hit the m grind 54/10. A little to much becuase I try stuff I should not...

my SM5 50.12 (to replace my R11 A wedge) came in the post today!! had enough time to hit a small bucket with it......all I can say is.....AWESOME!!! :D

So I've had my Vokey's for about a month now and performance wise they're fantastic but the only gripe I have is the Gold Nickel finish shows EVERYTHING. Bag chatter shows up like nothing I've ever seen before. Anyone else notice the same on theirs?

I was really getting some great action with the 60S as well. Mostly greenside today, with two almost chip-ins and a couple more in the three foot range. It's a solid little wedge.

How do you find the club / grind compared to the Hopkins you were playing? How's the black wearing over time?

So I've had my Vokey's for about a month now and performance wise they're fantastic but the only gripe I have is the Gold Nickel finish shows EVERYTHING. Bag chatter shows up like nothing I've ever seen before. Anyone else notice the same on theirs?

Bummer. Mine is still in pretty good shape.

How do you find the club / grind compared to the Hopkins you were playing? How's the black wearing over time?

Well, it's sort of become a thing where I'm using the 60S in the spots I used to use the 57 Hopkins, but I think both are good at what they do. The S is just a very versatile club for me.

Black is hanging in there better than anticipated. No rust yet, but it's not really good rusting weather right now. Some light scuffing on the sole, but decent.

I've not seen any unusual wear. Grooves are good and finish is what I expect based on the a amount I've used them.

I am so impressed with the 50.12 raw.....I bought a 46.08 raw as well.......bending it to 45 degrees and replacing my P-wedge!!!

I'm using the 60S almost completely in place of where I used to use a 57° wedge near the green. Basically 55 yards and in and the bunker. Not sure why that's the case, since my wedge game hasn't changed much in two years, but I have it and I like it, so I find myself using it.

Lower bounce, which seems to work well with my swing. Only negative I'm seeing is a little more spin than I'm used to at times on pitch shots, which occasionally leaves me with a longer putt than anticipated. Very useful little wedge. Can give it a 9:00 swing and toss the ball way up or can put it back and shorten up the swing to keep it lower.

Wear on the Raw Black is much better than anticiapted as well.

I still think post MC I'll have to give a long look at a couple of these.

I can not wait for this bad boy to come in from Titleist! I'll be honest, me and my Vokey wedges had a love/hate relationship many years back so curious to see if my issues was due to the bounce. Hope so!

Mine came in last week...they are stunners..hoping to get to work on painting filling them tonight or at least one night this week.

Spooling up my broken record. 60S is a fantastic wedge. Zero double-chucks from the sand over my last 5 rounds. Can pop it high or let it run. Use it quite often around the green too, not to mention for pitch shots.

Thanks for the evaluation....you really helped me decide between an S and an M grind

Thanks for the evaluation....you really helped me decide between an S and an M grind

Thanks so much for your very well thought out evaluation on these wedges. It was helpful for me in deciding which grinds to use (S & M) between 54 and 58 wedges.

I hit a ton of balls with these today. Pitch and putt to stretch out a little, then the short game area from inside 50 yards and the bunker.

Love fresh groove wedges and a Z-Star. Ball was stopping dead or spinning on the longer pitches. Trajectory control was easy enough with all of them from longer distances as well.

Since they are different grinds I'm going to talk about each one briefly.

54° (M Grind) - At this loft, I'm usually taking pitch shot from 50 or 75 yards. The occasional greenside shot that I want to run out as well. Rarely open the face on it. Vokey says, "our M grind soles allow you to open the face of the wedge without the leading edge coming off the ground." It's got some heel relief too. I guess in my mind that kind of grind would be great in something like a 58°, but either way it doesn't matter. Nice contact was easy to come by with pitch shots. I opened it up a couple times and it was solid there too.

58° (K Grind) - K Grind is a classic wide sole wedge. Not a bad option to have in a 58°. Not exactly my first choice at that loft, but again that is sort of irrelevant. The benefit of a wide sole is that in softer conditions you'll be able to pop the ball up in the air quickly, and it proved to be really good at that. Same from some shorter rough. Makes the club really bouncy though, so if you're hoping to open up the club on a tighter lie you're going to have a hard time keeping the leading edge low to the ground. Square face pitch shots were easy to pull off - a little higher trajectory across the board. Lots of spin from this wedge on those shots. From the bunker, this could get some major love depending on your angle of attack. This one delivers that classic "thump" and really glides in the sand. For me, it actually delivered a lower trajectory out of the bunker than anticipated and needed a little more 'oomph' behind it to get the ball to the hole. I'm pretty shallow though, even in a steeper swing like a bunker shot. If the sand was really firm I suspect I'd be in trouble with this one a bit b/c it doesn't want to dig. If you're already steep and want a good gliding sole check it out.

60° (S Grind) - Really liked this club. Super versatile grind. Similar to the M in that it's going to allow some help keeping the leading edge down on open face and has some heel relief. Could throw up a low spinny pitch greenside and also swing right through and hit a soft landing lob shot from 50 yards or so. Out of the sand, this was a fantastic club for me. It dug enough that I could swing nice and smooth and it just popped the ball right up with a bunch of spin. I didn't expect to like this one as much as I did, but it was easily my favorite.

No problem. Hope you find something that works for you. Great wedges.

updated my set...

SM5 RAW

46 bent to 45

put KBS C-taper stiff shafts on them.....omg its swing ecstasy!!!

I ordered my Titleist Vockey 56.10 M grind raw black sand wedge on Friday. I had it customized to include a GDI Tour AD 65i regular shaft with a Vokkey Multi-Compound Red grip. I am really excited about getting it next week. It's the little things in life that sometimes keeps us going...Amen!

Eyed these at golfsmith, so pretty.

Back