Wilson Staff M3 Driver - THP Preview

I purchased this driver a couple months ago. One small note is there is not a 10 degree setting with this club (no big deal). I haven't played my best with it yet, but it definitely will put the ball out there if you do your job. Playing around with different lofts and weights are fun and new to me. I look forward to your thoughts Jman.

Can you notice feel/see a difference with the weights? I'm quite curious about it the more I read up on it.

The attention to detail on everything is astounding. The head cover and that little bag are awesome. Shows me that Wilson understands the finer details. I love my BBA but want to swing this.

When I was testing this driver I found the 11 gram weight really increased the amount of spin. I think I've settled with the 7 gram weight. I've played around with the loft, but normally play mine at 9.5 degrees. I like a mid ball flight and this setting allows for that. I will change loft settings if the conditions warrant. My swing speed is around 95, so I'm not a bomber anymore. Old man golf sucks!!!

When I was testing this driver I found the 11 gram weight really increased the amount of spin. I think I've settled with the 7 gram weight. I've played around with the loft, but normally play mine at 9.5 degrees. I like a mid ball flight and this setting allows for that. I will change loft settings if the conditions warrant. My swing speed is around 95, so I'm not a bomber anymore. Old man golf sucks!!!

Thank you for that, that is truly interesting, I just like that there was a definite difference seen. That is exciting.

I love the finish and I will best it's a solid performing club. I just wonder how well it will sell because Wilson isn't the first name you think of when you think drivers. Can't wait to hear more.

Its actually deeper than the R1 IIRC, which is surprising and cook all at the same time.

That means more forgiving, correct? Still learning my equipment lingo.

So many things to like:
  • The matte finish looks awesome on that crown
  • Excellent shaft shoice
  • The settings could really dial this in

FYI, the driver is square at 11.5 degrees. All other lofts open the club face (provided I read the spec sheet correctly!).

That means more forgiving, correct? Still learning my equipment lingo.

Depends, usually it will be on misses high and low on the face, not necessarily as much so across the face though. Something I'll be keeping a keen eye on as I record information.

FYI, the driver is square at 11.5 degrees. All other lofts open the club face (provided I read the spec sheet correctly!).

From what I gather, each loft setting below 11.5 (5 of them) opens the face angle 0.5* (so all the way up to 2.5* on the 8.5* setting) but the design of the sole is somewhat akin to what Cobra does and lets the driver sit neutral still when soled.

I did use this one on the range and for 12 holes today, I'll have my thoughts up here tonight I hope.

Also, took this on a crappy range teebox today:

IMG_1501_zps75ea06ba.jpg

That head looks pretty compact

That head looks pretty compact

It really does, looks smaller than 460 at address IMO, they really did do a good job of the shape and the face depth comp to make this one look really good from the top size wise.

Big, muscley looking face: Check.
Matte, pretty finish: Check
Top-drawer shaft: Check.
Great look at address, with a simple but functional alignment aid: Check

Yup. Hits every last base in my book. That thing has me piqued. My only gripe is that, in the sunlight, the numbers on the adjustable hosel look as bright as the ball.

It really does, looks smaller than 460 at address IMO, they really did do a good job of the shape and the face depth comp to make this one look really good from the top size wise.

It looks very similar to an x2hot pro or and SLDR 430 as far as size. It's intriguing.

Also, took this on a crappy range teebox today:

IMG_1501_zps75ea06ba.jpg

At at least your range has grass, mine didn't. Not fun trying to hit off of sand!

Its all about, as they call it, "Finding the right light", it lest the user find what weight they respond to the best to optimize their swing speed. For many that will likely be the lightest setup, but for some players SS actually goes up with a little more weight. Its really simple fine tuning basically to use in combo with the loft settings to optimize the ball speeds and the launch as well. Pretty interesting thoughts/concept, something I'm definitely going to hone in on for this and the fairway review.

I think it's brilliant that they give you all the weights.

This got my attention. One of my pet peeves with the TM lines with removable weights.

Love the matte finish! Looks easy to hit.

I really like the looks. I tried one a few weeks ago and it felt really good, but was perhaps the loudest driver I've ever heard.

That looks really sharp. I love the deeper face.

Wilson line is looking good. Will certainly give this a swing or two when I have a chance.

Again, I got some time with this one the last couple days both on the course and on the range and have got a few thoughts:

• Yes, it looks smaller than 460 at address, haha. That was W/S's goal with the deeper face and beautifully done pear shape and they nailed it. I had 4 other comment on it this weekend at the course, it grabs eyes in the bag with the engraving, finish, and paint scheme and then just carries that over to address. Well done by W/S.
  • I did tinker with this one in lofts and weights. Mostly, it was set to 11.5 b/c that is the square setting and the stock weight setup, but more on the tinkering here in a bit.
  • Feel (Sound), well, its metallic and its not what I would call a quiet driver. Now, the level of the sound actually varied with the weights, with the light and middle weight it did have some hollow tendencies with a metallic impact sound but not to the point of the more obnoxious drivers we have seen, its just a little loud, not distracting there in those settings. However, it is worth noting that when the heaviest weight was put in the sound DID get more hollow and metallic, essentially it got louder by a fair bit. That all said, the ball still feels like it jumps off the face with a little of that trampoline effect, the sound doesnt make it feel deadened like some with a more metallic sound can tend to do, which is a good thing.
  • Flight. I played it in 11.5, 11, and 10 so far and this driver LAUNCHES the golf ball. The ball flight I was seeing was really really nice, the RIP Phenom seems to be a really good pairing and the ball just wants to climb. It was honestly a pleasant surprise. I will say, it is definitely a fade biased driver, clearly when you adjust the settings lower in loft the face opens more but beyond that it just seems to want to take the left side out of play for me. I want it clear that I HAVE hit draws with it, but its much easier so far to fade it and cut it.
  • Distance. Its average so far, but I don't think that is where this ones "bag" is to be honest. The ball speeds I am seeing aren't there with the longer drivers I have played this year, but they aren't extremely lower either. Its average distance, I really don't know any other way to put that. But with that, it could very well be made up in the next area.
  • Accuracy/Forgiveness. Here you go, W/S's "Control" and "Feel" shine through here, it may not be the longest but it really wants to keep the ball in front of you, even other that tried it the last two days made similar comments. Nothing is overly exaggerated and the variable face really seems to give enough heel to toe to keep the gear ratio in check. Additionally, the depth gives it solid give high on the club face, lower its OK, about what one would expect.
  • Weight changes. Other than the sound, the flight DID alter with the weights, I actually got a higher ball flight and more swing speed on my monitor out of the lighter 3g weight than the initial 7g weight but interestingly enough the more penetrating flight that I got with the 11g weight also produced more ss. This is something I really really need to just sit at the range and intentionally tinker with for a bit to get a better feel for to put into words better for you all.
  • It a solid head so far, yes, its got a more audible tone to it than many, no its not the longest, but it seems really consistent.

As always, if you have a Q, throw it up! I'll get or find you an answer as best I can!

Great thoughts on this driver. When I first got mine, I was really disappointed in the ball wanting to fade. I have hit the ball really well on the range, but could never quite "hook" up with one until my last round. Seeing that 5 yard draw with a piercing flight brought a smile to my face. Out hitting your 20 year old sons--priceless!

Love your thoughts on forgiveness with this, I'd take the loss off distance for increased forgiveness. How would you compare this to the bio cell?

Love your thoughts on forgiveness with this, I'd take the loss off distance for increased forgiveness. How would you compare this to the bio cell?

I hate to draw too many comparisons this early to be honest, not trying to play a cop out here, just want more time and focus on this one on its own first. I will say it definitely isn't as long for me, but that is for me.

Back