Golf holes to get bigger?

Lynchburg14

Reaction score
Handicap
If this has been posted sorry I did not see it. I heard this last night on the radio and thought no way. So after a google search it seems to be true. They are going to make the size of the cup 15inch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bad:

I think that is way to big, what about yall? Here is a link to the article for you to read http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...size-holes-improve-scores-increase-speed.html

If they are going to make them bigger that is fine but go to say 8 inches tops. 15 seems to be to drastic to me, people are going to be shooting 72 all day everyday and twice on Sundays.

If some courses want to do it, fine. I don't think there is any harm.

Believe this is a novelty at most. Cups will remain the same. Hell, they banned long putters.

One of many brainstorm things that is about making the game easier, more attractive, and more enjoyable. I think its all stupid imo.
If one wants a larger cup then simply just count anything within 7 inches of the hole. or Just like if one wants to cut down the time or play 6 hole halves can simply just leave after 12 holes or whenever the heck he wants anyway.

There was an exhibition game between a couple of PGA pros recently with the big cups, and they surprisingly didn't fare much better than normal

I thought this was a Taylormade promotion to get more people interested in golf, specifically young kids. I doubt it will ever turn into the standard.

Dumbest idea ever most shots aren't lost on the green, they are lost trying to get there

I think it's fine for younger golfers to learn on.

If some courses want to do that, sure. I agree it would help kids to start off with. I don't want to play rounds like that though.

My course has what are called family tees on the sides of fairways of par 4s and 5s for beginners, juniors, etc. One of these tees is set about 225 yards from the hole and the other about 125 yards out. I woukd not have a problem if they added a second, larger hile on the opposite side of the green from the normal hole for people that play these tees.

If they are dead set on doing this, they should make it like the 3 point line in basketball. Bigger for the younger guys and smaller as you progress!

I think if the USGA wants to work towards getting more people interested in golf, the "tee it forward" idea is a MUCH more significant movement. People not being embarrassed about playing the correct length for their skill level should be the main concern, not giving someone a larger hole on the green.

It will take some of the sport out of it but I be damn if I lip a 15 inch hole Im taking up tennis!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I think if the USGA wants to work towards getting more people interested in golf, the "tee it forward" idea is a MUCH more significant movement. People not being embarrassed about playing the correct length for their skill level should be the main concern, not giving someone a larger hole on the green.

Agreed on the tee it forward. I'm certain the 15" hole concept will never become the norm, and I don't think that's the USGA's intent. BUT!!, I gotta think being able to play with a 15 inch hole from time to time would be a lotta fun. I'm thinking fun skins games and other golf games. Can anyone imagine a THP gathering, we get there, and find out it's being played with 15" inch holes? It'd have to be a blast right? And I'd bet cash money that not one golfer would say "no, I'm not gonna play with a cup that big." EVERYBODY would jump on it.

Here's a fun idea, but I doubt golf courses would go along. Put a regulation hole, AND some size of larger hole on every green. Let the foursome decide which to play. Again, you could have all kinds of fun with that. Even holes play big cup, odd holes small cup etc., etc............

Funny story......I walked into my local clubhouse this week and noticed all brand new cups, flags and sticks laying on a table. I asked the owner if he bought any of the 15' holes, he said "Hell no, the 4" holes were expensive enough!!"

I thought this was a Taylormade promotion to get more people interested in golf, specifically young kids. I doubt it will ever turn into the standard.

Yep, big idea of TaylorMade CEO Mark King. Hack Golf. Just google..........

I agree 1000%.

I disagree. Tee it forward will not imo bring the masses in to play golf and magically grow the sport. I think you would be fooling yourself if you think that it will or has any big impact on doing so . It has imo nothing to do with it. Firstly for people who do not play they don't even understand or know what tee forward is. People are not going to sit around and say "hey we can tee it forward (or play shorter) so I think we should start playing golf now"
If playing a shorter game is the issue then they can already do that anyway or also simply just go to executive courses and/or par3 courses and I don't see the masses flocking to them.

Generally speaking too many are taking tee it forward in the wrong context as far as pace, ability, and even growing the sport. While a good concept that I do understand and do believe in but only for the "right" reasons but it is taken too far as some sort of fix all for everything and also applied in the wrong light imo.
With due respect, it many times is better players who somehow feel entitled and righteous in dictating all others should tee it forward thinking as if their own little world will somehow be so much better and that is in reality a very far reach from the truth.

Last edited:
I understand the idea behind making them bigger. But why 15"? Why not try something like 5" or 6" first, 15" is way way too big.

Hey I wonder what the greens might just look like after 7 or 8 xtra large cup movements. May be a checker board.

It will take some of the sport out of it but I be damn if I lip a 15 inch hole Im taking up tennis!

That's funny I don't care who you are

Hehe

I'm sure this would be fun once. I certainly don't think everyone will be shooting par. Good players will hit the green and score well but high handicappers will still struggle. In my neighborhood league we have guys who shoot in the 50s and 60s. They don't 5 putt, they take a lot of strokes to get to the green.

A local course (Redwoods in Langley) are now doing 8" cups on Tuesdays as an experiment. I don't have much desire to try it.

I'd settle for 80 yd wide fairways, greens the size of a baseball diamond, and free drop from behind trees.

Back