Wilson Staff FG-Tour M3 Irons - THP Preview

Yea you can see the offset for sure.

So, the XP is an interesting choice to me. Similar irons in the past they've done have been DG's and KBS Tours. Wonder how that will affect performance. There has to be a reason for it obviously.

Yeah, I honestly thought they were straight DG's coming in, the XP caught me off guard a little initially. Lower weights in them for sure, its intriguing.

That is a good looking set of irons

I really like the looks of these, and the specs agree with ms as well.
Looking forward to trying these one day.

Yeah, these look freakin awesome. Almost exactly what I'm looking for in an iron set these days, and the price is much easier to swallow than most of the competitors. Looking forward to maybe hitting this weekend.

Jman asked me to share his comparison pics with everyone;

DSC_0400-L.jpg

DSC_0402-L.jpg

DSC_0403-L.jpg

DSC_0406-L.jpg

I like that a lot Dan thanks for the pics.

I'm drooling!!!

I think these are going to look awesome once they start to wear a little. I hope you get out for a round with these this weekend.

[
IMG_1503_zps68531b49.jpg

6EA2A797-D54B-4785-B2AB-FFB1685D0F93_zpsh3tbmvhg.jpg

Looking good James

Interesting JMan, I just went through the fitting on their website, these are the clubs it recommended. Interested in your thoughts for sure. A little added forgiveness in this line over some of the other FG Tour models is never a bad thing.

Very pleasing to the eyes. Definitely hope the matte holds up a little better then the gloss.

Looks like wilson is bringing it. All this makes the wilson event that much more important to get into :)

this is the kind of set that really intrigues me...

I've spent the last two days getting to know these and have some thoughts of course:

• The black finish is STUNNING. The decision to go matte was a very wise one, ZERO glare no matter the light. Additionally its only two rounds and two range sessions, but the durability has been good, I really think the soles will wear gently and slowly fade a bit, which honestly could look really good, but as of now, no wear at all. The clubs do show tee marks form the par 3's, but they wipe off, faces have shown no marks so far.
  • LOTS of comments on these by those who see them in the bag and then even more when they realize they are Wilson-Staff. Pretty cool, lots of interest in the entire m3 line from people, many talking about the DUO commercials making them look more and realize that W/S does still make higher end golf equipment.
  • Distances are as expected, the 8i is the 155 club for me, pretty much in line with what I expected coming in. Yes, they have traditional lofts, yes, they are shorter than other irons out there with stronger lofts, no its not a big deal as they aren't designed to be distance irons. These are the "Feel" and as W/S says that means "For the player who values precision and shot-shaping, and relies on feel for feedback".
  • The launch is there, the DG XP's are an interesting pairing to see out of W/S as Hawk and I have discussed a bit in here as last we have seen in the FG line KBS Tours and DG's, heavy shafts. The XP's in S come in at a more reasonable (for many) 115g and do offer a bit more spin. That said, they are still considered low launchers but thus fare low is not at all what I have been seeing out of them, they launch easy on a nice mid-high pattern which is really nice to see.
  • Now, the feel (SOUND). Its different than pretty much all of the irons I have reviewed this year, Titleist has their 'click', PING has their deadened impact sound, the list goes on. These are unique in that its a solid sound at impact (almost 'crack' like but NOT AT ALL AWKWARD OR BAD SOUNDING) that is really dense to the hands with the vibrational feedback. Honestly, to me, its a throwback feel/sound which is incredibly fitting coming from W/S. Its different, not at all bad different though, its a bit addicting.
  • Forgiveness has been surprising, better than the TM CB's for me. The relief on the sole gives them a surprising bit of give on shots that come in a little heavy compared to truly thin soled irons. The offset definitely aids the longer irons in launch, and is not at all indicative of causing any left misses. Most impressive is the forgiveness from the toe, not as much as GI irons like the i20's, but more than a true players iron like the S55's etc. You can't get away with murder, obviously, but I'm adamant that these are another set that is blurring that line of players/GI, or just creating a new area alltogether.

As always, if you have any Q's, please feel free to ask, I'm here to help however possible!

That's a great way to describe the sound Jman and that's exactly what it is, not a click or muted sound. Crack is a great way to describe It. Just a different type of feeling, but not unenjoyable.

That's a great way to describe the sound Jman and that's exactly what it is, not a click or muted sound. Crack is a great way to describe It. Just a different type of feeling, but not unenjoyable.

Its honestly addicting, I really feel that way. Its a throwback of sorts to me, which I personally like.

Its honestly addicting, I really feel that way. Its a throwback of sorts to me, which I personally like.

And like I said earlier, I didn't want to throw that thought into your head before you got out there with them. It's just an enjoyable iron, plain and simple.

And like I said earlier, I didn't want to throw that thought into your head before you got out there with them. It's just an enjoyable iron, plain and simple.

Dude, you aren't going to throw any thoughts in my head, so don't fear sharing your thoughts at all. I've got my routine of breaking down these clubs and fully recognize everyone sees/feels/hears them differently.

Will be headed to the range today for some swing work with these in tow, will def have some more thoughts this evening.

A local shop had a couple demo days this weekend and I attended with the sole intention of hitting these. I really liked the looks of the club, the dark, dull color was not distracting. As an aside, I dont know how many folks had hit some of the clubs in the demo rack but the grooves on the face had been close to destroyed. How long does that take? I started with the 8, stiff xp stiff shafts, and smacked away. Consistently hit the ball 140-145, time after time. I found this to be true through out the range of the set. They are not short by any means, , 6 iron about 165, the 4 iron knocking about 190. Not as long as the cb3s i am using by a little bit, not concerning. I found the 4 and 5 iron to be very easy to hit straight, absolutely easier than my current gamers. I do not like the shaft option. I am a high ball hitter currently using kbs tour stiffs. These shaft launch the ball higher than those for sure. With the kbs shafts, and even with a bit more loft, I would get the same distance as the adams. I'm not sure how I feel about the feel. I found it super soft. every shot was soft including thin hits and cutting across the ball. Very little change in the feel. Never once had a hand stinger. I went with the intention of buying these clubs. I did not do so. PS, I also mentioned to the Wilson staff that it would have been nice to have had less a difficult time finding these clubs to check out.

A local shop had a couple demo days this weekend and I attended with the sole intention of hitting these. I really liked the looks of the club, the dark, dull color was not distracting. As an aside, I dont know how many folks had hit some of the clubs in the demo rack but the grooves on the face had been close to destroyed. How long does that take? I started with the 8, stiff xp stiff shafts, and smacked away. Consistently hit the ball 140-145, time after time. I found this to be true through out the range of the set. They are not short by any means, , 6 iron about 165, the 4 iron knocking about 190. Not as long as the cb3s i am using by a little bit, not concerning. I found the 4 and 5 iron to be very easy to hit straight, absolutely easier than my current gamers. I do not like the shaft option. I am a high ball hitter currently using kbs tour stiffs. These shaft launch the ball higher than those for sure. With the kbs shafts, and even with a bit more loft, I would get the same distance as the adams. I'm not sure how I feel about the feel. I found it super soft. every shot was soft including thin hits and cutting across the ball. Very little change in the feel. Never once had a hand stinger. I went with the intention of buying these clubs. I did not do so. PS, I also mentioned to the Wilson staff that it would have been nice to have had less a difficult time finding these clubs to check out.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Interesting thoughts on the XP's vs the KBS Tours, they launch similarly but the XP's do spin a tad more so its not surprising that you saw a higher ball flight out of them. As to the feedback, I have had plenty through my testing and can definitely tell where and when I miss, irond like these don't typically produce "stingers" anymore so I'm not surprised at all you didn't get that sensation. I agree on the long irons, surprisingly nice to hit, I credit alot of that to the soles and the trail edge they put on these.

Had a full LONG range session with these yesterday, some more thoughts:

• Still no sole wear and the faces are holding up tremendously well. I know that there WILL be wear, its inevitable on a black finish, but its incredibly nice to see that it isn't happening right out of the gates like I have seen with other finishes (I'm looking at you black pearl).
  • The sound is really nice, its that lower tone solidity that I really haven't heard out of a set of irons in a long time, its a unique sound, and as I mentioned before I find ti quite addicting.
  • The XP's are a pairing that I think a lot of people who try these (target demographic of players that is) will like, mid launch, not super low spin, good combo in letting the clubs work and helping to get some nice flight.
  • Distances are right on with what I anticipated, looking at the numbers, the ball speeds are solid for this category of iron and I am seeing a 155y 8i, 165y 7i. Gaps are consistent all the way through the set.
  • The gap wedge is fun. Especially around the greens.
  • The grips are killer, they are incredibly rough and not my particular preference (and I'm a uTX/NDMC guy traditionally) but that is a TOTALLY personal thing I recognize, just wanted to throw it out there though.
  • Turf interaction with the sole being a little wider in the tail end is really good, even out of the rough its been consistent and twisting isn't much of an issue, which is really nice to see.

Will be out with them again for another session today.

JMan, Thanks for the unbiased approach to your reviews.It is very Joe Friday…Just the facts and we can decipher them which is awesome.Clearly I like Wilson Staff and love that a brand with this much history in the game can re-emerge as factor once again.
Thanks again.

I know these aren't going to be the longest but are you 15-20 yards shorter or is more like 8 yards shorter. I'm going to assume the comparison is against the SpeedBlades or I25. Not sure if you had a chance to hit the V2 or EZ Forged but is the distance in that range?

I know these aren't going to be the longest but are you 15-20 yards shorter or is more like 8 yards shorter. I'm going to assume the comparison is against the SpeedBlades or I25. Not sure if you had a chance to hit the V2 or EZ Forged but is the distance in that range?

I mentioned distances for the 8i and 7i earlier but they again today were a consistent 155 and 165 respectively and the gaps have continued to be 10 yards which is always nice to see. They are, for me (swings vary, everyone will see different results) 1/2 club shorter than the i25's and a full club shorter than the SpeedBlades, they are also 1/2 longer than the TM CB's (again, for me). They aren't built to be distance irons though, so they are exactly where I expected them to be coming in all things being equal.

As for comparing them to the EZ Forged, those were just not at all a great or long iron set in my opinion. Something with the launch was very off with them IMO.

I have not hit the speed or i25 clubs but have hit the v2 and ex forged. without a doubt, they are by far way easier to hit than the v2. I saw more distance with a well struck v2 iron than with the m3. much higher flight with the m3, a touch too high for my liking. the feel of the v2 is wonderful when done right, i prefer it to the m3. however i would purchase the m3 over the v2 because, once again, the m3 are so consistent and easy to hit time and time again. I hit a really good v2 shot 1 out of 3 times. not so good. Speaking of not so good for me, I hit the new 100 anniversary Wilson irons also his weekend. Surely not for an 18 handicap. lol. with one exception, that being this weekend hitting a graphite shafted 6i for 179 yards uphill, i have not found the ez forged to be for me. I dont care for the look at address, i find them too short in length, and just not impressive. the ez are longer by 10 yards maybe. not as high a ball flight, all shaft related i would suspect. The wilsons feel better and sound better than the ez. They have a more muted, mellow, thwack/thud to them than the ez crack. Now compared to the mp-h4s, those are long, soft, forgiving, consistent, and sound great, given they are 3/4" over standard. I can say my buddy went from his ap2 712 to the ez forged and his striking is improved remarkably.

Back