Staying positive on the course

robmypro

Reaction score
I have read quite a few comments from people here about getting frustrated on the course when "things go bad", so I figured this might be a good time to share a few strategies, and maybe help a few people struggling with this.

I haven't been a member of THP long, but in the time I have been here two things really stand out:

1. There's a tremendous passion for golf among THP'ers.
2. Everyone is trying to improve their game.

So now let's fast forward to the course. You hit a bad shot, miss a putt, whatever. If you find yourself getting upset, and that leads to another bad shot, and possible an unenjoyable round overall, maybe there are strategies you can use to avoid this. I personally think it is a mindset, and if you approach the round correctly, you might turn a few bad shots into a productive session, or even a new personal best.

What things can you do? Take a bad shot off the tee into the rough. It is a great chance to work on that shot, and who couldn't use a little more practice there? You aren't going to practice it at the range. For example, I hit my second shot into a dirt field. And then I hit my next shot a little further, but still in the dirt. Instead of getting pissed off, I just tried to focus on sorting out that shot. Maybe breaking some milestone in the future will depend on hitting this. And btw, my second try was amazing, although I ended up in a bunker. And that presented another opportunity to try a shot I don't normally get to try.

So a bad shot here or there is a great chance to try something new, or work on a lie you might not see too often. This does 2 things. It helps you maintain your passion for the game, and you get to work on things that can make you a better golfer.

Let's say it just isn't your day. Every other shot is just not great. You probably won't set a PB on that day, so forget the score, drop an extra ball or two, and make it a really good practice round, You will actually get to work on things you might not attempt if you were in "scoring mode". Ever wonder if you could clear that pond? One way to find out! Maybe laying up gives the best chance for birdie, but you never tried it. Go for it.

My point is this. In our journey to get better we cannot throw away golden opportunities to get better just because this round won't be our best score ever. When we do that, we not only miss opportunities to improve our game. We also reduce our enjoyment of it. And that just doesn't make sense. So next time you are on the course and the wheels come off (for a shot, a hole or the day), give these strategies a shot.

What strategies do you use? How do you keep things positive - and productive, when it just isn't your day?

I like to look around and realize there's a lot of other things I could suck at, but at least I'm doing something I love and it's usually at a place that's really beautiful.

When I feel like I need to, I take a walk, That is, I let the other person take the cart and walk. It doesn't happen every round and could be many rounds between the walk. But that's what I do to clear my head. Sometimes I walk the whole hole, but usually it's just to the next shot.

I just stop and realize that any double par is better than being dead.

I just stop and realize that any double par is better than being dead.

So true on so many levels, not worth blowing your blood pressure sky high because you hit a bad or had a bad round.

I stop, I put my bag down, and I look around.

I love golf courses. They're so green. I grew up in Virginia. It's a decidedly green state. I've lived in some really not-green places. I currently live in a part of America where green is something of a rarity.

Whenever I'm really troubled by a round, I look at the ground and just enjoy how green a golf course is. I can't help but smile at it.

I love the positive thoughts Rob, and I think you nailed it. Every shot is an opportunity, an opportunity to hit out of a lie you've possibly never been in before, an opportunity to practice a shot that often plagues you, or even a shot you've always wanted to hit, it gets frustrating for me sometimes but it's such a great game filled with so much possibility I have to laugh. No need to get ruffled, the next shot is a new opportunity.

Its a game we play for leisure. If there comes a point where its not fun and we are not having a good time, we should find another hobby.
Take a look around some time on a beautiful golf course. If that cant bring joy while out there playing, no matter how bad or good, its time to find something else to do for leisure.

A bad day at the golf course beats a good day at the office anytime. I find my peace on the golf course...I knows it sound cliche' but I really love the smells, sounds, and the sights while playing. Then to add in people I enjoy being with....it's euphoric at times.

Golf isn't just about being out there chasing a little white ball around trying to make it into the hole. It's about the people you're playing with. You go out to have a good time with some great friends or even to meet new people if you go out by yourself! How do I keep positive on the course, I don't think about it. I like to talk to my fellow players about anything other than golf because it helps both, or all of us, keep our minds off what happened last shot or last hole. Learn about people and you can very quickly learn how to get them to avoid thinking about what they've done and more on what you're talking about.

I have battled the frustration demons for years and still do but am getting better. I try to take deep breaths and look towards the sky. If it seems to be getting worse I will do pushups. Drop down right there by the tee box and crank out as much as I can. It may look wired but it works for me and keeps me from doing something stupid.

So far it is working as it helped me win my 3 round tourney with friends last weekend when I had the lead and took 10 on a par 4. I got my self back in check and played well the rest of the day.

Zen Golf......buy it, read it, live it.

A bad day at the golf course beats a good day at the office anytime. I find my peace on the golf course...I knows it sound cliche' but I really love the smells, sounds, and the sights while playing. Then to add in people I enjoy being with....it's euphoric at times.

It definitely isn't cliche. It is an amazing setting that you really have a hard time finding anywhere else today. My wife even got it our second round, stating "where else can you experience something like this?". Golf courses are amazing. Throw in good company and it's a special time not to be wasted.

Walking 18 and enjoying the beautiful beats working no matter how good or bad the result is that day.

I love the positive thoughts Rob, and I think you nailed it. Every shot is an opportunity, an opportunity to hit out of a lie you've possibly never been in before, an opportunity to practice a shot that often plagues you, or even a shot you've always wanted to hit, it gets frustrating for me sometimes but it's such a great game filled with so much possibility I have to laugh. No need to get ruffled, the next shot is a new opportunity.

Thanks Trout. Every shot IS an opportunity to get better. A round of golf provides practice situations you really can't get anywhere else. I know I wouldn't try to hit off a bumpy dirt patch at home, but maybe that shot gives me a PB down the road. You just have to be able to maximize the time you have to get better, and a big bonus is you get more enjoyment along the way.

Its a game we play for leisure. If there comes a point where its not fun and we are not having a good time, we should find another hobby.
Take a look around some time on a beautiful golf course. If that cant bring joy while out there playing, no matter how bad or good, its time to find something else to do for leisure.

Exactly what Mark Crossfield said on Callaway talks, though he said it with a cool accent. This is something I need to remember before the first tee and after a bad shot, that I'm spending good money and time away from my family for this, and bad shot or not, it should be something I enjoy. I think I focus too much on getting enjoyment from shooting a good score, and I need to focus more on enjoying the round and the score will take care of itself.

Golf is really hard. And I've hit so many bad shots, I've come to accept them. Three years away from the game made me realize how much I loved it, and how much fun it can be when you let it.

Just simply being out there is a blast, and that's the mindset I take.

Well said JB. At the end of the day, it's just a game. You know what they say, "a bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work".

I used to get upset when Id hit a bad shot or miss a short putt but I really dont anymore. Part of it I think is me maturing and growing up as a person and realizing that a bad round of golf isnt the end of the world. I dont play golf for a living, so it doesnt matter if I play poorly. Thats not to say that I dont pile expectations on myself and try to make every shot but missing a putt doesnt determine whether or not I can put food on the table or pay the bills that week, so I dont really get that upset about it.
On any shot, I hit it, analyze why it went right or wrong for a few moments and then I move on to the next one. In golf, too much thinking can be a very bad thing and that was something I was often guilty of doing in the past.

I think sometimes it only comes with age. I played competitive golf through college and I didn't truly know how to play one shot at a time for a full round until I was 40 years old. I also think the real problems that life brings you when your older - death in the family, serious illness, your kids going to emergency rooms, your teenagers having trouble in school or with drugs, make you much calmer about the little things. And certainly a bad shot or hole on the golf course is the smallest of things!

Back