Course Review - Arsenal Island Golf Club - Rock Island, IL

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
y4ymuby8.jpg
This course has some very unique qualities that make it a fun one to check out occasionally. It's not really my favorite style of course (as you'll see soon enough), but it has some history and I do love that. It sits on the Arsenal Island, home of the Rock Island Arsenal, which is a large US Army installation that makes a number of different armaments for the military. In its past, it housed Confederate soldiers in a pretty famous Civil War prison.

4fd402e2b1142.preview-620.jpg

Golf has been played on the island since 1897, while the Clubhouse itself was built in 1906. The course starts out right on the banks of the Mississippi and then winds through a ton of mature trees until eventually ending right back by the river. It's not particularly long, but is quite narrow in many spots, making it a challenging place to play unless you're fairly accurate. Wind is often as issue on the holes near the river as well. However, it doesn't rate terribly difficult compared to other (in my opinion) easier courses in the area.

This was formerly one of the most exclusive clubs in the area, but economic issues eventually caused it to change to a semi-private club. The course saw some very bleak years that just about ruined it, but the US Army's MWR (Morale, Welfare, and Recreation) Division now operates it and has it in pretty good shape most of the year. It took a ton of work for them to bring this course back to the condition it is in today.

The course features Bentgrass tees, fairways, and greens.

Practice area: B-
Driving Range - There are both grass tees and mats, with mats reserved for before/after the growing season. Four sets of flags at 75, 100, 150, and 200 yards. The range itself has an old water tower bridge that protects the 17th hole from range balls, yet people that can carry 250+ are asked not to hit driver for safety. The grass on the range is ok, but often bare in spots and not always mowed as well as it could be. The mats are very old and my advice is to go somewhere else if they are on mats.

The practice green is very nice. Fairly large, undulation similar to what is seen on the course. Nice bentgrass edges for chipping.

Some are not aware, but there is a special designated short game area hidden in the middle of the course between holes 4 and 5. Here, they have maintained a bentgrass fairway that is about 100 yards in length and a small green and greenside bunker. The beauty of this area is that the grass is exactly what you encounter on the course (and other nice courses), giving a great opportunity to work on short and long pitches. The bunker is pretty bad though. The only downside to the location is that it's only accessible by golf cart or car.

Course conditions - B
yne6una5.jpg

Right now we are just entering growing season, so there are some bare spots here and there, but overall this course has above average conditions. Fairway lies are always quite tight, but the turf is soft enough that it allows for easy divots. The rough is typical Midwest rough - tall and grabby.

There are a number of bunkers, most of which are in good shape, with pretty fine sand.

The greens are typically 'muni-quick' and in good shape, though I noticed one that had some issues and needed repair today. Again though, it's quite early in the season.

Layout: B-

sy9u3aja.jpg

The layout is one that you love to hate. With some extremely tight fairways bordered by trees, misses off the fairway often require low punch shots back in play. If you're a good driver of the ball, this can be a fun course to play, but if you're prone to big misses I'd find somewhere else or you will probably lose some balls and get pretty frustrated.

There are four sets of tees and the back tees are reasonably challenging at 6585, though some will certainly wish it was longer. Holes 6-12 are especially challenging holes, with a mixture of length, tightness, and doglegs that require great accuracy to score on.

I rated this a B- not because it's a boring layout, but rather due to my intense hatred for tree lined, narrow courses. Ha! Not so bad these days, but as a beginning player this course was a bit frustrating for me.

Pace of play A

nu3e8y7u.jpg

Marshalls are rare, but I've never had a really long round here. Today I played solo in two hours, though the course was basically empty. Still, I can get around it pretty quick most days.

Price - B+
$40 with a cart on the weekend, which is about $5 more than other local courses in the area, but the Bentgrass does up the value. The typically run a special after 4pm on weekdays that is very popular - pay for 9 and play 18.

Amenities C

u2y6u5yq.jpg

There is a halfway house at the ninth hole (the course doesn't come back to clubhouse at the midpoint), but it is not staffed all that often. Prices are fine. There is a restaurant and bar, but it's not really the type of place you would get a snack from before playing. The clubhouse itself has a small cooler with drinks, but is pretty bare bones in terms of selection. Same goes with golf gear.

Overall B
For our area, it's firmly a mid-level course that has some unique perks. The scenery along the river is special, and something we often take for granted. The Bentgrass tees/fairways/greens are enjoyable to play. The short range and lack of amenities stop it from being a high level facility, but the price is very fair for what they offer.

Nice writeup...very unique and I like the sounds of this hidden short game area. Solid price too especially the after 4 deal

Great writeup Hawk. Some beautiful hole shots there, looks like it would give me fits with all those trees on the left of the tee boxes!

Nice course review Hawk. It's always fun to learn about history of the course. I have to agree tight and narrow are characteristics that can lead to a frustrating round.

• Staff
Thanks guys. It's a nice change of pace every now and then. Gave me fits for many years.

Nice writeup Hawk. This course does seem like it could get frustrating but looks like a fun challenge to me. Decent price and I do like the hidden short game area.

• Staff
Almost forgot one of the cooler things about the course. They take down the flag at 5pm and play Reveille while shooting off cannons. Always appropriate to stop play and face towards the big flag in the center of the island.

Almost forgot one of the cooler things about the course. They take down the flag at 5pm and play Reveille while shooting off cannons. Always appropriate to stop play and face towards the big flag in the center of...

Now that is just awesome. A must play!

That is really cool. Nice write up...I am with you on those damn tight tree lined courses (a staple in the PNW)

While old layouts like that can be frustrating if you aren't accurate that day off the tee, I always enjoy playing courses that have some history to them. Great write-up and pretty solid price for a course that looks to be in good shape.

Well done, I love the look of that building.

Been to the island and seen the course. Would love to play golf with you sometime up there. Got some friends that work there but they hate golf ofcourse. So how does it work for tee times and getting on post since its secured. Do you just drive up and tell them you have a tee time? Thanks for the review and yes this island has some great history.

You just have to show id to get it on the island. Normally they don't even ask where I'm going, but I go there fairly often to use the "secret" practice area.

I have yet to play here.. Think that needs to change this year.

Yes, yes it does. We need to hop in the car and make it up there.
I have yet to play here.. Think that needs to change this year.

I'll keep an eye on conditions and we can tee it up there one day. Hopefully when it's not too windy. Hit it straight or practice your punch shots!

Sounds good Ryan, looks like the weather is going to start being good so hopefully we'll be up there soon. How often would you say you play here durring the summer?
I'll keep an eye on conditions and we can tee it up there one day. Hopefully when it's not too windy. Hit it straight or practice your punch shots!

Sounds good Ryan, looks like the weather is going to start being good so hopefully we'll be up there soon. How often would you say you play here durring the summer?

I used to all the time, but now probably 3-4 times a year. I am stuck by myself so often that I end up going to a course that lets me have the first tee time of the day by myself. I enjoyed it last time out though. It would be a good course for somebody that could work the ball since there are some alternating left/right doglegs.

Nice man, well great review and can't wait to get a round in with you up there.
I used to all the time, but now probably 3-4 times a year. I am stuck by myself so often that I end up going to a course that lets me have the first tee time of the day by myself. I enjoyed it last time out though. It would be a good course for somebody that could work the ball since there are some alternating left/right doglegs.

I played this course quite a few times when I lived in the QCA. Thanks for the review Hawk. I'd like to get back there someday.

I played this course quite a few times when I lived in the QCA. Thanks for the review Hawk. I'd like to get back there someday.

You keep saying that, but you never come! Hehehe. Any time dude.

What year was this? What did you think?

You keep saying that, but you never come! Hehehe. Any time dude.

What year was this? What did you think?

2010. My friend was having his wedding reception there, so part of the deal was he got to be a member at a time when it was a "club"

I love the first few holes, playing down by the River and you also see some of the captain's houses scattered through the course. It was really nice.

That was right before they went downhill I think. They used to have a sweet pool too, but shuttered it when they went public.

That was right before they went downhill I think. They used to have a sweet pool too, but shuttered it when they went public.

You're right, it's not a course that is gonna blow the doors off you. But couple the history and the experience you get by entering and driving through the base, it is a fun experience.

Back