Bridgestone True Balance Putters - Forum Review

anyone going to have one of these in INDY at the end of the month? i would love to see and feel in person?

I'll bring mine with me for sure, I'm sure Dan will do the same!

anyone going to have one of these in INDY at the end of the month? i would love to see and feel in person?

Of course my good man. I'll probably be gaming the TD-03 and you are more than welcome to roll it on the putting green.

I'll bring mine with me for sure, I'm sure Dan will do the same!

sounds like a plan thanks! im going to bring a couple putters as well none as cool as the TB tho

I purchased a 34' TD-03 with the oversize grip that showed up today. I am currently gaming an Odyssey Metal-X #6 which is a flow neck style putter. I only have about 15 minutes time with the True Balance so far, and I rolled it well in that time. There is a lot to like about it. My initial impressions:

* Like Dan one of the bigger adjustments, at least visually, is switching from the flow neck to the plumber neck. This may end up being a good thing. I've putted well with the Odyssey lately, but my misses on shorter putts these last few outings have been to the right because of not letting the toe release through the stroke.
* I feel like the oversize grip is just a little too big for me. I don't have large hands though (glove size: M). I'll probably order one with the standard grip to try side by side to see if i like it better.
* I certainly could feel the difference in the weighting, but I can't say that I felt the head quite as much as I thought I would, but I believe I would feel it a bit more with the smaller grip. I could be wrong.
* The grip doesn't have any tackiness to it. I wouldn't call it slick, but it's really, really smooth and firm feeling to me. I like just a little bit of grab to my putter grip; it keeps my grip pressure really light and relaxed.
* I was actually getting a bit of sun glare off the top of the putter. It was a little distracting but not a deal breaker.
* The putter puts a really, really nice roll on the ball. No skidding, just what looked to be a lot of top spin that made the ball want to dive into the hole when it got close.
* I felt like the putter head naturally wanted to properly gait through the stroke.
* With so much weight towards the head I felt like the feedback on strokes that missed the sweet spot was improved.
* I found that my shorter putts rolled with a bit more "authority", if you will, than with my Odyssey.
* I didn't have any issues with lag putts; I found myself being able to control my pace after a few strokes of getting familiar with it.

I'll put it in play tomorrow, Friday and Saturday. I'll play my home course tomorrow, which has really slow greens right now. The courses I'll play Friday and Saturday have much faster greens, so I'll get an idea of how I perform on it with both.

Last edited:
Please add away. I'm heavily pondering the TD-01, and would love your thoughts (and some in-hand pictures!)

In hand pictures will be posted soon.

Quick question for those who currently have one of the True Balance putters...

Does the black piece of the grip lift up around the edges? If that makes sense.

Does the black piece of the grip lift up around the edges? If that makes sense.

It does. I received some re-gripping instructions from Bridgestone and it sort of makes sense why the edges lift. That Black Medallion is actually a plug that goes into the top of the handle, so don't worry about the cap falling off or anything. If it bugs you, simply take some Aliphatic Resin (Wood glue) and tack glue the cap down. Don't use any type of "Super Glue" though, as the super glue type adhesive might melt the PVA grip. If one of the reviewers would send me an email address, I would be happy to send the Re-gripping Instructions (complete with Photo's) that Bridgestone provided. I don't know how to post a Pdf in the forum :alien:

Hope that was helpful.

JM

It does. I received some re-gripping instructions from Bridgestone and it sort of makes sense why the edges lift. That Black Medallion is actually a plug that goes into the top of the handle, so don't worry about the cap falling off or anything. If it bugs you, simply take some Aliphatic Resin (Wood glue) and tack glue the cap down. Don't use any type of "Super Glue" though, as the super glue type adhesive might melt the PVA grip. If one of the reviewers would send me an email address, I would be happy to send the Re-gripping Instructions (complete with Photo's) that Bridgestone provided. I don't know how to post a Pdf in the forum :alien:

Hope that was helpful.

JM

Great info JM and thanks for sharing.

Thanks to a text from IceyShanks, I was able to find these locally and give them a roll.

First thoughts:
-The grip is VERY different, and I agree on the non-tacky nature of it; I think that will take the most getting used to.
-The size of the grip isn't a problem, but the shape compared to a SuperStroke will also take some getting used to.
-I went into this thinking the 01 was the likely choice, but the neck just didn't work for me, and I'm going to be getting the 03 for the MC with the large grip.
-The weight of the head definitely stands out, but not as much as I was expecting.
-The natural gate effect that Bridgestone touts can be felt, and helps the stroke.
-The insert really does put a nice roll on the ball. Having never played an insert putter before, I think I'm really going to like it.
-Getting a feel for speed of putts wasn't an issue, from about 10', every miss was within 6". Definitely need to continue the stroke, but the putter helps do that.
-I agree with what others have said, the learning curve is going to be very shallow, and the technology will help immensely, but won't take long to get used to.

The first trip out with the smaller grip was a success. I now prefer it.

Johnny, you may have posted this already but I don't see it, but did you regrip from the oversize to the standard yellow grip or did you buy a different TD-03 with a standard size grip? If you regripped, did Bridgestone send you a standard size grip?

Johnny, you may have posted this already but I don't see it, but did you regrip from the oversize to the standard yellow grip or did you buy a different TD-03 with a standard size grip? If you regripped, did Bridgestone send you a standard size grip?

I believe Johnny posted in the other thread that he contacted Bridgestone and they provided him information where to obtain the smaller sized grip with installation instructions.

Thanks to a text from IceyShanks, I was able to find these locally and give them a roll.

First thoughts:
-The grip is VERY different, and I agree on the non-tacky nature of it; I think that will take the most getting used to.
-The size of the grip isn't a problem, but the shape compared to a SuperStroke will also take some getting used to.
-I went into this thinking the 01 was the likely choice, but the neck just didn't work for me, and I'm going to be getting the 03 for the MC with the large grip.
-The weight of the head definitely stands out, but not as much as I was expecting.
-The natural gate effect that Bridgestone touts can be felt, and helps the stroke.
-The insert really does put a nice roll on the ball. Having never played an insert putter before, I think I'm really going to like it.
-Getting a feel for speed of putts wasn't an issue, from about 10', every miss was within 6". Definitely need to continue the stroke, but the putter helps do that.
-I agree with what others have said, the learning curve is going to be very shallow, and the technology will help immensely, but won't take long to get used to.

I knew you'd want to give them a roll.

I was surprised by these, they were lighter than I expected, but the shaft doesn't feel too whippy. The grip has a different feel, but still has some toughness to it that I wouldn't worry about it wearing out too quick.

The insert is the star, it gives you a great roll on the ball for sure. I agree with Ryan the 3 is a nicer headshape for me than the 1 as well. They only had the larger grip, but I really liked the size of that.

I think you all will be good to go with a little green time on sponsor day and in your pre round routine on saturday/sunday.

I'm jealous you'll be rolling these, they are bit like the sasquatch, they are tough to find!

Easy, I contacted Bridgestone. They were very helpful.

Thanks,

Only rolled this bad boy once tonight on course with Canadan but it left an impression. It's be said before but the grip is different. I definitely get the nerf feel. To me the insert felt soft and springy but that could be feedback from the grip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Some really great info you guys. I really want to give this putter a try. Dunno if I can use that thick grip tho as my hands are on the small side

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bridgestone True Balance Putters - Forum Review

In hand pictures of the TD-01 34" model of the True Balance putter by Bridgestone. I wanted to get the pictures up this evening, but will provide feedback after my putting session tomorrow.

Another set of very interesting experiences tonight with the True Balance putter. My course greens remain longer than normal, which leaves me putting a stronger stroke than I am naturally comfortable with -- Which inevitably magnifies most stroke errors as far as I am concerned.

Aside from coming up short yet on line, there is one thing that happens to me from time to time with the putter. I feel like the head gets ahead of the stroke, and I either allow it to wobble offline, or try to autocorrect and force a putt. What cures this is a more deliberate stroke, and it's something I'll try and incorporate over the next few sessions to see if the wobble disappears altogether. It could potentially remain a large grip issue, as I have mentioned having a small grip preference and generally sticking to that size -- but I am sure time will tell.

Audible differences in solid strikes are great though. I can very clearly hear and improved contact sound when I strike the ball well.

Audible differences in solid strikes are great though. I can very clearly hear and improved contact sound when I strike the ball well.

Definitely noticed this tonight during my brief carpet putting session. Just had to roll a few putts. The design of the shaft for the TD-01 almost acts like a right angle alignment aid insuring that the putter is square. (more to come in this as it was dark while I was putting).

Another set of very interesting experiences tonight with the True Balance putter. My course greens remain longer than normal, which leaves me putting a stronger stroke than I am naturally comfortable with -- Which inevitably magnifies most stroke errors as far as I am concerned.

Aside from coming up short yet on line, there is one thing that happens to me from time to time with the putter. I feel like the head gets ahead of the stroke, and I either allow it to wobble offline, or try to autocorrect and force a putt. What cures this is a more deliberate stroke, and it's something I'll try and incorporate over the next few sessions to see if the wobble disappears altogether. It could potentially remain a large grip issue, as I have mentioned having a small grip preference and generally sticking to that size -- but I am sure time will tell.

OK, so, I've intentionally been quiet the last few days as after my first to outings with this I wanted to get a little more to really let all of my thoughts on this sink in.

Indoors I was immediately taken by this one ad the feel (sound) and the roll were consistent and pure again and again, but that was on a 10-foot putting green. Outdoors from variable distances its been a very mixed bag for me so far though.

• The insert is really really good. QUICK forward roll with ZERO skidding but most impressively is the audible feedback, it maintains a nice sound at impact with a more dense click but also the sound changes across the insert to give immediate feedback. Impressive. In fact, the more time I spend there the more impressed I am. I think its easily the most under-talked about portion of the putter.
  • In windy conditions the weight (or lack of) in the hands is really noticed. Now, yes, I know you are HOLDING the putter so it won't blow away or anything, but you can FEEL just how light it is there and it could easily toy with some minds IMO.
  • The counter-counterbalance makes sense to me, it truly does, but I'm seeing similar to Dan in that if you don't make a DELIBERATE and pretty dang firm/strong stroke through the ball at any distance not only have I seen many many putts come up short, but I also found the putter head getting ahead of or behind the hands easily. Again, if you make that firm and deliberate stroke, its OK, but some people just don't putt that way and could struggle a bit as there is definitely a pretty solid learning curve there.
  • The oversize grip is something else, I like bigger grips but I can't help but wonder if it is playing a role in what I'm seeing in the bullet above. Larger is supposed to take the wrists out for people and it does a great job at that on standard putters, but on this type of design with the balance point essentially at the insertion point on the neck I'm not so sure. I'd like to try a standard size grip to compare, but we shall see on that down the road.
  • Durability on the grip has been good, I played in a downpour at times the other day and it didn't hold water or get slick on me. It got a little dirt on it now, but taking a wash cloth to it seemed to do the job which is cool to see. No nicks or anything yet from being in and out of a PACKED stand bag yet and I have to force it in there at times.
  • The head design itself is so damn clean its not even funny, yes, its a classic shape but Bstone did it incredibly well and kept the lines, engraving, and badging super clean on it. Kudos there. It honestly makes me want to try it in the steel shaft at some point if/when I find one down the road.

Now, I'm not trying to come of hyper-critical, thats why I have waited so long and kept getting more runs with it to let all of this rattle around in my head some more. The fact is, its all about the learning curve and learning what you have to do in your stroke (deliberate and firm every time) to get the best distance results. Its no doubt a crazy unique idea that flips things on their heads, so there is no surprise there are some significant differences. I'll have it back out again today to see what I can get up to and how the acclimation goes, even with some struggles, I really look forward to more and more time with it.

James, we agree on so much about this putter, which is interesting because of how our tastes in putters/setups vary.

While I could go through the entire list and give a hat tip to each bullet, I'd like to piggyback on your thoughts of the putter head. I think Bridgestone did an exceptional job with the design, and really, really enjoy the audible feedback (which is extremely clear) of the insert.

I too would love to see how this putter performs with the smaller grip, and am very curious to find out how much of that is playing a part in my experiences with longer putts, and on slower greens.

James, we agree on so much about this putter, which is interesting because of how our tastes in putters/setups vary.

While I could go through the entire list and give a hat tip to each bullet, I'd like to piggyback on your thoughts of the putter head. I think Bridgestone did an exceptional job with the design, and really, really enjoy the audible feedback (which is extremely clear) of the insert.

I too would love to see how this putter performs with the smaller grip, and am very curious to find out how much of that is playing a part in my experiences with longer putts, and on slower greens.

It is interesting, as you and I are definitely different in most aspect on putters as far as CB and grips and such.

I just can't help but wonder about the smaller grip and the feel through the stroke, its in my head.

It is interesting, as you and I are definitely different in most aspect on putters as far as CB and grips and such.

I just can't help but wonder about the smaller grip and the feel through the stroke, its in my head.

Additionally, I can't stop pondering the standard weighted shaft in this head, and how it responds with the insert.

While the entirety of this innovation is impressive, I think right now the spotlight is on the insert/head.

Paging Mr. Mojo, is the standard grip truly standard size or is it even a little on the hefty side? The butt end of the larger grip was a little big for my taste, but not sure if standard would be too small.

Standard is pretty standard, if not just a touch smaller than a standard.

Additionally, I can't stop pondering the standard weighted shaft in this head, and how it responds with the insert.

While the entirety of this innovation is impressive, I think right now the spotlight is on the insert/head.
I agree, the insert is a top notch feature for sure. Felt great.

I will be getting out for another round with the TD-01 tomorrow.

Impressions from my first time out yesterday.

There is a definite difference in weight feel in the putter in shaft. Most would think that would be a difficult feeling to overcome, however IMO that is an oversight. My first putt I rolled was definitely way long as I felt I needed to hit the ball just a little harder. From there on out my speed was spot on. Even with the saturated greens from the two days if rain.

The feeling of the grip for me felt great. Like others have mentioned feels and looks just like the composite that your tennis shoes are made of. The bright yellow is an eye catcher.

I saw signs of brilliance with this putter yesterday as I dropped an uphill 15' on the first hole and followed up by a 25' downhill putt. On our holes where I didn't trust my stroke the putts were either just a little short or long.

Talk about going a putter that will provide you with confidence on the green.

Back