Laying up on par5s, what do you use?

I've been trying to change my process on the course to not always be balls to the wall. I've been laying up more on par5s lately and getting some positive results. Usually it's an iron to give me a good number into the green. Sometime the elements dictate a wood or longer club.

What do you guys and gals use? Do you find this shot to be easy or difficult?

Depends of course on how long the hole is and how well the drive ends up. If I know I can't get there, I'll lay up to a number if possible, which for me would be 80/90 yards. If down wind and a chance to get there, I'll go all out with a wood or hybrid.

Whatever will get me to a number that is comfortable for me. That being said, I'd probably end up going with my "go-to" club in the bag and that'd be the 7 iron. Unless it makes me more than 100 yards out, 7 iron is a great option for me and I am super comfortable with it. That was last year though and this year the 4/5 iron is deadly.

If reaching in 2 or getting to within short chipping distance is not a possibility, I pull whatever will get me to about 80 yards from the green.

Depends on the hole and wanting to hit 80-110 on my third shot. That being said I hit the 7 wood more often than other clubs for the second shot.

I'm always looking to get to that 100 to 135 yard zone. Not sure why, I can't hit the green from that distance either.....

I know what you mean. Nothing like playing it safe and still finding a way to screw it up.

My driver and I are fighting right now so generally I hit 5i, 5i, then 7i or 8i on most par 5s

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

My goal is get from 95-100 yards out after my lay up shot. Usually, at the course I play, that means a 5 iron - depending of course on how the tee shot is hit.

Great question, If my golf swing is acting like a good boy, After my Tee shot I usually use a 5 iron on Most Par 5s, If it is a exceptionally long hole I may use my 3H to get it in to position and have anything from a 7 to some sort of wedge depending on hole length, The only way I can Bomb them now is with a B-52, I used to average 280-310 before I started having my Knee problems, I have since had surgeries to make them as good as new, How ever Now I basically hit them 240-270 tops...Lost a lot of swing speed and have aged 10 years so I dont think the Distance will ever be as long as it was and I don't mind as long as i can put the second shot on the dance floor

If I can't reach the green in two I use whatever club will put me 110 out. That's my favorite distance.

I actually find the layup on a par 5 tough, I always seem to get better results when I play more aggressive than when I don't commit to the layup and hit it even worse.

I would not be considered a long hitter so most par 5 holes are lay ups for me. I prefer to layup to within 80-130 yards which puts a short iron in my hands, this seems to work best for me.

It depends on the length of the hole, of course. But, I prefer to hit any club that can get me to within 85 to 120 yards. That's my best scoring range with my wedges. I'll hit the club called for that can get me to 100 yards. That way if I nut it, I'll be around 85, and if I slightly miss it I'll be no worse that 120. Of course, there are some monsters that I have to hit 3-wood just to get inside 150. LOL

Depends on the hole, my thought on laying up is avoid trouble, give me the best angle into the green, and leave my self within one of the three yardages that give me a 3/4 wedge in. Which typically gives me a higher probability of scoring.

do I find it difficult? At times I do. But it's more cause I too like to play "balls to the wall" at times. Laying up is a relatively new thing for me, so it's mentally more difficult.

I love the comments from the guys who say they always lay up with the same club. To me, that makes no sense at all. Does every par 5 play to the same length? Does every par 5 have hazards or obstacles placed the same? Do they hit every tee shot exactly the same? Do they just not grasp good course management and the idea of planning out the hole?

Just wondering is all. :wtf:

Whatever club leaves me 90 yards out, Lob wedge distance to the hole. Sometimes that is a 9 iron, sometimes a 3 wood. Most commonly I'm hitting one of my mid irons as a layup shot.

I have never found a par 5 I could reach in 2, so I always lay up. I use to automatically pull 3 wood thinking I wanted to get as close to the hole as possible, but last year the course I played had a fairway that got really, really narrow up by the green. It took a while, and several balls in the woods, but I finally figured out that it is a much better play for me to lay up to a yardage rather than just get as close as I can. It depends on the layout of the hole, but I try and hit the shortest club that will get me inside of the 150 yard mark.

If I'm looking at 240 or more out, I will always lay up, no point for me to try and reach it with my 4 wood. Less than that, and given there aren't a lot of hazards in the way, I'm laying up to the safest spot 120 or less. That could be a whole lotta clubs depending on yardage and lie. Probably something like 7 or 8 iron since I know I can control those pretty well.

Currently 100 is my number to go for. I am also real comfortable +/- 10 of that , so its a safe number to go for. As always course conditions or hazards may alter the plan, but 90% of the time 100 out is where I want to be.

I would for me I have 2 numbers I love 100-110 and 140. I feel I am really good and know exactly what I am going to do with those 2 shots. I have been trying to play to those distances and has really helped with my scoring. Worse case these days for me on a par 5 is a par it seems which is a great thing.

My two best distances are 145 and 85 so I would use whatever club gets me to either of those distances without having to step on said club.

For me it depends on too many variables. I don't try to go for a second shot that will result in some comfortable 3rd shot. I also don't want to go with anything longer than a 5 iron regardless of remaining distance because of consistency issues with the longer clubs.

I'd rather take 4 to get on instead of 5 due to a mis-hit 3/4i or 3w attempt.

For me it all depends on the hole layout and where trouble is or isn't. Almost always going driver off the tee on a par 5 and trying to get myself between 100 and 120 depending like I said where trouble is and layout of the hole.

Whatever club gets me to 75yds.....I call it my "wheelhouse" number....my half wedge favorite shot

Back