Weight lifting and golf

prrc

Reaction score
Handicap
Does any one have a routine that they like that doesn't destroy there golf game. I love the gym. My work out consist of more of a body build route. This kills my golf game. Keeps me stiff sore muscles all the time and about as flexible as a new broom. I need to change what I do in the gym. can anyone suggest a routine that will still let me go to the gym and not have my golf game suffer.

I lift for power. Big bar lifts and compound exercises. I find that body building type programs aren't very beneficial for anything. If your weight program is limiting range of motion, then something is wrong with the program. IMO. I'm not a fitness professional

Ive been gyming since about 15 (now 35) and from 20-25 went hardout & went from a weedy 70kg to 85kg. When I took up golf at 30 & found my flexibility was pretty average. So I made an effort to do more stretching but about two years ago I took up yoga. Help flexibility heaps. Now I just do a basic weights routine twice a week to keep some form & do yoga twice a week + some resistance training at home. Ive dropped 4 kgs but gained speed ;-)

As a life long weight lifter and now 55 yrs and I have all the injuries to show what improper working out will do for you. I spent from 16 to 30 trying to reach 250 lbs and the rest of the time (mostly the last 10 years) trying to get back to 200 lbs.

Stay away from heavy bench / shoulder pressing IMO, I now have the shoulder problems to show for what I did. Yeah benching 300 lbs is cool at the time, now it just seemed dumb and hurts every morning.

I still work out almost everyday but it is lighter weight, core & leg work and Cardio, its hard to believe when you are young what the long term affects will be to being fit or muscle heavy and of course notice all the skinny guys driving it 290- 300 yds!

I'm all for fitness, but one of the best players I know is 55 years old with a bad hip and 100 lbs overweight, and he plays off of a +1 handicap. Go figure......

Mix in some yoga. Lifting is fine but you need flexibility. Those long drive guys don't seem to have an issue

HoosierGolfer,
That just proves it is the technical level of ball striking, putting (and the mind) that makes the score not the clubs or the body. Wish I could get that ingrained in my thick head it would save me a ton of money.

I was lifting weights before I took up golf so my flexibility was shot before I ever picked up a club. Luckily I was able to adapt a swing to my lack of flexibility and it works fairly well for me. I quit working out for a while but recently picked up back up 3 years ago, I'm no expert but I try to stretch as much as possible now and try to avoid heavy shoulder and back work (prior injuries) and my game has not suffered since starting to work out again. The only advice I can give is be smart...don't overdo it. I only lift twice a week and see no need to do it more often.

I wish I had understood the importance of stretching in my younger years.

HoosierGolfer,
That just proves it is the technical level of ball striking, putting (and the mind) that makes the score not the clubs or the body. Wish I could get that ingrained in my thick head it would save me a ton of money.

It takes some natural ability and then the mind.......

My point is, many of the best golfers I know are far from being "physical fit". Just look at Monty on the Champions Tour. Not the model of being in great shape, but he can still play. I believe that flexibility is key.

Sounds like some of you guys have the same problems as I do with lifting. I have been gym rat for years. Love the way it make me feel and look. But not so much for my golf game. Its really hard for me to walk into the gym and not leave it all on the table. Love the pump. I will look into the yoga.

i still lift i have more chest/arm shoulder bulk then most from my football playing days but i think it hurts my golf game more then help. i would say for just golf i would stay lean and strong and flexible.

Bulking up too much is not a recipe for good golf. Lean and strong is good where as too much muscle in this sport is a no no.

I would highly recommend the book "Fix You Body, Fix Your Swing". I bought it this year after noticing a reduction in my shoulder turn since shoulder surgery at the end of 2011. . Since that surgery I've had a full right knee ACL reconstruction, left meniscus surgery, and right arm/wrist surgery complete with titanium plates. With these surgeries and approaching age 50, I felt I had to do something. This book was exactly what I needed. I have lifted weights for decades(I have lean genetics and can't get bulky) but have never had a golf specific gym routine until now. After implementing the exercises from the book, which only take about 15 minutes 3 days a week, I'm actually longer than I have ever been.

I played with a buddy who had a new Garmin last week, and 9 of my 10 tee shots with my Callaway 2Deep were between 252 and 276 yards. 6 of the 9 were in the 260's, which means I'm about 15 yards longer than I've ever been. A no wind flat tee shot longer than 280 was rare before and now I'm regularly getting them out in the 280's. 3 of my golf buddies have all run out and bought X2 Hot 2 or 3Deep's, but I told them they need the book!

Last edited:
Bulking up too much is not a recipe for good golf. Lean and strong is good where as too much muscle in this sport is a no no.

I agree and disagree. The problem with bulk, the way a lot of it is achieved is with short reps. Limiting range of motion. Full range of motion, dynamic stretching lifts, and actually golfing will keep enough flexibility. it not about working out too much. It's about working out wrong.

I would also look into How to Be a Supple Leopard by Kelly Starret. It has hundreds of mobility exercises (not just stretching because they are different) for the entire body. I do a handful daily and it is amazing.

I would highly recommend the book "Fix You Body, Fix Your Swing". I bought it this year after noticing a reduction in my shoulder turn since shoulder surgery at the end of 2011. . Since that surgery I've had a full right knee ACL reconstruction, left meniscus surgery, and right arm/wrist surgery complete with titanium plates. With these surgeries and approaching age 50, I felt I had to do something. This book was exactly what I needed. I have lifted weights for decades(I have lean genetics and can't get bulky) but have never had a golf specific gym routine until now. After implementing the exercises from the book, which only take about 15 minutes 3 days a week, I'm actually longer than I have ever been.

I played with a buddy who had a new Garmin last week, and 9 of my 10 tee shots with my Callaway 2Deep were between 252 and 276 yards. 6 of the 9 were in the 260's, which means I'm about 15 yards longer than I've ever been. A no wind flat tee shot longer than 280 was rare before and now I'm regularly getting them out in the 280's. 3 of my golf buddies have all run out and bought X2 Hot 2 or 3Deep's, but I told them they need the book!

Thanks buddy and I will definitely have to order this one!

I could see how having a rigorous strength training routine could make golf tough with the delayed onset muscle soreness that comes with that. Being sore and trying to play golf didn't work out too well for me. I lifted weights a lot back in the mid 90's, wanted to be a body builder, but just don't have the genetics to put on any real size. Despite not being able to get "big", the extra strength I did gain helped me out immeasurably with golf I think, especially in my wrists and forearms. I hit the ball further and with better control than I ever did before going down the wannabe bodybuilder path.

Interesting thread. Been a musclehead all my life and still train hard as I near 50. Golf is a new passion and training my ass off on Sunday means my Monday game will be terrible. I read Joey D's book then bought the Joey D golf dvd's and bands. I alternate between regular workouts and Joey D and try to avoid a max bench or back day before playing.

I find my game is improving and I can use my muscles in a functional way.

Life's too short to not have big arms.

Interesting thread. Been a musclehead all my life and still train hard as I near 50. Golf is a new passion and training my ass off on Sunday means my Monday game will be terrible. I read Joey D's book then bought the Joey D golf dvd's and bands. I alternate between regular workouts and Joey D and try to avoid a max bench or back day before playing.

I find my game is improving and I can use my muscles in a functional way.

Life's too short to not have big arms.

I would rather have strong arms ;)

Back