3 wood in or out of the bag

esg777

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So the season is finally started in the NY. My driver has been very good. So I have been pulling the driver on a lot more holes and it is working out. So the club that I am really not using is my 3 wood. I do not have a lot of confidence with my 3 wood off the deck.

So I have been thinking of adding a 16* hybrid into my bag because I am super confident with that club off the deck or a 4 wood. Has anyone else done this? What has the yardage difference been?

I prefer woods over hybrids. I carry a 3deep, 4, and a 9. I don't seem to suffer from any gaps. But it is really a personal thing, I would say go to a course or big box store and hit a few to figure out which is best for you.

I have my driver....and a 4 wood and 7 wood combo...r11 TP...with stiff shaft.

I like my 3 wood but the 4 wood is so reliable and trusty....I had to remove the 3 wood.

I have an RRZ tour 5 wood, I love that thing and can hit at as long as a lot of 3 woods since it's easier to get in the air.

I always game the clubs I'm most comfortable with. If there's a larger gap at the long yardages, I'm ok with that. If I were you, I'd hit what I was most confident in.

I personally prefer fairway woods over hybrids, so I'd go with a 4 wood. But I agree with others, it comes down to what you're comfortable hitting.

Huge debate for me right now but I am strongly leaning towards driver/4w for me. With the loft I am playing now it almost eliminates a 3w

I went with thw 4 wood 3 hybrid combo. I hit the 4w longer than the 3w! Guessing that the loft increse isngiving me the extra carry that I need. This was strange to me at first because with driver and irons I am a high ball hitter but with woods and hybrids its all low line drives for me. And yes I know it is all in my technique!

I guess I will hit the PGA Superstore and hit 4 woods and 16* and 17* hybrids and see what happens.

So the season is finally started in the NY. My driver has been very good. So I have been pulling the driver on a lot more holes and it is working out. So the club that I am really not using is my 3 wood. I do not have a lot of confidence with my 3 wood off the deck.

So I have been thinking of adding a 16* hybrid into my bag because I am super confident with that club off the deck or a 4 wood. Has anyone else done this? What has the yardage difference been?

I have some issues with my 3-wood as well, but I'm going to replace it with a 5-wood. I think a 5-wood and a hybrid would be a good combo.

I have some issues with my 3-wood as well, but I'm going to replace it with a 5-wood. I think a 5-wood and a hybrid would be a good combo.

Agreed sir.

For me, the 3-wood is a great little club off the tee when its a narrow fairway and I dont have a lot of margin for error. I personally dont see where a 16* hybrid would be a huge improvement because its almost the same loft with a shorter shaft.
A 4-wood is certainly an idea though, as most people dont swing fast enough to really hit a 3-wood well. Personally, I dont hit my 3-wood off the deck simply because I cant get the ball high enough in the air with it, so my 19* hybrid is a much better option.

I have my driver....and a 4 wood and 7 wood

I played this set up before I got into hybrids. It made for some nice consistent gaps at the top of the bag.

Play to your strength. Go with what works for you.

I just swapped out my 3 wood this season for a SLDR 2 Hybrid. Playing around with the exact loft still since it's early in the season. I just hit hybrids better and feel more comfortable with it off the deck. I also feel like I hit the hybrid longer off the deck and tee because I'm making better contact. My dispersion is tighter as well. While it's still very early, my initial thoughts are I'm glad I dropped the 3 wood.

I have issues with a 3W for whatever reason. Playing a M1 Mashie at 15.5* and I think I will go with 4W at 16* for the THPC. Probably 10.5 on the driver too.

When I went to purchase a new 3 wood last year the fitter ended up recommending a 5 wood to me instead of a 3 wood. I have lost too much club head speed to effectively use a 3 wood any more. Just a fact of life for a senior golfer.

I reserve my 3w for tee shots only. I use 4w and hybrid off the deck and tee if need be. I get roughly 15 yards more carry with my 4w vs 4h.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I love my 3-wood, but my friend hammers his 16* hybrid, so it's all a matter of looks and confidence.

I can't hit a 3 wood off the deck either. I use a TM R11s 5-wood that is adjustable. I keep it at the normal loft - 19 degrees I think - and it is great from the rough or fairway as well as off the tee on tight holes. Along with a TM RBZ 4 hybrid which is 22 degrees, I feel I have the "long" shots covered.

As everyone always recommends, try and hit all the clubs you can prior to purchase. Good luck.

I have always used a 2 hybrid @ 19* with more consistency than a 3W off the deck. However, this year I bumped the 3W loft up to 16* and cut the club shaft about 1/2" (playing at 42.75" I think). This really helped with confidence and improved ballstriking. Now I use both 2H and 3W pretty equally either off the teebox or fairway. I have tinkered with a stronger hybrid in the past but didn't care for it.
Go for what works man!

I prefer a 4 wood over a hybrid in the 16 degree range since I like my ball to run out some when hitting in this distance. I couldn't hit a 3 wood off the deck so I play a 4 and it works just fine. Even had to tip my shaft a bit to bring the ball flight down.

I haven't played a 3 wood in a while and it was because of another thread on this site that got me thinking... I was playing an 18* 5 wood for a while, the next club down from my driver, and it was a gem! I wanted a little more yardage so I am currently playing a degree stronger 4 wood and it is perfect for me. Easy enough to hit from the deck and tee, and fills the distance gap I need. Looking down at it, it looks friendly which I think is always important no matter what club you are using.

I havnt played a 3w in quite some time. Couldnt find one I liked and could hit. I decided to try again, and picked one up from a fellow thp'er and love it. I dont hit it off the deck to much but off the tee it is money

I hit the PING G 25 16.5 and I was smoking the ball. I was hitting it consistently 240 with a tight dispersion. I am going to get fit and see how the PING compares and most likely add a 4 wood

Back