Bridgestone True Balance Putters - Forum Review

More practice with the true Balance putter today, and a continued belief that a firm grip and a firm stroke are paramount to a successful putt.

I definitely feel like with the 5-7 footers, that firm stroke is a real benefit for accuracy, but it's pretty easy to burn it by the hole. Certainly a reduction of wobbling up and down in the hands, but there remains a small chance that the head or the grip get ahead of each other and it causes some notable accuracy issues.

My favourite part of the putter is still definitely the head. I love the traditional look, and I am a huge fan of how audibly different good strikes are on the insert. I hope Bridgestone can find a way to highlight the head/insert because it's been wonderful. I am very curious to know how it sounds/feels with a standard shaft/grip on it.

More practice with the true Balance putter today, and a continued belief that a firm grip and a firm stroke are paramount to a successful putt.

I definitely feel like with the 5-7 footers, that firm stroke is a real benefit for accuracy, but it's pretty easy to burn it by the hole. Certainly a reduction of wobbling up and down in the hands, but there remains a small chance that the head or the grip get ahead of each other and it causes some notable accuracy issues.

My favourite part of the putter is still definitely the head. I love the traditional look, and I am a huge fan of how audibly different good strikes are on the insert. I hope Bridgestone can find a way to highlight the head/insert because it's been wonderful. I am very curious to know how it sounds/feels with a standard shaft/grip on it.

I got to carpet roll the two models for about 5 mins during my fitting so I don't have a whole lot to offer, but I do like the 2 head shapes. I think I prefer the 01 mallet style more so than te 03 blade style which kinda of surprised me. The place I was at only had the bigger grip sizes tho and definitely agree that the smaller grip size would feel better IMO.

I didn't roll the True Balance during my round today, but I took what I experienced yesterday, along with a quick comparison to my gamer before the round today, with the intent of determining what the Bridgestone technology DOES accomplish rather than what it's not doing.

One thing I really noticed was on the shorter putts. This concept of gating and the lack of the putter wobbling I think really rings true. While I don't generally have a ton of issues with this, I could definitely feel my gamer trying to fall out of that line more than what I have experienced with the True Balance.

I'd like to also continue to focus on the insert, because I think it's the best feature of the putter. Having that audible variation on strikes was so nice, and aside from missing putts, gave a very clear indication whether an improved stroke was needed, or whether the putter needs some glasses to read the line haha!

I'll be back with more later this week.

I finally got to see one of these in person. The course I played at had a TD-01 34", which is way too short for me, but I took a few strokes with it. Very different from what I currently game, but it felt easy put a repeatable stroke on it.

The grip has a nerf-like feel, which I like.

Additionally, I can't stop pondering the standard weighted shaft in this head, and how it responds with the insert.

While the entirety of this innovation is impressive, I think right now the spotlight is on the insert/head.

What are you thinking for your MC putter? True Balance or traditional?

What are you thinking for your MC putter? True Balance or traditional?

I'm really not sure right now Neb. I think there is plenty of merit to playing the counter-counterbalance, but more than likely in the standard grip size.

I should be receiving my putter tomorrow and I am excited to try it out. I also just read on the bridgestone website that the grip is eva foam. This is great for me since I work with eva foam a lot to make the grips for my fishing rods. I could proly make my own grips for it very easily and in different colors.

I have 3 rounds in with mine so far, 2 of which were on really slow greens on my home course, the third on a course with nice, quick bent grass greens. As I expected, the putter performed markedly better on the faster greens. I was playing in a scramble that day and, off the top of my head, rolled in 4 putts that were in the 10-15 foot range and burned the edges on a couple of others. Distance control was not an issue (I do tend to have problems with my pace on faster greens). Stroke wise, what has really worked for me with this putter is to make sure to take a nice, smooth backstroke, to use the length of my backstroke determine my pace and sort of allow gravity to start the downstroke, really trying to feel the weight of the putter head and let it flow. When I do that, the putter head just wants to gait right down the line and put a nice roll on the ball.

I'm still of the opinion that this oversize grip is just a bit too big for me. It just isn't comfortable in my hands. I have a standard size grip on order. I'm hoping to have it on by the end of the week.

Last edited:
I should be receiving my putter tomorrow and I am excited to try it out. I also just read on the bridgestone website that the grip is eva foam. This is great for me since I work with eva foam a lot to make the grips for my fishing rods. I could proly make my own grips for it very easily and in different colors.

If you try this I am really interested to see how it goes!

If you try this I am really interested to see how it goes!

It will take me awhile to do a little more research on the current grip as far as weight and design go. But once I get that it will be fairly easy to do.

I have 3 rounds in with mine so far, 2 of which were on really slow greens on my home course, the third on a course with nice, quick bent grass greens. As I expected, the putter performed markedly better on the faster greens. I was playing in a scramble that day and, off the top of my head, rolled in 4 putts that were in the 10-15 foot range and burned the edges on a couple of others. Distance control was not an issue (I do tend to have problems with my pace on faster greens). Stroke wise, what has really worked for me with this putter is to make sure to take a nice, smooth backstroke, to use the length of my backstroke determine my pace and sort of allow gravity to start the downstroke, really trying to feel the weight of the putter head and let it flow. When I do that, the putter head just wants to gate right down the line and put a nice roll on the ball.

I'm still of the opinion that this oversize grip is just a bit too big for me. It just isn't comfortable in my hands. I have a standard size grip on order. I'm hoping to have it on by the end of the week.

It's impressive how similar our opinions are between green speed, putter flow and gating, as well as the grip.

Nice thoughts Easy. Thanks for sharing!

I really need to get more time with this putter this week. Initial thought was the grip may be too big, but I also think being able to try the larger grip out might be better than going into the smaller grip blind. I think true balance is the way to go for me though.

So, the one thing that I can say for certain is that this has been a bit of a mixed bag for me so far, some continued thoughts:

• The insert is fantastic, not at all, to me, what I consider a traditional insert (a la WHP) but rather an insert that puts off audible feedback similar to that of milled putters that I really enjoy with the deeper click off the face and the grooves thus far have given every indication of being extremely nice at the generation of forward roll. I have literally had NO skidding out of this one which is always incredibly nice to see out of a putter as it typically means more consistent distances and ability to hold the line.
  • It looks tremendous. It just does, even the black shaft just looks incredible.
  • The balance to the head is really good performance wise for me inside of 6 feet, but when I get outside of that the battle seems to become staying committed to not letting the head outpace or fall behind my hands throughout the stroke which has lead to an increased amount of tension in my putting posture/technique. Focus comes onto maintaining that rather than just letting the putter flow at times for me on the course.
  • I have nothing against the grip honestly the more I think on it, I don't think its the cause of the issues I personally have seen, its just such a different overall concept and it comes back to that.
  • Its easy to say you have to stay committed through the stroke and such, most will come back to that and we have seen in here that its a commonality that "as I adjust and stay committed" and the likes, but the predication of pace and runout based on this is what has me a bit baffled, its intention is to free the stroke and allow the putter to gait on its own and on the short putts it does so brilliantly for me, but on the long range lags it teeters on being a bit of work to just focus on keeping the head in line with the hands to ensure proper distance rather than just focusing on the length of the stroke.

I want to be clear I'm not trying to be negative or overly critical, I'm just trying to convey what I am seeing. Rest assured I'll keep on pluggin away to see how the acclimation continues as it really is a COMPLETELY unique concept and I fully acknowledge that more time may make a large difference.

I want to be clear I'm not trying to be negative or overly critical, I'm just trying to convey what I am seeing. Rest assured I'll keep on pluggin away to see how the acclimation continues as it really is a COMPLETELY unique concept and I fully acknowledge that more time may make a large difference.

Be critical. If all reviews are great, then no review has any value. If all feedback is positive, then the OEM has nothing to improve, and then won't understand why it isn't selling (because it isn't working for others). I'm all for it.

Also, your point about time is a good one. While some things just don't work, in many cases, with time and reps, things can work. I think that's especially true in putting.

I will say that I played a graphite shafted putter for about 10 years and absolutely loved it. It looked good. It sounded good. It felt great. The weight was light, but distributed towards the head. I tend to think the benefits we've seen out of graphite shafts in other clubs would carry over to the putter as well and think that this will come sooner or later.

Be critical. If all reviews are great, then no review has any value. If all feedback is positive, then the OEM has nothing to improve, and then won't understand why it isn't selling (because it isn't working for others). I'm all for it.

Also, your point about time is a good one. While some things just don't work, in many cases, with time and reps, things can work. I think that's especially true in putting.

I will say that I played a graphite shafted putter for about 10 years and absolutely loved it. It looked good. It sounded good. It felt great. The weight was light, but distributed towards the head. I tend to think the benefits we've seen out of graphite shafts in other clubs would carry over to the putter as well and think that this will come sooner or later.

I have zero problems being critical, but my job is in understanding that every club works great for someone and because it doesn't necessarily immediately do so with me doesn't mean it won't for others. I want that understood. Negative for the sake of negative benefits no one.

This is nothing like a traditional graphite shafted putter in terms of weight FWIW, this truly ultralight, to the point that when you have 35 mph winds, you can really feel the wind messing with it and the ultralight grip. Its a wickedly strange feeling.

I have zero problems being critical, but my job is in understanding that every club works great for someone and because it doesn't necessarily immediately do so with me doesn't mean it won't for others. I want that understood. Negative for the sake of negative benefits no one.

This is nothing like a traditional graphite shafted putter in terms of weight FWIW, this truly ultralight, to the point that when you have 35 mph winds, you can really feel the wind messing with it and the ultralight grip. Its a wickedly strange feeling.

Wild........... I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. A putter is a club that even if light (e.g. a 335 gram Seemore FGP), that I want to feel solid.

Just got a package from THPHQ. Going to try her out on the practice green right now. Thank You again to Bridgestone and THP for the amazing invitational prizes.

I will have more thoughts later but after carpet putting it has me very interested in how it will do on the course. I can usually grab a putter and instantly know if it will work or not. This one I am unsure but it sure went exactly where I wanted it to carpet putting.

pa9era6u.jpg

yhe6y7as.jpg

jave8a3e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good man, looking forward to your non carpet thoughts

I've been doing a fair bit of carpet putting over the last day, with a variety of putters. On my uneven carpet, it's very very obvious when solid forward roll is being produced, as the ball tends to bounce and come up well short when not struck on the button with most putters.

For the True Balance, I was seeing exceptional roll. The star of this putter continues to be the insert, producing great roll and extremely clear audible feedback on good contact. It was almost like the ball was on a track on the ground the way it just pulled itself across the room.

Back to the course tonight for more feedback. Anything you want me to keep an eye on?

Just got a package from THPHQ. Going to try her out on the practice green right now. Thank You again to Bridgestone and THP for the amazing invitational prizes.

I will have more thoughts later but after carpet putting it has me very interested in how it will do on the course. I can usually grab a putter and instantly know if it will work or not. This one I am unsure but it sure went exactly where I wanted it to carpet putting.

pa9era6u.jpg

yhe6y7as.jpg

jave8a3e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats quite the prize there dude!

Anything you want me to keep an eye on?

Long (25 - 30') Uphill and into a strong grain. These putts are giving me some difficulty with the TD-03. Almost like I cant hit it hard enough.

JM

Long (25 - 30') Uphill and into a strong grain. These putts are giving me some difficulty with the TD-03. Almost like I cant hit it hard enough.

JM

My practice green is basically one giant slope with some plateaus. I'll roll a handful tonight to see whether I can get a decent baseline for the next week or so, but I believe they cut the greens nice and short today, so I predict good things.

JM

I have felt the same way at distance and uphill thusfar. Then the force I'm trying to stroke the putt with to get it there tends to lead to the head out racing my hands and other issues. Something I have been working on a good deal with this one.

Mostly psychological with me probably. When I try to get more out of it to account for the grain and slope, I can feel it wander, which suggests that its my technique. I THINK I have to try harder on those to get it there. Inteested to hear your thoughts though. I still really like this putter a lot. Agree with all the insert accolades as well. Mine has performed significantly better for me since I put on the smaller grip. Just a personal preference thing, but it really woke it up for me.

JM

I have felt the same way at distance and uphill thusfar. Then the force I'm trying to stroke the putt with to get it there tends to lead to the head out racing my hands and other issues. Something I have been working on a good deal with this one.
So I see we were basically typing the same thing at the same time.... :act-up:

JM

Back