THP Live Coverage - TaylorMade SLDR S Metalwoods & SLDR Irons Launch

I wonder how that will play with people in windy environments where low is the way to go. All that launch may be counterproductive but IMO carry travels.

I disagree with this.

Q: Asked to Brian Basil - How long did it take you to get comfortable with the mini?

A: It was immediate for me. I am a player who has never been comfortable hitting a 3wood off the tee. When I put that club on the tee (it took me a while to find the right tee height). Once I found the right tee height, the lights went off and it was over. It's incredibly easy to hit, I am so comfortable with it. It's my favorite club in the bad. I will even hit it out of the rough.

Great coverage GG & ddec.

There was a slide that I do have to disagree, I will never give up on my 4-iron! :D

Do they see lower lofted fairway woods going away with the advancement of the high-lofted drivers?

They did talk about how people should consider more loft on the fairways with this setup. Mini driver would be a good replacement for those who pay that low lofted fairway.

I wonder how that will play with people in windy environments where low is the way to go. All that launch may be counterproductive but IMO carry travels.

Jason - if you have a driver that launches high and spins less, than the wind has less of an impact. I am finding this out first hand with my Alpha. With my Amp Cell I was around 3500 spin and the wind would kill my shots, but with the Alpha my spin is down around 2500 and the wind doesn't knock down my drivers nearly as much as it did with the Amp Cell.

Easier to get weight low with the bonded driver.

Q: Is it easier to fit people without adjustability. Also, any chance of a 2 iron?

A: Yes, it is easier to fit people without adjustability. And Maybe (everyone laughed)

I disagree with this.

When I play in very windy conditions my normal high ball gets thrown every which way. At least for me my best experiences in the wind occur when I play the ball low. Maybe I am missing something?

Q: Asked to Brian Basil - How long did it take you to get comfortable with the mini?

A: It was immediate for me. I am a player who has never been comfortable hitting a 3wood off the tee. When I put that club on the tee (it took me a while to find the right tee height). Once I found the right tee height, the lights went off and it was over. It's incredibly easy to hit, I am so comfortable with it. It's my favorite club in the bad. I will even hit it out of the rough.

I would like to know more about his chicken and ribs.
Local joke fellas, no big deal.

When I play in very windy conditions my normal high ball gets thrown every which way. At least for me my best experiences in the wind occur when I play the ball low. Maybe I am missing something?

Disregard Jlukes answered my question.

Q: Is it easier to fit people without adjustability. Also, any chance of a 2 iron?

A: Yes, it is easier to fit people without adjustability. And Maybe (everyone laughed)

I bet Jason Day can get one

Q: Why did golf ball technology get here before clubs did?

A: We have been learning to make titanium better, lower the weight, add new technology (ex. slides). Ability to move weights around. This all evolved over time to figure out the best place to put the CG. We took a wrong turn at the beginning trying to get the highest MOI, but by doing that you have to move the CG to the back, and now we see it needs to be in the front.

Another thing, golf balls and clubs didn't work together, not the R&D teams work together.

Jason - if you have a driver that launches high and spins less, than the wind has less of an impact. I am finding this out first hand with my Alpha. With my Amp Cell I was around 3500 spin and the wind would kill my shots, but with the Alpha my spin is down around 2500 and the wind doesn't knock down my drivers nearly as much as it did with the Amp Cell.

Thanks. Even though I have reduced my driver spin alot with some setup changes maybe I need to look into a lower spinning driver.

Do they see the trends they are trying to drive home with amatures taking hold with touring pros as well?

Leet me expand on that...with higher lofted lower spin fairways and lower lofted more distance geared irons and more hybos?

Q: Why are we the only company saying CG needs to go forward and everyone else says it needs to go back? Why are we right and they are wrong?

A: With the addition of adjustments, and moving CG back and up, you max out spin too quickly. MOI is not about straightness or accuracy, that's what buldge and roll is all about. We said if we can solve the accuracy problem, let's go after distance, and that's when we decided to go with forward CG combined with lofting up.

Yes, they firmly believe we will see this on tour, we already are. JB Holmes won with a 12* driver.

Ah, you beat me to my addition to my question. I ment to more in regards to other peices of equipment, not drivers.

What is your answer for the player who already launches high and has high spin?

Is shady tech there to keep LA but kill spin?

You will lose more ball speed with miss hit on club with lower moi. They believe the gains out weigh the losses because of the tech packed in to these drivers. Doesn't make sense to chase MOI.

We are getting ready to head to the range. Time to get my 16 degree driver on.

Special speaker tonight will be Gary McCord

You will lose more ball speed with miss hit on club with lower moi. They believe the gains out weigh the losses because of the tech packed in to these drivers. Doesn't make sense to chase MOI.

I would guess that MOI changes can not get anywhere near the distance of the low FCG

Time to head to the range to hit the clubs. The guys are going to hit a 16* driver!

Oh my!! Can't wait to hear how that goes.

Back