Putting speed - 18" past or die in the hole?

If I'm very familiar or comfortable with the greens (which is rare) I let it die into the hole. Otherwise, I try to take some of the break & guesswork out of the shot and am willing to hit it past if necessary.

I usually try to die it into the hole. I am more aggressive with uphill putts and will look past the hole to make sure I at least give it a chance to go in. Leaving those good birdie chances short always makes me mad at myself

I'd rather hit it the speed of 18" past to help take a bit of the break out. I'm pretty comfortable with the short come backers if needed.

Anything short is bad IMO unless it is a very long lag putt. Need to give the putt a chance to go in the hole. Also I don't want to miss on the low side of the hole.

I like my putts to die into the hole. Never up never in has been preached to me but i tell ya those 2-3 footers coming back all day long will wear on ya throughout your round

When considering putt speed, do you try to putt past the hole a foot and a half or let the ball die in the hole?

When I used to die putt, I would leave some putts short but have more tap ins. Now that I am trying to putt passed the hole, I am lipping more long putts but have some knee knockers coming back.
I've found the same results, but I feel more confident with the first putt if I'm trying to make it more than die it. It may leave me a longer putt coming back, but I feel like I have a better chance at making the first one with that more aggressive approach.

If I'm putting uphill, I want it to die. If downhill, a foot past. That way with either miss, I'm looking at an uphill 2nd putt

To me, there is nothing more frustrating than to have the line and have the ball "die" an inch or two short. It happens to me way too often. My goal this year is to try and get my putts past the hole!

When my putting is on it seems my speed is for about 1' past the hole. I always use to try and let the ball die at the hole but leave tons of putts short. If a putt is short or low it never had a chance of going in.

I just try to putt to the hole, so die it in I guess.

It really depends on the putt. But, I typically try to keep the speed within about a foot of the hole.

I find it interesting that many in the "die it in the hole" camp say they don't want the 2-4 footers coming back. That assumes a pretty big miss as the alternate result to making by the putt. And truth be told I'm in the other camp in part because I hate having that type of miss short of the hole. Maybe it's just a case of the grass always being greener.

Last edited:
I had an issue, up until the last couple of weekends, with leaving putts woefully short... I think, when the circumstances allow for it, I need to be trying to get the ball "through" the hole. Does that mean 18"? Probably somewhere between 12" and 18" (as a guesstimate). However, it's a very fine line if the greens are running quick and a pin placement might make for some ugliness coming back, if you miss too far.

I've been trying to be a little more aggressive the last couple times out and go for a little bit past but hopefully not more than a foot. It has worked pretty well so far. I have tended to just try to get it there before, and found myself leaving a lot short.

Count me in for 18" past the hole team. It drives me nuts to leave a putt on line just short. I'm okay with missing up to 3 ft past the hole because I gave it a chance to go in.

I always try to run past the hole. 100% of short puts have no shot of going in.

My putts tend to be on the slower side so I'm really focusing on running it past the hole this spring.

Past the hole. I try to get it past by a few inches (does not always happen).

I have always been of the putt it 18" by if you miss club.

Run it past. I want to give it a shot at going in & that won't happen trying to die it in if my speed control is not spot on.

18" past the hole, especially on putts under 15 feet.

I've never been a "back of the hole" kind of putter. I don't putt to go 18" or even 12" past the hole, but I'm not really a die it in the hole putter either.
The only dying putt putts I intentionally hit are big breakers and downhillers.

My grandfather has consistently told me to never leave it short of the hole, so I don't. That being said, I tend to run it 3-5 feet past when I am too aggressive so I have been opting to try and keep it within a foot or two. Easier said than done.

No putt left short has ever had a chance to go in. I prefer to hit it a foot past.

I left about every single putt that meant something last year short. Same with chipping. This year I told myself I'm not leaving anything short, Just make sure it makes it to the hole. Ultimately, I think finding something in the middle is (obviously) ideal but I would lean much more towards dying in the cup than going past. I've missed my share of 18" putts

Back