2014 NFL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NFL draft is the king of smoke screens. The Texans are trying hard to convince everyone they do not want Manziel & Clowney or Mack are better picks at #1. I have a feeling that a trade will not be made for the #1 pick & Manziel will be the pick. Can't imagine going anything other than Qb #1 with O'Brien as the new HC
Are they gonna jump on Johnny if he's there? It is so hard to tell what teams really think of him.

I don't think he makes it out of the top 10. But again, I wouldn't be shocked either.

Ideally Id like to see them take Bortles at #7 and then a CB or LB thats solid at 26. Or Marquise Lee for WR if he is there.

You believed a report on a mock trade that was made up by an NFL Network analyst. Good job, good effort. This trade hasn't happened.

On another note: I'm already getting my popcorn ready for this thread when the Cowboys are up in the first round and Johnny Football is still sitting there waiting to get drafted.

it would be a great trade for the niners

The NFL draft is the king of smoke screens. The Texans are trying hard to convince everyone they do not want Manziel & Clowney or Mack are better picks at #1. I have a feeling that a trade will not be made for the #1 pick & Manziel will be the pick. Can't imagine going anything other than Qb #1 with O'Brien as the new HC

Tell that to the Texans the last time they had the #1 pick.

A #1 pick QB better be the right one or you will lose your job as Mike Nolan

Tell that to the Texans the last time they had the #1 pick.

The last time the #1 pick was in hand we had Schaub in the fold and QB wasn't an immediate need. (thank god bc VY would have made me find another team to route for very quickly) Mario Williams was the right pick there IMO given the roster.

This year the team dynamic is completely different. We are a mess on the offensive line, have only two good CB's on the roster, need a RB, Need LB depth and Oh yeah we still don't have a QB to run this team (Fitzpatrick isn't the answer). I've said all along that we need to trade out of the #1 pick because we have so many other team needs. I like next year's crop of QB's better than this year & if forced to draft one this year I would wait for Murray, McCarron or Garrapolo to hold the bag until you find your long term solution. If they can't get out of #1 this year, Manziel does more for the immediate success for this team (wins & ticket sales) than Clowney would.

The last time the #1 pick was in hand we had Schaub in the fold and QB wasn't an immediate need. (thank god bc VY would have made me find another team to route for very quickly) Mario Williams was the right pick there IMO given the roster.

This year the team dynamic is completely different. We are a mess on the offensive line, have only two good CB's on the roster, need a RB, Need LB depth and Oh yeah we still don't have a QB to run this team (Fitzpatrick isn't the answer). I've said all along that we need to trade out of the #1 pick because we have so many other team needs. I like next year's crop of QB's better than this year & if forced to draft one this year I would wait for Murray, McCarron or Garrapolo to hold the bag until you find your long term solution. If they can't get out of #1 this year, Manziel does more for the immediate success for this team (wins & ticket sales) than Clowney would.

Here's the thing though other than the luck draft you can make a case every year that next years qb prospects are better than this years. So much changes over the course of a season in college football that I would not hold off drafting a qb if you liked them just because next year a prospect may be better. Heck I remember last season a few people suggesting Taj Boyd could go at the end of the first round or early second round if he came out. This year I have heard no one suggest he go even close to that. Hard to gauge prospects for this draft let alone for future drafts unless they are a sure think like Luck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Not sure I agree with a lot of that, but it is what it is.
When your team is a mess, you have to draft talent.
Drafting a question mark with the #1 pick when you are bad is what brings in new GM's quickly.
Every QB in this draft is marked with some sort of question.

And what teams ask for in return to trade up for the #1 pick is why nobody is offering anymore.

I hope the lions can trade up for Watkins.
Rumors have them moving up a couple spots and getting Evans instead, not sure I like that as much.

That or trade back and get corner help.

Does the Browns first pick have a staph infection yet?

I hope they get best available non-QB at #4 or trade down.

Lots of good receivers and QB's with potential available in round 2-4

Last edited:
Does the Browns first pick have a staph infection yet?

I hope they get best available non-QB at #4 or trade down.

Lots of good receivers and QB's with potential available in round 2-4

I beat they will make a trade on draft day if Johnny football or Clowny are still on the board I think Carr in the second round would be a great pick for a new QB

While I agree with you on some things buddy, drafting Manziel for ticket sales is crazy....they sell out every game now, I don't think they need help with tickets sales.

I think trading down is the right thing, but if that doesn't happen, I think you have to take Clowney with the #1 pick and chances are one of the above guys will be there for you in the 3rd round @ QB.

Not sure I agree with a lot of that, but it is what it is.
When your team is a mess, you have to draft talent.
Drafting a question mark with the #1 pick when you are bad is what brings in new GM's quickly.
Every QB in this draft is marked with some sort of question.

And what teams ask for in return to trade up for the #1 pick is why nobody is offering anymore.

Genuinely curious on what you don't agree with :alien:

I agree 100% we need to draft talent based on team need and not best available. The draft trade chart that teams use does tend to have a crazy asking price in return, but we all know it only takes one team to bite.

I'm nott saying we do not need Clowney, but think we need a QB more. Is Manziel the answer? I really don't think anyone can tell until the games are played and he is up against live action. Clowney or Mack would be the safest pick at #1, but again team needs show we need a QB more than a DL or LB.

Peter King has the Eagles moving up to Steelers spot and Steelers still get Fuller. That'd be great. I think it's a CB all the way but someone, I forget who, has Evans still available at #15 and I definitely think he'll be the pick if that were to happen.

I guess my point came across wrong. I didn't mean that you draft purely for ticket sales, it was more of that even though the games were technically sell outs, the stadium was empty a lot last year. Being in this town long enough you know how fickle and fair weather the fans are and drafting Manziel would generate a buzz locally this team needs because Shaub and last years mess of a season has a lot of fans sitting on the sidelines waiting before they commit.

While I agree with you on some things buddy, drafting Manziel for ticket sales is crazy....they sell out every game now, I don't think they need help with tickets sales.

I think trading down is the right thing, but if that doesn't happen, I think you have to take Clowney with the #1 pick and chances are one of the above guys will be there for you in the 3rd round @ QB.

On another note: I'm already getting my popcorn ready for this thread when the Cowboys are up in the first round and Johnny Football is still sitting there waiting to get drafted.

First, I don't think there is anyway Manziel falls to Dallas, too many teams with QB needs ahead of them.

2nd, I really hope they aren't stupid enough to take Manziel at all

3rd, I am really hoping that Dallas can grab Aaron Murray from Georgia in the 3rd or 4th round...I can see him being the QB of the future with a few years carrying a clipboard and learning.

Genuinely curious on what you don't agree with :alien:

I agree 100% we need to talent based on team need and not best available. The draft trade chart that teams use does tend to have a crazy asking price in return, but we all know it only takes one team to bite.

I'm nott saying we do not need Clowney, but think we need a QB more. Is Manziel the answer? I really don't think anyone can tell until the games are played and he is up against live action. Clowney or Mack would be the safest pick at #1, but again team needs show we need a QB more than a DL or LB.

To start with the idea of anything being based on ticket sales. Its the NFL, they need no help with that in just about every place.
Then the idea of those 3 QBs being the answer or even safer picks than those of the 1st round. I understand you said to "hold the bag", but this is the NFL, there is no holding the bag as far as fans and teams are concerned.

With the #1 pick you must take a gem. Even with slotted salaries, a bad #1 overall pick takes you down 3 years. I also dont agree that Fitz is not the answer because he can "hold the bag" far better than any of the 3 guys you want to waste a draft pick on.

Without a sure fire #1 pick, trading down is always the answer (especially to fans) because almost always, the team picking number one has multiple glaring holes. I dont believe that Manziel does more for immediate success of that team and surely dont think a team should ever draft a player for ticket sales in the 1st round.

First, I don't think there is anyway Manziel falls to Dallas, too many teams with QB needs ahead of them.

2nd, I really hope they aren't stupid enough to take Manziel at all

3rd, I am really hoping that Dallas can grab Aaron Murray from Georgia in the 3rd or 4th round...I can see him being the QB of the future with a few years carrying a clipboard and learning.

Manziel is the Ryan Leaf of this draft class could be a star or could be out of the league in 5 yrs

JB - What are your thoughts on Taylor Lewan? It's a name I see often in mocks attached to the Falcons at 6, even ahead of Jake Matthews. Obviously, Atlanta needs offensive linemen, but after Robinson, is Lewan 2nd best?

I guess my point came across wrong. I didn't mean that you draft purely for ticket sales, it was more of that even though the games were technically sell outs, the stadium was empty a lot last year. Being in this town long enough you know how fickle and fair weather the fans are and drafting Manziel would generate a buzz locally this team needs because Shaub and last years mess of a season has a lot of fans sitting on the sidelines waiting before they commit.

That's true....going 2-14 will have a lot of your fans sitting at home those last few weeks, especially when they were all expecting a SuperBowl run based off the year before.

I just don't think Manziel is the answer.....unless the question is "Who is the biggest Pr*ck in this years draft"

Matthews is a much more polished player than Lewan and plays with better technique. Lewan has better "measurables". It really comes down to what the coaching staff is looking for.

Lewan also has some character concerns from some off the field stuff from his time at Michigan

JB - What are your thoughts on Taylor Lewan? It's a name I see often in mocks attached to the Falcons at 6, even ahead of Jake Matthews. Obviously, Atlanta needs offensive linemen, but after Robinson, is Lewan 2nd best?

If I recall lewan is more of a rt prospect. I have seen a large range of where he is taken. Some as high as 6 some as low as the high teens.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

He is a mock drafts favorite target. Early buzz is strong. His technique is very strong, but has some minor flaws. Nothing that cant be corrected with good coaching. We will hear a lot about him in the coming days and know which teams are high on him. If he goes at 6, I will be surprised however.

He is a mock drafts favorite target. Early buzz is strong. His technique is very strong, but has some minor flaws. Nothing that cant be corrected with good coaching. We will hear a lot about him in the coming days and know which teams are high on him. If he goes at 6, I will be surprised however.

I, too, would be surprised if Lewan leapfrogs Matthews. I would not be surprised if Martin leapfrogs Lewan

I think that as far as the Texans go, they are not looking to be in "win now" mode, so that is why I think they take Clowney assuming they stay at 1. There are worse gap year QBs than Fitzpatrick and the 2015 QB class looks stronger than this one as far as top talent goes. Manziel is the only QB who I would even consider at 1 because of his "what-if" factor and I think Manziel could be really dynamic in the NFL. With that said, I don't think Houston is in a position to risk taking him number 1. Also, there is not a huge difference between the number 2 QB and the number 6 or 7 QB, so you can afford to wait until the 2nd or 3rd to pick up a possible backup/down-the-road starter. Pairing Clowney with Watt/Cushing is just too good to pass up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back