Cleveland Smart Sole Wedges

i spent some more time with my father's S wedge this week at the range. I hit it side by side with my 588 RTX 58* to compare, since they are the same in so many ways. I found it worked well for almost every shot I tried to hit with it. I just couldn't make it produce a reliable high, short, soft, flop sort of shot. It might just not be designed to do that, or I might not know how to do it with this club. whatever the cause, I wasn't able to make it work. switch to the 588, no problems. back to the smart sole and about 1 of every 10 attempts would look reasonably close to what I was going for, with the rest being thin. I am not talking about a towering flop, but just a little one that would work well for getting over a steep greenside hill or bunker with a tucked-in pin. That's not a shot my dad needs yet, but it's one that I like having the option of playing.

Now that's interesting.

I saw the exact opposite. Golf is weird.

I felt like the ball jumped straight up off of the SS, and it was effortless to hit it high and land it softly (like if you have to pitch it over a sand trap). It was really great out of the rough or fluffy lies.

The part where I struggled was trying to flight the ball off of a tighter or fairway lie. In those scenarios, I still preferred my old 56.

I'm essentially using the SS S wedge as a sand/lob wedge only. I'm not too wild about full swings or hitting it out of the fairway yet. Maybe with some more practice.

But, for what I want, it's far more effective than my old 60degree, which I never seemed to get along with, and it's a little easier/better out of the sand than my old 56.

Great feedback in this thread to read.

I view these differently than most, and I may buy one soon based on this thread. I play GI Irons as I'm getting back in and until I can get comfortable with my Mizunos again, but I play less GI stuff in wedges.

I don't want to permanently rely on a smart sole for my sand game. BUT, strategically, there are very different patterns to games I play. I have some games when I'm scoring well, under the handicap, and I am attacking and shot shaping in the short game. Titleist or Cleveland wedges are my favorite clubs.

Then there are games when I've had a few blow up holes and just to preserve the round (or win against friendly competition), I need to go into a much more defensive style of play.

For me, that's where the smart sole comes in. When my shot is off, I'm fatigued on the last few holes, and I'm strategically in need of just some smart/conservative play in order to preserve the round or beat my competition, these can save the day.

The back nine on a bad round is a terrible time to be sitting in rough or in a bunker thinking about which of your swing mechanics deteriorated without your permission. Just pop it out with these, get through the hole, and analyze your swing back on the training area tomorrow.

Great feedback in this thread to read.

I view these differently than most, and I may buy one soon based on this thread. I play GI Irons as I'm getting back in and until I can get comfortable with my Mizunos again, but I play less GI stuff in wedges.

I don't want to permanently rely on a smart sole for my sand game. BUT, strategically, there are very different patterns to games I play. I have some games when I'm scoring well, under the handicap, and I am attacking and shot shaping in the short game. Titleist or Cleveland wedges are my favorite clubs.

Then there are games when I've had a few blow up holes and just to preserve the round (or win against friendly competition), I need to go into a much more defensive style of play.

For me, that's where the smart sole comes in. When my shot is off, I'm fatigued on the last few holes, and I'm strategically in need of just some smart/conservative play in order to preserve the round or beat my competition, these can save the day.

The back nine on a bad round is a terrible time to be sitting in rough or in a bunker thinking about which of your swing mechanics deteriorated without your permission. Just pop it out with these, get through the hole, and analyze your swing back on the training area tomorrow.

I also think this depends on what club you are replacing with the SS.

I replaced a 60 degree wedge that had helped me in some scenarios, but was never a favorite of mine. Given the option, I'd hit my 56 for most/all shots inside of 100yards.

So, in reality, the SS does help my sand game, and I don't think it's removed any versatility from my bag. It fills a specific role: Lob/sand, and it does it better than the 60 degree wedge it replaced. The 60 wasn't a favorite, so I don't think I'm compromising at all by going to the SS.

Now, if you have a lob wedge or sand wedge that you currently love, then I think putting the SS in play could be a little more of a compromise because in theory, it might not be as versatile.

BUT, the other thing to consider is results. If it works better, use it. Don't worry about SGI vs GI vs Players vs whatever. If the SS is a better wedge for you, then use it.

I also think this depends on what club you are replacing with the SS.

I replaced a 60 degree wedge that had helped me in some scenarios, but was never a favorite of mine. Given the option, I'd hit my 56 for most/all shots inside of 100yards.

So, in reality, the SS does help my sand game, and I don't think it's removed any versatility from my bag. It fills a specific role: Lob/sand, and it does it better than the 60 degree wedge it replaced. The 60 wasn't a favorite, so I don't think I'm compromising at all by going to the SS.

Now, if you have a lob wedge or sand wedge that you currently love, then I think putting the SS in play could be a little more of a compromise because in theory, it might not be as versatile.

BUT, the other thing to consider is results. If it works better, use it. Don't worry about SGI vs GI vs Players vs whatever. If the SS is a better wedge for you, then use it.

Excellent points. Mostly I was trying to draw a very different line for club than just "high handicappers" and "scratch golfers". Pitching this as only for high handicappers is their marketing behind the product, as with a lot of GI stuff, but that's not it's utility factor. We saw this with hybrids for a long time: billed as a GI tool for "higher handicappers". And now it's rare to find a bag on tour that doesn't have a hybrid in it at one time or another. It's the 2 iron that is rare now, when that used to be the measuring stick of overall handicap testosterone levels.

Another line we could use, instead, is "defensive club" vs. "offensive club" for players of any amateur handicap level. This club isn't an offensive club. It's lacks the versatility that you need to attack in any expert way.

But it's defensive properties can be used by anyone. It's a way to simply get out of the sand trap or the rough and to land softly with much higher statistical probability than an offensive club offers. This won't matter so much if you're having to play aggressive golf to catch a guy with a big lead in the last hole. But it can be a great way to protect a lead or a round by statistically eliminating one of the large contributors to "blow up holes". Especially for hazards with very fluffy sand or high boundaries.

But are they marketing it that way? I dont think they are. Heck even right on their website it says this.

Experience a stress-free short game. Smart Sole S features an advanced design for easier bunker escapes, helping super game-improvement players and anyone who struggles to get the ball out of the sand.

To me that says they are targeting anybody that wants ease of use. Speaking with them says something similar.
But the aggressive low handicap player is going to overlook a club like this, right or wrong, because of the style. It's why Cleveland designed the CB wedge from the line.

But it's defensive properties can be used by anyone. It's a way to simply get out of the sand trap or the rough and to land softly with much higher statistical probability than an offensive club offers. This won't matter so much if you're having to play aggressive golf to catch a guy with a big lead in the last hole. But it can be a great way to protect a lead or a round by statistically eliminating one of the large contributors to "blow up holes". Especially for hazards with very fluffy sand or high boundaries.

I think your Hybrid/2 iron comparison is pretty good.

A 2 iron is a more versatile club. In the hands of an elite player, it's a great weapon. Control trajectory, ball flight, spin, etc.

However, a 2 iron in the hands of 99.9% of players isn't as useful as a hybrid. A hybrid isn't quite as versatile as a 2 iron (just by the nature of the head shape, trajectory, etc.), but for the majority of shots, it's just a better choice.

So, is the SS the most versatile wedge out there?

Probably not. Go get a tour grind 64 degree. You can be really creative (and really bad at the same time).

The SS, even with it's more "limited" (arguable) capacity is probably a better choice for most people, including good players.

If you have an elite short game, then it's probably not going to help. Mickleson doesn't need one.

If you think you can do a little better in the 58-62 degree range, then I would suggest trying this club. I use it for lobs and out of the sand, and I think it's better than a traditional 60 degree for that capacity.

But are they marketing it that way? I dont think they are. Heck even right on their website it says this.

Experience a stress-free short game. Smart Sole S features an advanced design for easier bunker escapes, helping super game-improvement players and anyone who struggles to get the ball out of the sand.

To me that says they are targeting anybody that wants ease of use. Speaking with them says something similar.
But the aggressive low handicap player is going to overlook a club like this, right or wrong, because of the style. It's why Cleveland designed the CB wedge from the line.

Good point. I think they are marketing toward high handicappers in general, but that may just as much of the institutional bias of the golf sales world as anything. Pretty much anything that is not a classic blade is seen as "Correct equipment for a great golfer MINUS something". The Mizuno JPX 825s are "Correct MINUS some number". The Cleveland Hybrid Irons are "Correct MINUS something bigger than the JPX 825s".

This falls into the "MINUS eleventy-billion" category in many minds. Not that it should, mind you, only that it does more often than not. Good catch on Cleveland's wording with that.

My suggestion is only that looking at GI equipment as "less than" is a faulty way to view the equipment. In my opinion, you have a scale of offensive vs. defensive equipment. To get the most of offensive equipment, and to use it aggressively, takes greater skill but the tradeoff is a greater need for perfection and precision in practice.

Defensive equipment may require less skill to execute overall, but it still has a use for scratch players in that golf is a hard enough game that all of us are forced into occasional positions where simply executing out of a bind in a minimally viable way can get us a "win", either in competition or on the scorecard, and defensive equipment can give us this at the tradeoff against variable options in attack.

Good point. I think they are marketing toward high handicappers in general, but that may just as much of the institutional bias of the golf sales world as anything. Pretty much anything that is not a classic blade is seen as "Correct equipment for a great golfer MINUS something". The Mizuno JPX 825s are "Correct MINUS some number". The Cleveland Hybrid Irons are "Correct MINUS something bigger than the JPX 825s".

This falls into the "MINUS eleventy-billion" category in many minds. Not that it should, mind you, only that it does more often than not. Good catch on Cleveland's wording with that.

My suggestion is only that looking at GI equipment as "less than" is a faulty way to view the equipment. In my opinion, you have a scale of offensive vs. defensive equipment. To get the most of offensive equipment, and to use it aggressively, takes greater skill but the tradeoff is a greater need for perfection and precision in practice.

Defensive equipment may require less skill to execute overall, but it still has a use for scratch players in that golf is a hard enough game that all of us are forced into occasional positions where simply executing out of a bind in a minimally viable way can get us a "win", either in competition or on the scorecard, and defensive equipment can give us this at the tradeoff against variable options in attack.

If you look down at my golf bag, you will see that I very much do not believe in game improvement vs "players". I believe in making the game as enjoyable as possible and its what makes this site unique in a lot of ways.

I will say however, that while I think this wedge serves a wonderful purpose, it will not be defensive (as you put it) for all golfers.

Mickleson doesn't need one.

Great points. And I have a 2 iron I practice low stingers with for the rare times I find myself in crazy wind. Doesn't go in the bag very often, but it's ready to go if called upon.

Also, some interesting thoughts on your Mickelson comment. No, he doesn't need one. But I've seen him miss the cut more than once because of his issues in hazards. Look at his 77 the other week in Texas, and I think something like 4 of those strokes were in sand issues (especially high top lines for the bunkers). If there was less stigma surrounding "game improvement" equipment, I think there are rounds were guys like Phil (and many lower down under the cut) would be happy to play more defensive and let others miss the cut when they're having an off day.

As an example, Phil is a great example of a guy who drops his driver for whole days on tour and hits a 3 wood. Well, the stigma is off 3 woods and many are doing this now, here and there, based on how they're performing. I imagine it's only a matter of time before defensive equipment is more accepted, in one way or another, in the same way. It just won't be called "game improvement" and instead something like "Titleist Pro Tour Closer's Wedge".

If you look down at my golf bag, you will see that I very much do not believe in game improvement vs "players". I believe in making the game as enjoyable as possible and its what makes this site unique in a lot of ways.

I will say however, that while I think this wedge serves a wonderful purpose, it will not be defensive (as you put it) for all golfers.

Fully agreed and I'm with you 100%. Defensive is a matter of function. For some, defense will be a smart sole or hybrid. For others, it may be a 3 wood over irons (which they don't hit as reliably). It's only the stigma and small thinking behind "GI" and "players" that I argue against.

I hear you loud and clear.

I guess I'm not really understanding the commentary on "defensive" golf. If you can make the game easier with a particular club(s) then why not do it?

In terms of Phil dropping a 3 wood from his bag in past tournaments, I see that more as course management than a defensive strategy. I often take the same approach, especially if I'm playing a course with tight fairways or a shorter layout. It doesn't mean I'm willing to sacrifice strokes on the scorecard. In fact, I see that as a strategy to ensure that I get myself into a spot accurately where I can score.

I don't think we disagree. But I'll try to explain better:

1. The reason for considering offensive vs. defensive as opposed to "game improvement" vs. "players" equipment is because many say, perhaps in ego, "I don't need it any easier". There's a stigma around GI equipment that it's only for high handicappers, but once you get your game together, you'll go back to the big boy/big girl equipment.

I have long rejected this point of view of equipment. I see it much more as offense vs. defense. Offensive equipment gives you more aggressive options for scoring, either in distance or in versatility (spin, manipulation, etc). Anything that doesn't come to stance, alignment, etc.

Defensive equipment trades off this versatility, but for the gain of a higher statistical probability of an intended shot. A "GI" driver may not drive 300 yards, reliably, for most players. But it also may hit more fairways at 250 yards. There are times, at all levels of play in golf, where "a good defense is the best offense". But since we don't view it that way in general, we see very few honor the wisdom of that strategy in both style of play or in equipment.

There are rounds where players need to be more on offense. When they're training for aggression. Or if they're in the final day of a tournament and behind more than a few strokes. Or if they need to move mountains to make a cut.

There are rounds, though, when players need to be defensive. When they're just "off" on the day. When their swing is breaking down. When a club cannot be put under control. When they're protecting a lead (especially when they're off). When the weather or conditions are poor. Etc.

My point is only that defensive equipment can have a place in any bag, for any golfer, and it's not simply for high handicappers. High cap players may prefer defensive equipment because hitting fairways is good for them over the increased yardage of an unreliable driver. But this is just a benefit of the equipment, not the sole defining realm of the equipment.

2. My point with Phil was that his dropping his driver for the 3 wood was a defensive move, by definition. He sacrificed yardage for a more controllable club. It has been a good move for him, at times. But 20 years ago, this would have been viewed as lacking testosterone in the same way that modern "GI" equipment is often derided--"For women and high handicappers". Almost patronizing.

I don't think it's a simple matter of testosterone-fueled arrogance versus wise choices in equipment. I see it more like a choice in any sort of tool. If I need to paint my house, of course I *can* do it with a full palette and selection of brushes like Bob Ross painting happy trees all over my siding. Is that the easiest way? Certainly not. And my version would never look at good as something that the great white afro could produce. I would prefer to break out the sprayer and get the job done. This is hyperbole, of course, but on one end it's an artist with his specialized tools, and on the other it's me with something that will do the job that needs doing.

In the golf world, we play a lot closer to the middle of that scale but the concept still works. Phil is a golf artist, and his multiple high-lofted wedges have carved out some masterpieces that the vast majority of us only aspire to resemble. The Smart Sole is not exactly a paint sprayer either, but it is a bit more of a broad brush. Does it make the game easier for most players? Sure. 99.9% of us don't have the skill to consciously decide "I need to land this one 4 feet past and 3 feet left and let it spin back a little, catching that ridge and funneling towards the hole..." and then execute it with any measurable consistency. We need to be thinking more along the lines of "I want to be inside of 10 feet from the hole so I can putt." The SS makes that part easier. Much easier for some people.

I don't think it's fair to compare our golf with PGA Tour level golf, especially when it comes to club selection. They play longer courses and faster greens than most of us do. They play in situations where a 3-foot putt can mean tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars. They have the skill to compete at the highest level, and the time to hone those skills. For that version of golf, precision instruments make a lot more sense. For our version, the path of least resistance is perhaps more prudent.

All of that said, many of us (myself included) are guilty of wanting to be like the players we see on TV every week. We dream of executing the same roar-inciting shots that so many of our heroes have done on the national stage. We sometimes even manage to do it, thus furthering the fantasy. Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with that. The one-in-a-hundred shots can lend excitement to the game better than just about anything else. It may hurt our scores 99 times for every one that it helps, but when it does... the feeling is awesome. I don't consider this to be arrogance or testosterone, I just call it chasing a dream.

I also applaud those with the fortitude to eschew the hero shot in favor of more consistently lower scores. The Smart Sole is a tool that can and will deliver that consistency for a lot of golfers. In my opinion though, it won't deliver nearly as many of those amazingly precise shots. I don't think it's fair to demand that an amateur adapt one mode of golf or the other - we all have fun with this game in different ways. If a person wants to paint in the broader, more forgiving, and more consistent way... more power to them. If another prefers to struggle a bit more for that exhilarating payoff of the rare but incredible shot... who are we to tell them it's wrong?

Before someone inevitably comes in to tell me how wrong I am, please understand that this is my opinion and view. Of course there will be plenty of very good shots had with the SS - I've seen it happen myself. I am giving extreme examples for the purpose of comparison.

As with most things, the ongoing discussion simply comes down to point of view. I have found the offensive vs. defensive discussion to be an interesting one, and appreciate all the thought that has gone into everyone's responses.

I've been using a C for about two weeks now, and have the S on the way. I should have it in time for this weekend, and am looking forward to putting it through its paces. Whether it knocks my RTX out of the bag remains to be seen, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

If another prefers to struggle a bit more for that exhilarating payoff of the rare but incredible shot... who are we to tell them it's wrong?

Before someone inevitably comes in to tell me how wrong I am, please understand that this is my opinion and view. Of course there will be plenty of very good shots had with the SS - I've seen it happen myself. I am giving extreme examples for the purpose of comparison.

I don't disagree, but in my mind, what you are talking about is essentially a guy playing pick-up basketball and shooting 28 footers. Sure, he might get one to go in once in a while, and he'll get some high 5's, but it's REALLY annoying to play with that guy. He's making bad decisions. It's a bad shot... I don't care if he makes them once in a while.

Now, the glaring difference is that basketball is a team game, and golf is individual... so I guess it's fine if a 30 handicap wants to play a 64 degree tour grind, but the cold truth is that it's annoying to play with that guy.

I enjoy being creative on the course, I like to try new shots and whatnot. But, that's not going to make me go by a set of tour blades so I can "work the ball". That's silly and probably annoying to my playing partners. "OK guys, I'm going to hit a slice around these trees and bring it in low with a lot of spin." (eye rolls from the other 3 guys).

So, I guess what I'm saying is, if somebody isn't going to look at the SS because they feel they need more versatility, I'm here to tell you that you better be REALLY good with your wedges to make that statement. "Wedge improvement" is coming. In the next 5 years I think we'll see more and more of this type of club, and we're all going to have to get over our preconceived notions of who this club is intended for.

Now, if somebody tries the club, and it doesn't work for them, so be it. But, the idea that this is a GI club only intended for high handicappers is silly.

For whatever it's worth, this isn't a recent invention. The Ben Hogan Sure-Out and Sure-On sitting in my garage have quite a few years of experience under their belts. The Smart Sole S and C obviously share the same design cues. I don't own a Niblick, but I believe there are lots of parallels to be drawn there as well. I don't expect we will see this type of club go away soon, if ever, but it has definitely been around for quite some time.

On another note - not every amateur who plays a 64* tour grind wedge is clueless as to how to use it. Necessary? No. But some will use it the same way another use this SS with the same rate of success. Personally, I carry a 58* "standard" type 588 RTX wedge. I hit better shots with it than I hit with the SS. Not more masterful or creative ones necessarily, just more consistent. While I completely agree that the SS is a useful tool for more than just high handicappers, I also contend that a normal wedge can be equally as useful for many people.

Have you hit the S from the sand yet Tim? I actually hit it better from tight fairway lies and the rough than I do from the sand. I'm sure it's a swing fault of mine, but I'm frustrated that I can't figure it out. For my round tomorrow, I've actually put the S on the shelf.

I haven't but hope to soon.

I agree with this as I expect it to make me more aggressive out of the sand and not less. Hence offensive vs. defensive.

I can say that the S wedge has helped me become much more focused on the pin from the sand compared to when I played my old Vokeys.

Tappin' from my Samsung Note 3

Nice dude. This is exactly what I am hoping for. Right now I am putting well enough to score much better than I am. Much of that is due to poor bunker play and failure to attack greens.

I'm really enjoying my S wedge. It's been a pleasure to use it in our deep green side traps. I like it from the fairway too and it just keeps on earning a solid spot in my bag. The C wedge was hot at first for me but now I'm letting it ride the bench for a while. Learning to land the ball the proper distance away from my target with the C is still a work in progress.

On another note - not every amateur who plays a 64* tour grind wedge is clueless as to how to use it. Necessary? No. But some will use it the same way another use this SS with the same rate of success. Personally, I carry a 58* "standard" type 588 RTX wedge. I hit better shots with it than I hit with the SS. Not more masterful or creative ones necessarily, just more consistent. While I completely agree that the SS is a useful tool for more than just high handicappers, I also contend that a normal wedge can be equally as useful for many people.

True. I have a 56 RTX standard wedge that feel like I can do anything with when I'm on. I even get some great backspin at times when I'm working on it. I blow up in sand occasionally, but that's more technique. But I LOVE that wedge.

I still think I'll pick up an S, though, for me personally. This thread has really helped me clarify my thinking on it. There are times when I need to stay pin focused (hell, like always), and when my swing breaks down I still want the confidence to get out of a hole. Maybe just having it will make me never need it over the 56. Some rounds I may take it out and put in the lob.

Anyway, great discussion and great contributions by all.

For whatever it's worth, this isn't a recent invention. The Ben Hogan Sure-Out and Sure-On sitting in my garage have quite a few years of experience under their belts. The Smart Sole S and C obviously share the same design cues. I don't own a Niblick, but I believe there are lots of parallels to be drawn there as well. I don't expect we will see this type of club go away soon, if ever, but it has definitely been around for quite some time.

Totally fair. If you are good with your current lob wedge, then there isn't really a compelling reason to change. Some amateurs have good short games.

And you're right, it's not really a "new" technology, but I think it's an area of opportunity for manufacturers to use some "new" and different technology. You can only sell so many drivers & irons.

I wasn't saying I have a "good" short game :). I practice it a lot and it is light years ahead of what it was when I started golfing "for real" back in August, but it still has a long way to go before anyone would call it good. When I try to work the SS into my game, I lose consistency with some shots that I like to play. I really need to try it in the sand, though... my sand game is probably the weakest part of my game. I can generally get out of the sand in one (definitely not 100% of the time) but doing much more with it than getting back to grass of some sort is really just dumb luck at this point.

I could see a situation where I would carry the 54* RTX for the "technique" shots and the 58* SS for getting out of the sand, or for basic bump and run shots. It seems strange to me to carry a club that is just for sand, but if it's that big of an improvement then it might be worth it. I try pretty hard to avoid the sand but I still find my way in there once or twice per round. Really though... if my current 58* is a specialized tool for the min-flop shot and the SS is a specialized tool for the sand shot... and I play each type of shot about the same number of times per round but don't have room for both clubs... which one would make more sense? The SS won't do a flop shot for me. the RTX *will* get me out of the sand. I dunno. I might play a round or two with each over the next few weeks and see which I prefer.

Having a wide sole does not make this wedge like or nearly like many predecessors that had wide soles. Weight placement is what makes this wedge unique.

I wasn't saying I have a "good" short game :). I practice it a lot and it is light years ahead of what it was when I started golfing "for real" back in August, but it still has a long way to go before anyone would call it good. When I try to work the SS into my game, I lose consistency with some shots that I like to play. I really need to try it in the sand, though... my sand game is probably the weakest part of my game. I can generally get out of the sand in one (definitely not 100% of the time) but doing much more with it than getting back to grass of some sort is really just dumb luck at this point.

I could see a situation where I would carry the 54* RTX for the "technique" shots and the 58* SS for getting out of the sand, or for basic bump and run shots. It seems strange to me to carry a club that is just for sand, but if it's that big of an improvement then it might be worth it. I try pretty hard to avoid the sand but I still find my way in there once or twice per round. Really though... if my current 58* is a specialized tool for the min-flop shot and the SS is a specialized tool for the sand shot... and I play each type of shot about the same number of times per round but don't have room for both clubs... which one would make more sense? The SS won't do a flop shot for me. the RTX *will* get me out of the sand. I dunno. I might play a round or two with each over the next few weeks and see which I prefer.

I'm using it as a lob wedge replacement.

I'm not a great short game player, but when compared to other guys with similar handicaps (10-13), I'm better than most.

My 56 (soon to be a 54) is my go to club for most things. I prefer to play a low, spinning shot. I've worked on it a lot, and I'm confident in it. I can play lob shots too, but other than looking "cool", lobbing the ball doesn't usually accomplish much for me.

Out of the thick rough, or sand, I was less-than-confident with my 56 or my 60. A niblick 56 helped me some last season, and the SS is even a little better at this role. It's specifically a club I'm trying to get up in the air and land soft. I think it fills the role very well for me.

In any given round, I'm using my 54/56 far more often than the SS. But, that doesn't mean the SS isn't a good tool. I use it once or twice per round.

Point & Shoot. Up & On.

ALSO, something to keep in mind... I don't use the club often, so it's nice to have MAX forgiveness with it.

Admittedly, I'm using it in a very specific/limited role... but it's fulfilling exactly what I need. I don't need a 5W that I would use once every 3 rounds. I carry a Gap wedge that matches my set, a 54 traditional wedge, and a SS 58 as a lob/sand club.

Gives me enough versatility and forgiveness.

I don't think it's a simple matter of testosterone-fueled arrogance versus wise choices in equipment. I see it more like a choice in any sort of tool. If I need to paint my house, of course I *can* do it with a full palette and selection of brushes like Bob Ross painting happy trees all over my siding. Is that the easiest way? Certainly not. And my version would never look at good as something that the great white afro could produce. I would prefer to break out the sprayer and get the job done. This is hyperbole, of course, but on one end it's an artist with his specialized tools, and on the other it's me with something that will do the job that needs doing. .

In life and THP, there are not nearly enough Bob Ross references.

That being said ...

I've been seriously considering at least the S wedge because of this simple fact: I'm most aggressive when I am confident I can execute a shot that will result in an outcome I want or if I make a mistake, the outcome will still be ok. After reading about the Smart Sole, I think it can help me do that better on my bad swing days, my good swing days and maybe even on my great swing days.

Maybe another way to say it is with the Smart Sole, I might have more belief I can execute it.

“The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it. Anything that you believe you can do strong enough, you can do. Anything. As long as you believe.”
― Bob Ross

Back