Should the Players Championship be a designated as major?

UVaWahoo

Reaction score
Handicap
While some will disagree, in my personal opinion--No. I think the current 4 majors are all that are needed, they make for a perfect grand slam. They also make for a sense of history and historical comparisons that would be destroyed if a 5th major is added. It would require a determination if such would be prospective, or would all past winners be considered as having won a major. The majors ain't broke, no need to fix them.

I'm fine with four.

I think so. It's better than both Opens and the PGA Championship IMO

Agreed, for all the reasons you mentioned.

I think the discussion is great. Never really thought about it until I saw the Golf Channel segment on it the other night. I'm fine with 4, but I think The Players is one of my favorite tourneys of the year. I usually enjoy it more than the Tour Championship. 18th hole par 3s are the worst.

I would get bored if it was a Major at the same course every year. We have that at Augusta. I wouldn't want 2 or the 5 majors each year to be at the same place.

My favorite part about the Players is how they put it on the most inconvenient day to watch golf the entire year.

I vote nah on this. Leave it with 4, the Players has been great as the tourney just below the majors.

I'm happy with the way it is. Don't need an extra one.

It shouldn't. But history wouldn't be destroyed or ruined.

The US Am and British Am aren't considered majors anymore.

I think it's fine the way it is. It is still a great accomplishment to win the Players even though it isn't a major.

Probably no, but I wouldn't cry foul if they decided to call it a major. Bet Sergio would want them to call it a major though, because it would retroactively break his losing streak at the majors hahahaha

I'm in general agreement with several other posters, that I'm OK with it, as-is. I like that it fills its own niche. As to the history, Blu nailed-it... The original tournaments that made up a potential grand slam have changed as well, so I don't feel "history" is the most important factor in not including it.

I think 4 majors is the right amount. Mirrors tennis.

My favorite part about the Players is how they put it on the most inconvenient day to watch golf the entire year.

Isn't that the truth. :alien:

I would get bored if it was a Major at the same course every year. We have that at Augusta. I wouldn't want 2 or the 5 majors each year to be at the same place.

That's a very good point.

I guess in the end, what makes a major a major? I honestly don't have an answer for that question.

It's something that I've often wondered, and it's something that has changed throughout time. As previously mentioned the US Am and the British Am used to be considered majors, yet now they are not. I could see in the future having the Player's become a 5th major, but I think that will be sometime down the road.

I'm good with 4, no need to make the player's a major in my opinion.

my thoughts precisely

I would say yes, just for the fact that the PGA Tour doesn't have a major that is run by or benefits their organization. Masters - Augusta National (started out as an invitational), US Open - USGA, British Open - R&A, PGA - PGA of America.

That would also give us a major in every month from April - August, which should get you going for the FedEx Cup & then the Ryder Cup

I think it is fine not being considered a "major". It's the type of tournament that all the top players want to win. It's probably the biggest tournament outside of the 4 majors.

Nah. It's like a WGC+ event to me. Great field, I like the course, usually fun to watch, but doesn't have the aura of a major. Major wins should remain some what elusive, so limiting the number of times a year you can win is key.

Designating it a major is only a matter of semantics. If you win, you basically get all the same perks of a major (same amount of FedEx Cup points, 5 year exemption, similar amount of money). As far as the PGA Tour is concerned, it basically is a major.

I think its perfectly fine being considered "essentially" the fifth major, without "actually" being a fifth major. Everyone knows that it is set apart from the rest of the tournaments throughout the year and is something special that the players have for themselves. Its something different.

Back