The Easiest Course You've Played

Man I wish Rustic Ridge was in my geographical area.... sounds like the perfect place to sneak off to alone, then come back to your regular group and strike fear into them as you describe how low a number you put up the other day at a course you had never seen before....hahaha

Lake Park in Lewisville TX.

tezavevy.jpg

Easiest I've played for an 18 hole course. Last time there shot 77

I played a par 3 course in mexico that was attached the hotel once. I think the longest hole was like 145 yards, it was fun to play in my swimsuit and flip flops though!

I use to play on a par 34 executive golf course that was super short. I don't remember the yardage, but I'm pretty sure the longes hole was right at 300 yards. The only thing that made it difficult was the greens. They were hard as a rock and would not hold a shot into them. You had to land the ball in front and let it bounce onto the green.

On another note about course difficulty, the slope rating does not always translate to a harder course for me. I played a course about a month ago that's rated higher than my home course. The fairways were so freakin wide that I thought it played much easier than what I'm use to.

Easiest golf course I have played is about a 15 minute drive from my house. It's called Claflin Golf Club. It's a Par 34, 9 hole course that's all of 2537 yards long.

You can drive just about every Par 4 on the course, they have two Par 5's, one which is laughable. The first one is only 389 yards, and MOST of the time plays downwind. The only reason #5 is "hard" is it's a large dog leg left, and the entire left side of the hole is (the only) in course OB. Plus there is a pond in front of the green and the green is sloped from back to front and is a two tier green. The other par 5, (#7 which is 442 yards) USUALLY plays into the wind, and has a small green. This fairway is usually pretty hard and the ball rolls pretty good there, but it SHOULD as that fairway USE to be the runway for the airport before it was turned into a golf course.

Definitely Mountain View Golf Course in West Jordan, UT. Lives up to it's name as there are beautiful mountain views from literally every spot on the course, but come on guys, it's Salt Lake City, everyone and their mother has a mountain view! It strikes fear into the hearts of the wicked with its 6700 yards (only feels like about 6100 yards at that elevation) and 70.1/114 rating FROM THE TIPS, and I think only 2 ponds actually come into play the whole round. I've seen somebody spray a drive two fairways over and still hit the green in regulation here. I shot 78 here the last time I played it, and I wasn't even hitting the ball that well that day. The highest 9 hole score I have in my OOB history here is 42. ...yeah, it's pretty damn easy.

mountain-view-golf-course2.jpg

I had a feeling I would see this posted. The reason I find it the easiest is it is pretty much impossible to get in trouble from the tee. You can play driver without hesitation on every non par 3. You may get stuck behind a tree once in a while but that is about it. This course is a dream for anyone long but not as accurate.

Tara Greens in Central NJ, by far

http://www.taragreensgolfcenter.com/course/regulation/

Challenge yourself on our full-length 9-Hole Regulation golf course for an adventure you won't forget! At a regulation length of 3100 yds, our course is enjoyable for all skill levels. It features a 615 yard par 5, smooth greens, intimidating pot bunkers, and picturesque landscapes!

regulationcard.jpg

Yes, you read that correctly. A 238 yard Par 4 (that I reached with a 3 iron) and a 600+ yards Par 5, all on the same course.

Gotta be the Challenger Course at Bear Creek Golf World in Houston

Challenger Course - 18 Holes
Tees ParYardsSlopeRating
champion 66529510565.5
middle 66490710163.1
forward 6644329661.8

I'm from VA originally and there's a little small 9 hole course in Portsmouth at city park. I think the course is simply called city park golf course. It's a great course to work on your wedge and short iron game. That's the easiest course I've played on. I can usually play it in just over an hour so that is a plus as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I had a feeling I would see this posted. The reason I find it the easiest is it is pretty much impossible to get in trouble from the tee. You can play driver without hesitation on every non par 3. You may get stuck behind a tree once in a while but that is about it. This course is a dream for anyone long but not as accurate.

Yep. About the only places you can get yourself in trouble off the tee are where the hole borders a fence and you can hit it OB, but just make sure you play a shot shape that takes that side of course out of play and you're golden. There isn't even really any rough, you can miss every fairway and still get home from the rough except where you manage to find a tree.

One of the courses on base at Camp Lejeune is a par 70 with a rating of like 66.7 from the tips. There is one water hazard and the par 5s are easily reachable in 2. On top of the that, the greens are ridiculously easy to putt.

Horton-Golf-Course.jpg

Blue (M-69.5/103)474421178445419186372166491315219535215847141940938337140731656317
White (M-67.6/99)451402164421388169355153475297816132513845738937936734836329275905

Par 70 and just 103 slope from the blues; #1, #9 and #13 are the only par 5s offset by 5 pretty easy par 3s. Tiny crowned greens are the toughest issue as your GIR% suffers, but there is no water and you have to work to find any real trouble. Most of the trees that originally protected the course were lost in a horrible ice storm. Teeing off the one tighter tree lined hole that was somehow spared from the devastation of of that storm seems like you are on a different course.

Last edited:
Definitely Mountain View Golf Course in West Jordan, UT. Lives up to it's name as there are beautiful mountain views from literally every spot on the course, but come on guys, it's Salt Lake City, everyone and their mother has a mountain view! It strikes fear into the hearts of the wicked with its 6700 yards (only feels like about 6100 yards at that elevation) and 70.1/114 rating FROM THE TIPS, and I think only 2 ponds actually come into play the whole round. I've seen somebody spray a drive two fairways over and still hit the green in regulation here. I shot 78 here the last time I played it, and I wasn't even hitting the ball that well that day. The highest 9 hole score I have in my OOB history here is 42. ...yeah, it's pretty damn easy.

mountain-view-golf-course2.jpg

i figured id see this as one of the easy courses. decent track though.

There are a few other contenders I could post up here, but by virtue of a few weird/crazy holes they sort of become not Rustic Ridge easy.

i figured id see this as one of the easy courses. decent track though.

I've never minded playing it either, it's usually in decent shape and for $28 to walk 18 on a weekend, you can't ask for much more. Great course to work on your game and to go low, especially if you've had a rough round or two lately at tougher courses.

Probably Fort Langley golf course for me. It's not an overly easy track but you really can't get into any trouble there unless you somehow shank two balls in a row. That said, I always have fun playing there when the conditions are nice as it provides a nice afternoon of stress-free golf.

i can make any course difficult :laughing:

This one might be it for me. There are some holes that can get you in some serious trouble. But I just find it easy.

http://www.windyhillsgolf.com/More_About_Windy_Hills.html

windy_hills_course_plan_c9go.jpg
USGA Course RatingUSGA Slope Rating
White69.5117
Red69.6112
Gold66.2109

Some pictures from their site.

b6531d89bdb97bbf443a32d9532185d6_whnt.png

windy_hills_-_027_dlc3.jpg

7109ed431f4c4ba2db6c48bc3b629ecc.jpg
I played in an outing there for the first time ever last summer/fall. The 9th hole (I think) is an uphill dogleg right that beat me up, but other than that, I agree about it being easy.

For me, it's Frear Park in Troy, NY. Wide open, drivable par 4s, some hills, but everything breaks towards the Hudson River.....

Horton-Golf-Course.jpg

Blue (M-69.5/103)474421178445419186372166491315219535215847141940938337140731656317
White (M-67.6/99)451402164421388169355153475297816132513845738937936734836329275905

Par 70 and just 103 slope from the blues; #1, #9 and #13 are the only par 5s offset by 5 pretty easy par 3s. Tiny crowned greens are the toughest issue as your GIR% suffers, but there is no water and you have to work to find any real trouble. Most of the trees that originally protected the course were lost in a horrible ice storm. Teeing off the one tighter tree lined hole that was somehow spared from the devastation of of that storm seems like you are on a different course.

I was just thinking about this course yesterday.... thinking I need to go give it a whirl soon. My mom and stepdad live less than 3 blocks away from it. I haven't played there since I was 17 years old (25 years ago) and really don't remember any details other than the holes visible from the road when you drive by on Scenic. Do you play there often daddio? How crowded is it on the weekends and what kind of cost do they have for 18 with a cart these days?

I don't have pictures, nor do I remember the name, but ft hood used to have a course that was 100% wide open. This was back in the late 90s. Hit it next fairway over, no troubles, open shot to green. Don't remember greens having much if any slope in them either. When I left, they had plans to build barracks on that property so it may not be there. I was generally about 10 shots better on that course than the other tree lined course.
Ft sill had a similar course, but they do have wind in Oklahoma.

C'mon guys, you can go easier than that! I see actual trees in the way and elevation changes!

If you want a truly easy course, you have to look towards that supreme architect of all easiest courses in the world -- the U.S. Department of Defense! Pick virtually any one of the dozens (if not hundreds) of goat tracks that were wedged onto Army and Air Force bases in the Post War period and you'll find the sine qua non of easy courses.

As an example of the type, if not necessarily the easiest military course in the west, I submit this beauty from Dugway, Utah.

frankskull.jpg

attachment.php

Frank Skull Golf Course is out in the far reaches of the Bonneville Salt Flats. It is PRIVATE, because it sits in the middle of a chemical weapons depot. It has fairways so straight and flat you can land planes on them, which they've probably done. Water hazards -- none. First you have to have some water for that. Rough -- virtually none. You have to have grass for that. Doglegs? No need for them, because a dogleg bends around something and with no something to bend around, you have no dogleg. Bunkers? If you look real carefully, you can spot a couple. Probably just left over slit trenches from an infantry exercise. There are a few tree-like things near greens, but really the only hazard that Frank Skull can boast is the possible threat of a nerve gas leak at the depot.

You guys in the East are more deprived than we in the West when it comes to military loops. I've played about a dozen and some are not bad, but many are just like the above.

Here's another military gem, the old George AFB course. It's not really that easy with a rating of 72 and slope of 120. Its main hazard is lack of turf any where on the course. And yes, it's still open and active.

george afb.jpg

attachment.php

Last edited:
I was just thinking about this course yesterday.... thinking I need to go give it a whirl soon. My mom and stepdad live less than 3 blocks away from it. I haven't played there since I was 17 years old (25 years ago) and really don't remember any details other than the holes visible from the road when you drive by on Scenic. Do you play there often daddio? How crowded is it on the weekends and what kind of cost do they have for 18 with a cart these days?

When you drive past on Scenic you would be traveling along the entire left side of the par 5 9th. The par 3 8th green is also pretty close to that fence too. Ironically flying that OB fence is possibly the easiest way to suffer penalty strokes on the entire course so you are probably seeing the 'scariest' trouble it offers.

I just started getting back into golf following a lengthy layoff in last Nov, and you know how our winter was. I played that course 6 or 7 times total, all since Nov '13, with the last time being mid Mar this year. I can't imagine it gets too super crowded or takes real long to play but I've only played it during the week and usually on some bad weather days. I've walked 18 a couple times in 1:50 playing as a single for reference and also used the course to examine some distance issues with the project (a) in which I hit six balls off every tee (used a cart) and still finished right at 2 hours.
They charge $19 during the week to walk 18 holes, $31 with cart. On weekends the costs are $24 and $36 with cart.
I'd like to meet up and play Horton (or any other local courses) with you sometime. I really need some easy track ego salve after sposey graciously let me join him at Millwood a couple days ago. That course murdered me, donated 8 balls to water hazzards and backyards in just that one round with Shane but have not lost a single ball at Horton Smith despite playing it 6 or 7 times. Hit me with a PM and we can set something up.

Last edited:
I'd have to say Bomber's in Niagara WI. Only 4442 yds, par 66, almost no trouble, the Menominee river along a few holes, but otherwise hard to lose a ball. Most of the par 4's are easily drivable by the average golfer. I guess anyone can be a bomber there. lol

They used to have an all day pass on Mondays for $10, cheap easy golf.

http://www.bombersgolfcourse.com/

Back