PING i25 Irons - Review Thread

I agree w/ the grips, not a fan and just swapped them out. I find this finish to be excellent. Very durable and probably the best satin finish on the market. Have had zero durability issues thus far.

Like everyone else, I haven't had any issues with the finish. I'd consider contacting PING about that club and see if they take care of it. Their customer service seems to be really good.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Interesting...I thought the finish has held up great. No signs of bag chatter either.

Tap Tap Taparoo

I've been brutal on my i25's and as you know hit a few trees with them too. Overall the finish held up okay. I will shoot some pics to show the wear after a couple thousand hits with the set.

the bottom of my 4 iron is all scratched up and slightly worn, and i haven't even hit them yet! lol must be cold canadian weather here having an effect on the clubs!

does anyone have any feed back on the cushin inserts, do you think it helps with the vibration or does it mute out some of the feel? i had them in the i3 like 10 years ago so i don't have anything to compare it to

the bottom of my 4 iron is all scratched up and slightly worn, and i haven't even hit them yet! lol must be cold canadian weather here having an effect on the clubs!

does anyone have any feed back on the cushin inserts, do you think it helps with the vibration or does it mute out some of the feel?

If tou scroll back a few pages one of the members gave some feedback on them

Looking forward to concluding some other obligations and getting these back in the bag after today, its always interesting to move to something else and come back to see if perception about performance has changed for me or not.

As someone who has played forged clubs for 40 years, I am very impressed with the feel of the I-25's. They have very nice feel to them and they will let you know when you don't hit the sweet spot, but with very little distance loss.. I am really happy I bought them, the most consistent set of irons I have ever played.

As someone who has played forged clubs for 40 years, I am very impressed with the feel of the I-25's. They have very nice feel to them and they will let you know when you don't hit the sweet spot, but with very little distance loss.. I am really happy I bought them, the most consistent set of irons I have ever played.

Its all about dampening through the cavity and its something that PING has always done INSANELY well. Glad to hear you're enjoying these!

The i25's look great w/ green grips

gereju2a.jpg

Uj
pu8a6u9e.jpg

J
yha3eguj.jpg

Why yes they do :)

does anyone have any feed back on the cushin inserts, do you think it helps with the vibration or does it mute out some of the feel? i had them in the i3 like 10 years ago so i don't have anything to compare it to

Loving these PING Cushin inserts!

CushinMe.jpg

I was messing around with the broken part of my PING CFS shaft a couple days ago and decided to cut it open to see what the Cushin insert looked like and I was really surprised.

I know the picture only shows the bottom rubber part but this is so much more substantial looking than the other inserts I own which are just made from cheap foam. What you can’t see is the floating ball bearings housed inside the rubber. PING says this insert absorbs 70-80% of undesirable frequencies and still allows you to feel hits. I think I agree (maybe not 80%)

I know I get boastful when I like something but I can’t help it sometimes. I’m really in love with PINGS’s Cushin insert. By far out of any insert I have (Sensicore and ProSoft) these allow me to feel the club face the purest and also dampen the vibration from bad strikes.

Did a little test last night with the i25 6i w/Cushin, vs Mizuno MP-69 w/Sensicore, vs Cobra AMP Cell Pro w/ProSoft and found the Cushin insert dampened the vibration from heel and toe hits the best while still allowing me to know where the ball contacted the face.

I know this test was a little unfair for the other inserts as they are attached to unforgiving forged blade irons vs the i25’s forgiving cavity shape so I grabbed my graphite shafted Adams OS 6i and threw it in the mix as well. After a few swings I found the Cushin insert to be very close to the graphite feel for heel toe hits. I prefer the insert more as graphite shaft in GI irons tend to over dampen and I lose some of the ability to detect where I’m hitting.

Another good thing about the Cushin inserts for me was the additional 10g they add to the overall club weight. I’m coming from 130g shafts and the CFS X-Flex coming in at 114g was just a little on the light side for my preference. Adding the Cushin brought the weight up to within a couple grams of both my other irons.

Here is cutaway of the Cushin insert from PING’s custom catalog.

Spoiler
Cushin.JPG

The more I play these the more impressed I am. I'm getting pretty comfortable with them now and the feel is great. Length is about a half a club to a club more than my R9s. Ball flight is medium high and usually straight. I don't try and work the ball much so I can't give a lot of input there, but it does seem that I can hit the longer irons (4-6) much straighter than my old set. I've had some really beautiful short iron shots and hey are very forgiving especially thin shots and those off the toe. The finish is wearing a bit but not bad.

So I went out for a round today with the thought that I should hit the wrong club for every shot to see how well I could work the irons. The results surprised me a lot.

Every approach shot was too much club with the intent of working the ball in some fashion to get where it needed to go. When it came to PW-8 iron the results were perfect by just knocking the ball down a little. I was seeing a lot of spin compared to usual and was able to really attack the pins. Hands down though the best shot was one of the last of the day on the par 5 where I was able to cut a 4 iron about 50 yards low around the trees in front of me and ended up perfect center of the fairway in a position to go at the pin with a wedge. I like how if I want to work the ball I can but at the same time if I get lazy and just play straightforward golf these clubs are so straight and forgiving.

Of the 18 greens I hit the i25s into 10 greens. I hit 8 of those greens with the other 2 shots being just short (1 was on purpose). I have lost a little distance lately on my swing but have actually seen better results while I have been dealing with a few nagging injuries.

I also hit the 4 iron against my M4 hybrid that I love and it is a pretty close contest. The 4 iron is a little shorter but has a more consistent ball flight.

Was at the Love is in the Air THP event this past weekend and had a chance to play two rounds with the newly installed REL 3Gen grips this past weekend. Temps were pretty high and the grips worked great in the heat. Had two solid rounds of iron play and was able to hit some nice shots.

A few that stood out, Saturday round. par 3 150yds. Hit a perfect draw into a front right pin, the ball landed pin high but jumped left pretty hard and ended up off the green. Could not have hit a better shot, just a bad break on where the ball ended up.

Sunday round, par 3 180 into the wind. Hit a straight 5 iron and landed and stopped pin high, 4 or five feet left of the flag. Unfortunately, Jamie missed the birdie putt but made par.
Par 5 185 to green (all carry over hazard). After dunking my first shot into the drink w/ my 3 hybo from 225, I took a drop where the ball entered the hazard, had about 185 to middle of the green. Hit the 5 flush and actually ended up behind the green on a small hill, got out of there w/ a bogey.

I have never had as much confidence w/ long irons as I do standing over the i25's. I know I am going to make good contact and be on line majority of the time. These are an absolute pleasure to game.

Was at the Love is in the Air THP event this past weekend and had a chance to play two rounds with the newly installed REL 3Gen grips this past weekend. Temps were pretty high and the grips worked great in the heat. Had two solid rounds of iron play and was able to hit some nice shots.

A few that stood out, Saturday round. par 3 150yds. Hit a perfect draw into a front right pin, the ball landed pin high but jumped left pretty hard and ended up off the green. Could not have hit a better shot, just a bad break on where the ball ended up.

Sunday round, par 3 180 into the wind. Hit a straight 5 iron and landed and stopped pin high, 4 or five feet left of the flag. Unfortunately, Jamie missed the birdie putt but made par.
Par 5 185 to green (all carry over hazard). After dunking my first shot into the drink w/ my 3 hybo from 225, I took a drop where the ball entered the hazard, had about 185 to middle of the green. Hit the 5 flush and actually ended up behind the green on a small hill, got out of there w/ a bogey.

I have never had as much confidence w/ long irons as I do standing over the i25's. I know I am going to make good contact and be on line majority of the time. These are an absolute pleasure to game.

I was wondering how these did for ya buddy, I heard you hit some really really nice iron shots over the event, love seeing it was true and the i25's are working so well for ya. Mine are going back into the bag tomorrow and I'm eager to get crackin' with them again, will be interesting to move back to their stronger lofts yet shorter overall club lengths than the M3's.

I was wondering how these did for ya buddy, I heard you hit some really really nice iron shots over the event, love seeing it was true and the i25's are working so well for ya. Mine are going back into the bag tomorrow and I'm eager to get crackin' with them again, will be interesting to move back to their stronger lofts yet shorter overall club lengths than the M3's.

They are fantastic. The feel is amazing and the lightweight graphite shafts are very impressive.

Didn't realize the M3's were weaker, just looked at those, i25's and Ap2 specs.

Got a set of these coming in Tuesday or Wednesday, very excited to see how I do with them compared to my rocketbladez.... they're likely headed for sale

Got a set of these coming in Tuesday or Wednesday, very excited to see how I do with them compared to my rocketbladez.... they're likely headed for sale

Nice! Hope you love them and much as I do. They are a great set. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Nice! Hope you love them and much as I do. They are a great set. Looking forward to your thoughts.

absolutely! Hoping they get here Tuesday so I can use them wed morning. Will post some thoughts

I went from Rocketballz to these. I haven't looked back. No comparison in the control department.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Looking forward to concluding some other obligations and getting these back in the bag after today, its always interesting to move to something else and come back to see if perception about performance has changed for me or not.

Mi went from i20s to the X2 Hot Pros and gained a full club of distance... I'm missing my former accuracy, though. I think I saw once in the thread that some may have gained a 1/2 club length of their prior clubs, but curious about this for sure. I'm VERY tempted to look at going back to Ping... Again. What distance are you seeing vs other clubs?

Example: i20 8 iron was my 150 club, now it's my 9 iron with the X2 Hot Pro. CFS stiff was in i20, now have PXi 6.5...

Mi went from i20s to the X2 Hot Pros and gained a full club of distance... I'm missing my former accuracy, though. I think I saw once in the thread that some may have gained a 1/2 club length of their prior clubs, but curious about this for sure. I'm VERY tempted to look at going back to Ping... Again. What distance are you seeing vs other clubs?

Example: i20 8 iron was my 150 club, now it's my 9 iron with the X2 Hot Pro. CFS stiff was in i20, now have PXi 6.5...

i20's I saw a 155 8i, w/ the i25's I'm at 160. Comparatively the M3's were 155, the Apex 165ish (little more), SpeedBlade 165, and Yonex XP's 170 (they're just silly)

i20's I saw a 155 8i, w/ the i25's I'm at 160. Comparatively the M3's were 155, the Apex 165ish (little more), SpeedBlade 165, and Yonex XP's 170 (they're just silly)

Pretty similar to what I see. The i25's aren't as long as a few other options but they aren't as far behind as I would have expected. I definitely feel like I have better accuracy. Even from 200 yards out I have been tighter than I was with other irons.

I tried these out a few weeks ago at a demo day by me, I only hit about half a dozen balls but dam they felt nice. It was the very first time I had ever hit Ping clubs, even after those 6 or so balls I wouldn't say no to putting these in my bag. The club was just standard 7i and it must have been perfect for me as the hits just felt great, also the sound was nice to.

Back